PDA

View Full Version : Laptop screen replacement

noparlpf
2014-01-01, 03:32 PM
Kind of a weird question, but how bad an idea would it be to try to mount an HDMI monitor on my old laptop's base? The bloody graphics card cable is so poorly designed that every time I replace it it just wears out again in a few months, so the screen never works and I've just removed it so I can use an external monitor anyway

Grinner
2014-01-01, 06:45 PM
Assuming you can get it set up while headless, that's actually pretty clever.

Drumbum42
2014-01-02, 01:09 PM
Are you going to be mobile with it? Or tied to a desk. Because I don't think that the monitor will take a laptop power cable.

noparlpf
2014-01-02, 01:27 PM
Are you going to be mobile with it? Or tied to a desk. Because I don't think that the monitor will take a laptop power cable.

I'd like it to be mobile again, but that means figuring out some kind of battery pack for the monitor. Any ideas?

Grinner
2014-01-02, 04:49 PM
I'd like it to be mobile again, but that means figuring out some kind of battery pack for the monitor. Any ideas?

More importantly, do you intend to lug the monitor around? I thought you meant converting it into a desktop. Do they even sell monitors small enough to sit in the laptop's frame?

noparlpf
2014-01-02, 05:33 PM
More importantly, do you intend to lug the monitor around? I thought you meant converting it into a desktop. Do they even sell monitors small enough to sit in the laptop's frame?

Wide 18.5" monitors still exist, yeah. It's a big laptop. As it is now it's basically a desktop; I took the screen off and I'm using the laptop as a keyboard.