PDA

View Full Version : Monk Armor Bonus

GhengisConrad
2014-01-01, 04:05 AM
I plan on playing a character with a high wisdom bonus... and plan on taking some monk levels anyway... but then I can't wear armor.... any easy ways aroudn that... or any easy ways to gain an armor bonus without wearing armor... or.... what?

juicycaboose
2014-01-01, 04:09 AM
A cleric friend with magic vestment, or buying bracers of armor are probably the easiest two ways

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-01, 04:12 AM
The most obvious answer is to take a two level dip in swordsage but ToB is unfortunately high on the commonly banned book list.

Is there any particular reason you're worried about getting armor? If it's just a platform for special ability armor enhancements I believe there's a rule somewhere that says you can put those on bracers of armor.

GhengisConrad
2014-01-01, 04:13 AM
no binder or totemist shenanigans that somehow give you something akin to mage armor at will, or all day, or anything.... hmmmm.... I'm getting like... +8 to my wisdom modifier racially.... so it seems like I should just do the monk AC without armor and call it a day untill I can aford bracers of armor... but... there... has... got... to .... be ... a .... better.....w ayy........

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-01, 04:16 AM
Alright Jim.

Anyway the ankheg breastplate 'meld gets you an armor bonus to AC dependent on essentia invested. The worm tail belt does the same for natural armor and the crystal helm 'meld gets you deflection. There's the three most common types of AC bonus in soulmeld form right there.

GhengisConrad
2014-01-01, 04:43 AM
Alright Jim.

Anyway the ankheg breastplate meld

"It is treated as light armor for the purpose of determining your
speed and adjudicating class features dependent on armor."

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-01, 04:50 AM
"It is treated as light armor for the purpose of determining your
speed and adjudicating class features dependent on armor."

Hmm. Forgot that bit. Still, the other two can still be useful.

And nothing at all for the star trek reference?

Jim. James T. Kirk. Played by William Shattner. He.... talked like this, because........ the writers...... kept changing..... his lines. :smalltongue:

Kennisiou
2014-01-01, 05:00 AM
Seriously, Tome of Battle. Two levels Swordsage. Gives you Wis to AC and lets you wear light armor. It's pretty solid and if ToB is banned then just... it's a silly ban by a silly person.

gartius
2014-01-01, 05:10 AM
get your wizzard friend to cast mage armour.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-01, 05:10 AM
if ToB is banned then just... it's a silly ban by a silly person.

So it begins.

CIDE
2014-01-01, 05:59 AM
I think it's been a while since the "ToB is overpowered!" "NO IT'S NOT!" argument.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-01, 06:30 AM
I think it's been a while since the "ToB is overpowered!" "NO IT'S NOT!" argument.

It hasn't been long enough. :smallamused:

Maybe I can do the whole thing at once and we can skip it.

Detractor; it's too wuxia.
Proponent; western martial arts were quite extensive and had flowery names for their techniques too.
D; it's overpowered.
P; if you actually run the numbers it's plainly not.
D; it doesn't fit with the flavor of the rest of the game.
P; the flavor of the game is all over the place; from samurai and shamans to eldritch abominations that should not be to classic elves and dwarves to magitech to suvival to etc, etc.
D; it's unrealistic
P; you're complaining about realism in a game where people do combat with dragons, demons, and other monsters and where, by level 10 or so, even a completely non-magical character can shatter world records in athletic endeavors with only a modicum of skill in building the character. Mundanes deserve nice things too.
D; it's too complicated
P; compared to casters?
D; well I still don't like it.
P; you're entitled, even welcome, to your opinion. You don't have to like it and you don't have to use it. Just be honest about the fact that you're not using it because you don't like it and stop perpetuating the misinformation.
D; How dare you accuse me of spreading misinformation!
P; I didn't mean any offense.
D; well what about this; <reframes one of the previous points>
P; As was previously mentioned <repeats appropriate answer>
D; <repeats his previous line>
P; <repeats his previous line>

ad infinitum

That ought to do it. (hopefully)

KillianHawkeye
2014-01-01, 08:57 AM
And nothing at all for the star trek reference?

Jim. James T. Kirk. Played by William Shattner. He.... talked like this, because........ the writers...... kept changing..... his lines. :smalltongue:

Is that really the reason?? I never knew that! :smalleek::smallconfused:

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-01, 09:01 AM
Is that really the reason?? I never knew that! :smalleek::smallconfused:

That's how Shattner tells it, anyway.

