PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a Warlock sniper

Heliomance
2014-01-01, 10:21 AM
I'm building an ECL 6 Warlock, focused around being very sneaky,taking potshots from hiding and hopefully never being seen. I'm torn between three races:
Petal from MM3: +10 Dex, 60ft fly speed, Tiny, but +2 LA.
Tibbit from Dragon Compendium: +4 Dex and Tiny in cat form, no LA, but no flight.
Sparrow Hengeyokai from Oriental Adventures: Fine in Sparrow form, 50ft fly speed,no LA, but Dex gets set to 23 rather than being based on your native Dex and magic items stop working.

Thoughts? I was also wondering about multiclassing with rogue to get sneak attack.

Dming For Noobs
2014-01-01, 11:07 AM
If you have buyoff, choose the petal, if not choose the Tibbit.

And one nice thing is Practiced Spell caster specifically advances Elderich Blast, so you only need One level of warlock.

Snowbluff
2014-01-01, 11:12 AM
This is actually a spot where i would suggest Psionic Shot. Make sure to get a good essence.

You can only SA a short distance. "Sniper" usually takes some finagling. I suggest the Craven feat.

For a race, I like Marrulurk (2d6 SA, Cha Death Attack). Pixies are top notch for greater invisibility.

Heliomance
2014-01-01, 11:18 AM
Where's psionic shot from? Also marrulurk? And pixies fail against see invisibility, whereas mundane stealth doesn't.

Snowbluff
2014-01-01, 11:23 AM
Where's psionic shot from? Also marrulurk? And pixies fail against see invisibility, whereas mundane stealth doesn't. Yeah, with 250 feet of range, See Invisibility isn't going to be an issue. That's like a -25 to spot. ON the other hand, mundane stealth requires a bunch of other stipulations that are hard to ensure at lower levels.

Psionic Shot (and the greater, if you have the BAB) are in the Expanded Psionics Handbook. +2d6 after expending your psionic focus.

Marrulurk is Sandstorm. Under "Marruspawn." 3 HD 1 LA

Grod_The_Giant
2014-01-01, 11:42 AM
If you can get Fell Flight and Walk Unseen (not sure what the rules are for Warlocks learning new invocations post-6th in E6), go for the Tibbit. If not, I'd go with the Hengeyokai-- you're probably not going to get your Dex that much higher in E6, and you can get away with fewer magic items. (But still, look into Wilding Clasps)

You probably don't want to lose any Warlock levels, since doing so will keep you from getting your Lesser Invocation(s). But if you just want the ranged touch attack, you might think about going up through Scout-- skirmish works nicely with Eldrich Blast.

Vhaidara
2014-01-01, 12:22 PM
Grod, starting ECL is 6. It's not an E6 campaign (as far as I can see)

I second scout/warlock, although if it is true that Practiced Spellcaster works for EB, here's my recommendation:
Warlock 1, Scout 3, Ranger X using Swift Hunter to stack Scout and Ranger for Skirmish/Favored Enemy, as well as precision damage to favored enemies. Then stack Practiced Spellcaster to keep EB damage up.

Dr. Azkur
2014-01-01, 02:08 PM
Don't forget to take Quicken and Maximize Spell-like Ability eventually!

I'd go with the sparrow hengeyokai, they're just too cool.