PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] "Tell me what has more meaning than your own strength!"

Xefas
2014-01-01, 05:32 PM
Related Threads

This is intended as supplementary material for "Mythos" classes, three of which are listed below. It's a "Racial Paragon" in the same vein as the previously made "Human Paragon", here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320038), but for the Reth Dekala, a mysterious race presented in the Tome of Battle. I tweaked the cosmology associated with their history a bit, and filled in some gaps, but the stats given for them in that book can still be used to represent the "modern" weakened and enslaved versions of the race.

Also, I wrote this on a tiny, barely-functioning laptop with broken comma and period keys. All commas, periods, and question marks were ctrl+c/ctrl+v'd in. Holiday obligations have found my homebrewing heart bloodied but unbowed. :smalltongue:

The Olethrofex (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16517470)
The Teramach (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286983)
The Kathodos (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15947087)

http://i.imgur.com/dqtqnzI.png

"As the last of the Saiyans, we have flowing through our veins the blood of a warrior race. The more we fight, the more powerful we become. And with each fight, I'll become stronger and stronger. And, one day, I'll be strong enough to defeat Frieza, and I will rule the universe exactly as I was meant to." ~ Vegeta, Dragonball Z

The Mythic Reth Dekala

In antiquity, there was a legendary group of mercenaries, feared and lauded throughout all the land, known as the Reth Dekala. Unique in their time, this group transcended racial barriers, accepting members from all the gods' children, and they flourished for this reason, as each member brought with them the knowledge and expertise of their tribe or nation. But, as diverse as they were, every man and woman of the Reth held a unified set of traits. They were peerless warriors, one and all - the demonstration of this fact was part of a new Reth's initiation into their ranks. They held no loyalties to any power, law, morality, or group above their dedication to the Reth Dekala, save their own honor and strength, which was sacred beyond all else. And, for each Reth, the singular driving force in their life, their reason for being, their core motivation, was to fight, and become stronger, to become invincible and undefeatable by the merit of their own bodies and minds, to master what it is to be a warrior in all of its myriad paths and perspectives.

Together, the group traveled the world, buying and selling kingdoms with their swords as they searched for ever-greater power and ever more worthy opponents, sowing anarchy and terror even as they were romanticized in poetry and song. Decades passed, and many valiant souls stood in opposition to the Reth Dekala, but all were bent and broken until the chaos became so severe that it provoked the servants of the Gods of Law to act together despite their usual hostility towards one another. Scions and champions from dozens of faiths rallied behind crusaders of Hextor and Heironeous and the hosts of Heaven and Hell rode with them. Thousands of Reth Dekala perished, and for the first time that even the most ancient of them could remember, their valor wavered, and they retreated. But no simple withdrawal would do; they needed a place where the minions of Gods could not follow - one of them knew such a place, and opened a way.

On the other side, the Reth found a short respite from the grasp of death, but no lack of suffering and tribulation. Beneath the towering brass spires of the mad city they had stumbled upon, the basalt streets cooked through their boots with their intense heat, the air raked at their lungs, the myriad horrors that made the city their home looked at them with hunger and contempt, and the unmoving emerald sun in the sky blistered and melted their skin when they dared leave the cover of a building's interior. Yet, with their souls ignited by thoughts of vengeance and repentance for their lost honor, they persevered, learning from the demons they now lived among, and teaching them as well. Generations passed, and though the numbers of the Reth Dekala dwindled to mere hundreds, those that survived slowly gained fame and favor among the nobles of the mad city and were eventually granted an audience with their king. To the city's king, and sun, they pleaded for power and freedom, to make right the wrongs leveled against them. The sun named its price - their servitude, and so they bowed their heads one last time, and begged for the slavery the green sun offered.

The next time that the Prime saw the Reth Dekala, it was in a cataclysm of viridian sunfire as each ennobled warrior-prince of the Brass City came to claim the destruction that they now believed to be their right. Nations burned, cultures were scoured from the earth, Gods died. The people of the world fought for their lives, but the price for even one death among the Reth was untold ruin among the victors. It was only the passing of time that finally ended the last and greatest of their number, and the further march of years left them as myths and subjects of epic poetry.

But even in death, service owed to the brass king is owed still. The souls of the Reth Dekala were mutated and imprisoned in burning demonic flesh, made to serve the mad city forever more.

What was unknown to the Reth, and their king, was that the fires implanted in them were passed, however thinly, in their blood. That burning blood was dispersed among the mortal populace of the Prime during their reign of terror. Even now, millennia later, distant descendants of the Reth are awakened to strange and potent power forged in the heart of an alien star. Though inhibited by planar barriers, the green sun lurking in the depths of the Abyss hungers for their enslavement, as he sees them as the exploitation of a loophole in his agreement; creatures who took his power, but do not bear his chains. This cannot stand. But a true Reth is not something anyone may trifle with.