Kennisiou
2014-01-01, 09:09 AM
That's how Shattner tells it, anyway.

Shatner was apparently, like, a really good theatrically trained actor and singer. His... pedigree for inability to think of a more fitting word really indicates that he should've been, like a way better actor than he was.

But then, he had a unique presence and formed a memorable character that endures to this day, so I guess it's really hard to say he was bad considering.

SowZ
2014-01-01, 09:16 AM
Shatner was apparently, like, a really good theatrically trained actor and singer. His... pedigree for inability to think of a more fitting word really indicates that he should've been, like a way better actor than he was.

But then, he had a unique presence and formed a memorable character that endures to this day, so I guess it's really hard to say he was bad considering.

Fortunately, any talents he may have lacked in the acting field, he made up for by being one of the most well regarded, self-insert fan fic science fiction authors of his generation. Does it count as self-insert fan-fic when you actually are the series' main character?

ShurikVch
2014-01-01, 09:31 AM
How about some Dragon stuff?
Dr#342, "Ecology of the Adventurer"
Example Adventurer, Morgan Ironwolf, have
+5 greater energy resistance (all), heavy fortification, spell resistance 19, mithral breastplate (count as no armor)
Note: 342 is April issue :smallwink:

Brookshw
2014-01-01, 09:32 AM
Well played Kelb, you've completed the ToB argument AND derailed the thread to a shattner discussion.

/tip hat.

Osiris
2014-01-01, 09:38 AM
Monk's Belt and high wisdom. If you want an armor bonus, get Bracers of Armor, or just have someone cast Mage Armor (or Greater Mage Armor)

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-01, 09:48 AM
Well played Kelb, you've completed the ToB argument AND derailed the thread to a shattner discussion.

/tip hat.

..... Dear gods, I did, didn't I?

I feel I owe the OP an apology. Sorry, dude.

.... But as long as we're on it anyway, I never was a huge trek fan but I always thought Shatner was awesome in the role of Denny Crane on Boston Legal. There was no frequent pausing there. Just a touch of mad cow.

Prime32
2014-01-01, 10:36 AM
There are a few ways for monks to wear armour. (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=10747.msg177617#msg177617) Bracers/Vestments of armor are the easiest, being essentially a +0 AC suit of armor with no penalties that can be enchanted at normal cost.

ericgrau
2014-01-01, 10:40 AM
+1 to mage armor or greater mage armor. The mage can get it on you 24 hours for way cheaper than the bracers. If you can't do that then it's usually still cheaper to spam potions rather than using the bracers of armor. If you are constantly ambushed in the woods while traveling for more than 24 hours... then I'd use the bracers as a last resort. And if they are less than +4 I'd still carry potions of mage armor. Even if you blow 500 gp each session spamming it several times a campaign it's still less than 16,000 gp.

Andezzar
2014-01-01, 02:37 PM
If you are some kind of prepared caster, use (greater) luminous armor instead of mage armor. Not only can it be cast by divine spellcasters as well, it also gives a better bonus and a debuff in melee. If you are a divine caster, chances are you even have lesser restoration to cure the STR damage afterwards.

KillianHawkeye
2014-01-01, 05:31 PM
If you are some kind of prepared caster, use (greater) luminous armor instead of mage armor. Not only can it be cast by divine spellcasters as well, it also gives a better bonus and a debuff in melee. If you are a divine caster, chances are you even have lesser restoration to cure the STR damage afterwards.

While luminous armor is indeed much better than standard mage armor, this option is limited to LG Monks only (spell only castable on Good target, Monk must be Lawful).

Andezzar
2014-01-01, 05:45 PM
While luminous armor is indeed much better than standard mage armor, this option is limited to LG Monks only (spell only castable on Good target, Monk must be Lawful).Ah, I forgot about the target restriction. Sanctified spells can be cast by all non-evil prepared casters.

Vertharrad
2014-01-01, 05:54 PM
Actually it's all good clerics can cast sanctified spells spontaneously.

Andezzar
2014-01-01, 06:16 PM
Actually it's all good clerics can cast sanctified spells spontaneously.Almost. You have to be a prepared caster to cast sanctified spells at all. Clerics (in addition to preparing those spells) can cast them just like the cure X spells i.e. spontaneously.

