PDA

View Full Version : Divine spells that boost saving throws

Morphie
2014-01-01, 04:00 PM
Hello guys,
So, I'm looking for divine spells that can increase all saving throws, or only Will for my 8lvl druid. We have also a cleric in the party, so cleric spells are ok too.
So far I have Greater Resistance, Owl's Wisdom and Guidance (for the first one). What else can help?

Thanks.

Kuulvheysoon
2014-01-01, 04:14 PM
Owl's Insight from the Spell Compendium gives you an insight bonus to Wisdom, which would stack with the others you mentioned.

eggynack
2014-01-01, 04:15 PM
Well, you've got instant of power (FoW, 114) and twilight luck (BoED, 110), which are both decent and low level. Owl's insight (SpC, 152) is also a solid choice when you hit level nine, and alter fortune (PHB II, 101) can let you re-roll the saving throw, depending on why you need a high will save.

GreenETC
2014-01-01, 04:16 PM
Conviction (SpC) is another good one for doing Morale, which is a rare bonus to saves (that aren't fear).

Morphie
2014-01-01, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the tips so far.
Yes, Owl's Insight is a good one but I can only cast it at level 9, which will only happen if we survive the next battle - we think we're going to battle a mindflayer soon.

Instant of Power is cool, but we're playing in FR, so I can't use things from Eberron, should have said that in the first post, sorry.

Conviction is a great spell, I'll tell my friend that plays the cleric to keep it in mind :smallsmile:

Any other thoughts?

Zanos
2014-01-01, 04:32 PM
Recitation is a solid all around buff, but might not be worth the action/slot cost to cast at your current level.

GreenETC
2014-01-01, 04:44 PM
If you're worried about Mind Flayers, Freedom of Movement is a very good buff to grab, since it invalidates the entire point of the monster (plus some interpretations of FoM say it will let you move while stunned). Boosting your Will save to avoid the stun is going to be the most important thing, but the best thing you can do would be moving around so as to minimize the number of party members hit by his cone. Other than that, one or two solid hits should destroy him, and focusing on non-SR spells to stop him should make things even easier.

eggynack
2014-01-01, 04:54 PM
Heart of water makes for a significantly better freedom of movement than freedom of movement is. The spell level is lower, the duration is in some ways better, and you get a bunch of extra stuff on the side.

Morphie
2014-01-01, 04:59 PM
If you're worried about Mind Flayers, Freedom of Movement is a very good buff to grab, since it invalidates the entire point of the monster (plus some interpretations of FoM say it will let you move while stunned). Boosting your Will save to avoid the stun is going to be the most important thing, but the best thing you can do would be moving around so as to minimize the number of party members hit by his cone. Other than that, one or two solid hits should destroy him, and focusing on non-SR spells to stop him should make things even easier.

Does Freedom of Movement work against stuns? I have a Heart of Water spell ready to cast, so that will help.
About tactics, I'm planning on wildshaping to a desmodu hunting bat, which combined to Primal instinct adds up to +12 in Init so I have a better chance of going first. Then I'll fly to one of his flanks so he'll have to choose between targeting me or the rest of the group, cast kelpstrand so he won't be able to move or cast spells, then shoot him with a couple of splinterbolts. The other druid in the party will probably do something similar, but instead of kelpstrand she'll blind the guy with some blinding spittle. I think we're going to be ok, just want to make sure we survive the first round if he acts first.