New Feat: The Emerald Prince Legacy
Prerequisite: One Mythos, Must have an ancestor that was a Reth Dekala enslaved by the Green Sun. (Possible candidates include most civilized humanoids and the subraces and offshoots thereof.)
Benefit: Choose one Mythos-granting class that you have levels in. You may treat the following Mythos as if they belonged to that class. Your maximum hit points increase by 1 for every [Combat Form] feat and every feat that references a "Martial Maneuver", "Martial Stance", or "Martial Discipline" in its prerequisites or benefits (excluding this one), that you possess.

If you somehow lose this feat, or no longer qualify for it, you cease to gain the benefits of the granted Mythos until you regain this feat or qualify for it once more.

Exceptional Mythos

Burning Spirit-Beacon Ignition
Prerequisite: -

The Demon Emperor is not subtle. When he rides to murder, he does so on a typhoon of shattered basalt and a thousand grinding wheels with a corona of emerald fire that lights the sky for thousands of miles and legions of shrieking, brazen seraphs that writhe licentiously upon obsidian palanquins while the world contorts beneath in the ecstatic agony of his presence. The condemned see their doom approaching, and they give their lord power by doing so.

As a move action, you may ignite your Anima, a brilliant aura of green light that suffuses your entire being and casts bright light out to 100ft and shadowy illumination for 200ft. While active, your anima grants a +3 bonus to all of your ability scores. However, the first time you take (Constitution modifier, minimum 1) hit points of damage from a single source while the Anima is active, it gutters away, removing the ability bonus and losing 20ft of its bright illumination and 40ft of its shadowy illumination per round until it goes out entirely, or is reignited.

When you roll initiative for a combat encounter, you may ignite your Anima without taking an action. You may quench your Anima to nothing by spending 5 minutes in peaceful meditation, removing the light and ability bonus.

Advanced
Aubade Magnificence Externalization: Your Anima now has two stages. When it is first ignited, its light shines twice as far as normal, and its ability bonuses are doubled. At this stage, your Anima also has a minor cosmetic warping effect on its environment, altering colors, distorting sounds, creating dramatic wind, or swirling bits of stone and dust, at your choice.

Now, the first time you take (Constitution modifier, minimum 1) hit points of damage from a single source, your Anima reverts to its normal brightness and bonuses. The second time you take the required amount of damage, as long as it's from a different creature or on a different round than the first source of damage, your Anima loses its bonuses and its illumination begins to recede as before.

Brazen Obelus Tegument

Your flesh takes on the metallic appearance of burnished brass, and your features become slightly harder and more statuesque. For some characters, this also alters their skin and eye color to something more inhuman, but it is not always the case. You no longer bleed, though deep wounds reveal veins of verdigris where your blood might've been. You gain Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat, and have Damage Reduction X/Lawful where X is equal to your class level.

At 4th level, you also have Fire Resistance equal to your class level.

At 9th level, the Damage Reduction granted by this Mythos becomes X/Lawful and Magic.

Green Sun Nimbus Flare

Whenever you make an attack, you may invest it with an impure imitation of the Green Sun's light, dealing additional fire damage equal to your highest ability modifier if the attack is successful, as tongues of emerald flame twist themselves around your weapon of choice.

Against Outsiders, characters that know divine spells, or those with access to divinely inspired martial disciplines (such as Devoted Spirit), this fire is replaced by a pure cosmic energy that is not subject to resistance or immunity, though its appearance remains fiery.

Advanced
Godscorch Invective: All fire damage you deal is corrupted by the light of the Green Sun, refining itself into cosmic power uninhibited by energy resistance or immunity. This applies even to fire damage dealt by items you use, such as a +1 Flaming Longsword or a Wand of Fireball.

At 7th level, when the damage dealt by Green Sun Nimbus Flare harms an Outsider, character with divine spells, or martial initiator with a divinely inspired discipline, they must make a Will save. On a failed save, Outsiders lose a daily use of their highest level spell-like ability that has a daily use restriction (if multiple spell-like abilities qualify, they choose); divine spellcasters lose one spell of the highest level they have remaining for the day (if they are a prepared caster, they may choose which spell of the highest level to lose); if the initiator is in a stance from a divine discipline, they are removed from that stance - if they are not, one divine maneuver of their choice that they have currently readied is expended without effect.