Captnq
2014-01-01, 08:11 PM
Check out my sig. Get the files. Keyword search "Monk". Specifically the Beekeeper's Outfit. Also, you can get a set of +1 Bracers with up to +5 ASAs, then get a set of Ward Cestus, get them with the Armored WSA at +1 for 2,000 gp and add another +5 ASAs. Repeat with weapons on your feet, hands, elbows, knees, forehead, until you have every Armor Special Ability you want as cheap as you could possibly want it.

Also get the Necklace of Natural Weapons, and using the Armored WSA AGAIN (yes, it would stack), you can add even more ASAs. Basically just cherry pick until you are bristling with defenses. Stand there and look very silly in your beekeeper outfit, but enjoy the overwhelming defenses.

Captnq
2014-01-01, 08:21 PM
Also, I should point out, that I personally believe that any suit of armor that does NOT have a value for max dex should be usable by a Monk. That is a personal choice and a house rule, but I have the argument spelled out under the beekeeper outfit.

For example, The bondleaf wrap is a frickin' LEAF that is part of your SKIN. Frankly, I think it should be under grafts, not armor. The Gnome twist cloth are strips of cloth hanging off your body for crying out loud.

Also, look into body modification under Dragon Mag #359

Also, if you REALLy want to twist the rules, get a suit of armor, give it halfweight, then give it armor spikes. Now it is a melee weapon. make it a Illithid Weapon Graft. It's now an extraordinary ability, and no longer armor because it's a GRAFT!

Your DM will now beat you to death with your own endocrine system.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-01, 09:49 PM
Check out my sig. Get the files. Keyword search "Monk". Specifically the Beekeeper's Outfit. Also, you can get a set of +1 Bracers with up to +5 ASAs, then get a set of Ward Cestus, get them with the Armored WSA at +1 for 2,000 gp and add another +5 ASAs. Repeat with weapons on your feet, hands, elbows, knees, forehead, until you have every Armor Special Ability you want as cheap as you could possibly want it.

Also get the Necklace of Natural Weapons, and using the Armored WSA AGAIN (yes, it would stack), you can add even more ASAs. Basically just cherry pick until you are bristling with defenses. Stand there and look very silly in your beekeeper outfit, but enjoy the overwhelming defenses.

The "armored" WSA has me intrigued. I downloaded your compendium but I didn't see "armored" in the WSA file. Where is it from?

Captnq
2014-01-01, 10:01 PM
The "armored" WSA has me intrigued. I downloaded your compendium but I didn't see "armored" in the WSA file. Where is it from?

Oh, Terribly sorry. Extrapolated Weapon Special Abilities. It's the extrapolation of the ability out of the sword of the diplomat.

Captnq
2014-01-01, 10:10 PM
Holy crap I'm an idiot.

Warforged. They come with armor that a monk can use. They also come with a natural slam attack that can be part of a flurry of blows.

Funny Story, if a Warforged gets Mighty Arms grafted on, he gets an extra slam attack for 1,000 gp. Yes, a warforged can replace his arms for warforged arms. Plus warforged can use a feat to get a bite attack. Seriously. Warforged can really stack on the natural attacks. Get's kinda sick. Especially if you start upping your base damage.

Highly recommend the Maug Spike Stones with any monk or natural attacker.

Pickford
2014-01-01, 10:45 PM
Kelb_Panthera:

Jim. James T. Kirk. Played by William Shattner. He.... talked like this, because........ the writers...... kept changing..... his lines.

Hrm...I don't think he did any of that stuttering at all in the movies, so it sounds plausible to me.

cakellene
2014-01-02, 12:27 AM
Monk's Belt and high wisdom. If you want an armor bonus, get Bracers of Armor, or just have someone cast Mage Armor (or Greater Mage Armor)

It won't stack though, right? Both being armor bonuses.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-02, 12:30 AM
It won't stack though, right? Both being armor bonuses.

In fact they will stack. The monk's wis bonus to AC is not an armor bonus.

cakellene
2014-01-02, 12:31 AM
In fact they will stack. The monk's wis bonus to AC is not an armor bonus.

I was referring to ac bonus from monk levels, not wis to ac.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-02, 12:36 AM
I was referring to ac bonus from monk levels, not wis to ac.

That bonus is untyped and would also stack with any other bonuses to AC.

Prime32
2014-01-02, 05:16 AM
Oh, Terribly sorry. Extrapolated Weapon Special Abilities. It's the extrapolation of the ability out of the sword of the diplomat.The sword of the diplomat is just a +3 defending short sword and a slotless bracers of armor +4 (using pre-MIC pricing rules). It doesn't stack with itself, and it's not very cost-effective either.