PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Int-based divine casting?

Valwyn
2014-01-01, 10:41 AM
I was wondering, is there a divine caster class other than Archivist that uses Intelligence for its spells? Or some way to change the casting stat to Int? For flavor reasons, I was hoping for an assassin-type PrC (with at least 3rd level spells), but divine and Int based, but any will do.

Another build-related question: do Canny Defense (Duelist) and Unfettered Defense (Invisible Blade) stack with each other or just overlap? Both add Int to AC, but only up to class level.

Forrestfire
2014-01-01, 11:11 AM
I don't know the answer to the first question, but since both of the abilities in the second question are untyped bonuses, they stack, because they're not from the same source.

Chronos
2014-01-01, 11:19 AM
There's a feat from one of the Dragonlance books called "Lost Tradition" that lets you change your casting stat to whatever you want. Your DM may or may not accept it, though.

Karnith
2014-01-01, 11:20 AM
In answer to the first question, I don't believe that there are any Int-based divine caster classes aside from Archivist.

With a dip in a class that lets you cast divine spells you could be a Wizard (etc.) and modify all of your arcane spells with the Alternate Source Spell feat (from Dragon Magazine #325) to make them divine spells. Note that you'd cast all of said spells at a lower caster level than usual, which, depending on your DM, may run afoul of minimum caster level rules.

I know of two third-party feats that will let you become an Int-based divine caster (at least partially):
Academic Priest, from Legend of the Twins, can only be taken at first level and lets you use Intelligence to determine bonus spells per day and maximum spell level (but not spell save DCs) for divine casting.
Lost Tradition, from Bastards and Bloodlines, can only be taken at first level and lets you change a single class's casting stat to whatever stat you want.

Valwyn
2014-01-01, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the answers. :smallsmile:

I decided to go with just Invisible Blade since the build only has room for 5 more levels.

Lost Tradition sounds like what I was looking for. A shame there isn't a PrC with mid BAB and Int-based divine spells (the build has BAB 15), but I won't complain. :smallbiggrin: Now I just need to get the feat approved.

Jeff the Green
2014-01-01, 11:53 AM
Geomancer (CD) will do it if you have a level of wizard, beguiler, or wu jen by letting you set save DCs based on Intelligence. Everything else is normal, though.

DarkSonic1337
2014-01-01, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the answers. :smallsmile:

I decided to go with just Invisible Blade since the build only has room for 5 more levels.

Lost Tradition sounds like what I was looking for. A shame there isn't a PrC with mid BAB and Int-based divine spells (the build has BAB 15), but I won't complain. :smallbiggrin: Now I just need to get the feat approved.

Have you considered Ruby Knight Vindicator?

You'll be losing 2 spell levels, but it's a full bab class with maneuvers and very nice uses for turn undead, with access to the Shadow Hand school (along with White Raven, Devoted Spirit, and Stone Dragon). It also lets you make stealth checks in armor with no armor check penalty (full plate assassin :p) For fluff, they part of an order in service of Wee Jas, the goddess of death.

Particle_Man
2014-01-02, 12:10 PM
Do you want "divine" in order to get access to cleric and druid spell lists or do you want "divine" for other reasons? If the former, you could try the generic spellcaster.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm#spellcaster

Captnq
2014-01-02, 12:17 PM
Uhh... my handbook in my sig.

EVD/
Spells/
Spellcasting Classes v1.01.xls

It's in excel.

Just the excel sheet is HERE (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=5044.msg73050#msg73050).