PDA

View Full Version : Stats for an Exiled Varoot

Vhaidara
2014-01-01, 02:26 PM
The Varoot are a type of Nerra (the weakest kind), which is an outsider from Fiend Folio. They are basically mirror people

I have an interest in playing an outcast varoot, with a similar idea to Jaboli from the NWN: Kingmaker module (she was a Rakshasa Wizard with significantly reduced powers due to an exile).

So, the base Varoot has, at LA +3
Outsider type (shown by Lesser Planetouched to be worth +1LA on its own)
SLAs: 3/day Change Self (pretty sure that's 3.0 for Disguise Self), 1/day Mirror Image. CL 12, DC is Cha-based.
Reflective SR 13 (reflects spells that fail to overcome it at the caster, nonscaling. Also provides immunity to gaze attacks)
Sonic Vulnerability: 50% increased damage from Sonic
Resistances: 5 to Fire, cold, and electricity
Mirror Jump: At-will Shadow Walk, but through the Plane of Mirrors and requires a reflective surface as entry and exit points. Metal armor can be used as an entry, but only with up to a 30% chance of success (DM discretion)
Shard Weapon Specialty: Gains Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Shard Longsword and Shard Dagger). Shard weapons are Nerra creations that act, unenchanted, as +2 Wounding weapons when wielded by someone proficient with them.
+3 Natural Armor
Ability Scores: +4 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Wis, +6 Cha

Now, as part of my exile, I was going to have lost the Mirror Image SLA, the reflective property of my SR, my shard weapons (not the proficiency, but the actual weapons), lower my NA by 2, and change my stat to the following
-2 Str, +4 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Cha

Further, because I am in exile, it is suicidal for me to use my Mirror Jump ability. I want to keep it as a panic button that could have some fun plot points, and this keeps me from abusing it.

So, what I'm wondering is what LA is fair on this variant of the race
Outsider
SLA: Disguise Self 3/day, CL 12
SR 13 (nonscaling)
Sonic Vulnerability
5 Fire, Cold, and Electricity Resistance
Mirror Jump: As above, but will be executed upon entering the Plane of Mirrors
Shard Weapon Specialty: As above, but I lack the weapon or means to get one without the DM letting me
NA +1
Ability Scores: -2 Str, +4 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Cha

Thoughts, everyone?

Vhaidara
2014-01-01, 07:51 PM
Nobody? Please?

TuggyNE
2014-01-01, 08:12 PM
Probably around +2, or maybe a very strong +1.

Vhaidara
2014-01-01, 08:21 PM
And would dropping the outsider type help? I'm mostly trying to gauge where the power is coming from.

Also, how do you feel about the original as a LA +3? Barring the fact that +3 LA is pretty bad as a whole.

TuggyNE
2014-01-01, 10:42 PM
And would dropping the outsider type help? I'm mostly trying to gauge where the power is coming from.

That would be … weird. You don't stop being an Outsider just because you got exiled, any more than a dwarf banished from their caves suddenly turns into a halfling. If there was some sort of really powerful magical ritual to exile and transmogrify you, maybe, but otherwise not so much.

Also, how do you feel about the original as a LA +3? Barring the fact that +3 LA is pretty bad as a whole.

It looks more or less right to my eyes; it's nearly as good as a pixie, which is generally considered about the only worthwhile +4.

Vhaidara
2014-01-01, 10:58 PM
Like I said, that question was more to try and pin down where the power was since the difference between normal and lesser planetouched is the type and the LA.

Yeah, it does naturally seem to be on the very high end of LA +3. Fiend Folio is just so completely hit and miss on LA and CR (unconnected, I know, but still)

What changes would bring it down to a fair LA +1? I'm assuming I would have to remove the SR completely?