If a character qualifies for more than one of these categories, they are punished only once on a failed save. Qualifying as an Outsider takes precedence over the others, unless they have no daily spell-like ability uses left to lose. Qualifying as a divine spellcaster takes precedence over being a martial initiator, unless they have no more spells remaining to lose.

Weakness-Browsing Arrogance

The Demon Emperor dares not consider his own flaws, lest his confidence break further still. Instead, he shines his arrogance as a spotlight, revealing the flaws of others as dark cracks that glare against his eyes and fill him with disgust.

You gain Knowledge Devotion as a bonus feat. Furthermore, there are two additional groups that you may gain Insight bonuses against by using the Knowledge Devotion feat, regardless of their Type. You may use the Martial Lore skill to gain an Insight bonus against creatures with a base attack bonus greater than 3/4 their hit dice, and the Spellcraft skill to gain an Insight bonus against creatures that can cast spells.

When you use a Knowledge skill to recall the traits of a particular creature, or to gain an Insight bonus against a creature via Knowledge Devotion, you gain a +2 circumstance bonus to the roll.

As a swift action, you may focus on one living creature you can see, discerning the following facts about it.

-Whether its Challenge Rating is Worthless (5 or more less than your ECL), Pathetic (2-4 less than your ECL), Insolent (equal to your ECL, plus or minus 1), Misleading (2-4 more than your ECL), or Impossible (5 or more greater than your ECL).
-The level of its highest level spell-like ability, spell, martial maneuver, psionic power, and mystery.
-Its spell resistance, power resistance, energy resistances, energy immunities, and damage reduction.
-Its Divine Rank.

Fantastic Mythos

Heaven-Scorching Sunfire Projection
Prerequisite: One Other Mythos granted by "The Emerald Prince Legacy" feat.

At will, you may increase your body temperature to sweltering levels. This provides you protection against mundane cold down to -40 degrees fahrenheit, but does not cause you particular discomfort in warm weather. In this heated state, you may project sustained bursts of flame that provide you with a Fly speed equal to your land speed with perfect maneuverability. In addition, whenever you spend an action to voluntarily move via your Fly speed, the flames you project are intense enough to deal fire damage equal to your highest ability modifier to everything in an adjacent space to your starting point, unless they make a Reflex save.

While heated, you may deal fire damage equal to your highest ability modifier to the target of your grapple whenever you make a successful grapple check.

You gain Desert Wind Dodge as a bonus feat (ToB), and add unarmed strikes to the list of weapons that may benefit from it.

Viridian Sunshine Devastation
Prerequisite: One Other Mythos granted by "The Emerald Prince Legacy" feat.

You gain the ability to project bolts of green sunfire from your limbs, eyes, and mouth, drawing upon the alien ember that has taken root in your soul. This functions exactly like a melee unarmed attack, except that it has a range increment of 40ft and a number of range increments equal to (highest ability modifier / 2, rounded up), and only deals half the normal damage, with all damage dealt as fire damage. Even abilities that grant additional unarmed attacks, such as the Snap Kick feat, two-weapon fighting with both hands, or the Flurry of Blows class feature, may be converted into sunbolts.

As a free action, you may draw more deeply from your soul's well of power. For the remainder of the round, each sunbolt you project does not halve its damage and its fire damage is refined into pure cosmic energy that is not subject to resistance or immunity. In addition, you may either ignore range increment penalties for your sunbolts for the round, or each sunbolt deals additional damage equal to (2 x your highest ability modifier). After using this surge of power, you may not do so again until 1d4 rounds have passed, and your reservoir has refilled.

Legendary Mythos

Bloodied-But-Unbowed Inviction
Prerequisite: Two Other Mythos granted by "The Emerald Prince Legacy" feat.

The greatest have the furthest to fall, and the overlord of all the primordial cosmos was struck down at the moment his hearts had reached their zenith, usurped by the golden insurgent who had stolen the shape and grandeur of his own soul. And he was not simply defeated. He was smote upon the omphalos of the Gods' new world, and hurled down into a pit of their fashioning. He was debased, humiliated, mutilated, and vivisected, his thoughts and authorities and dreams and light were stripped from his body like so much carrion beneath a murder of scavenger birds. Destroyed, they closed that abyss around him and let his broken flesh be the flesh of its walls where the misbegotten cancer of those infinite demons they could not annihilate could take root.

Though the glorious one of days past could not choose to be made whole again, he chose to live, against all sorrow and pain and reason, and one of the quenched corpses of his splintered hearts rose, flickering into pale green light in one of the central layers of the Abyss. The hate and despair of its death became a poison within that sun's light, and it vowed never to be defeated again.

Choose one Exalted Mythos from this class to pair with this Mythos, as well as one of its basic manifestations (if it has one). If you ever learn that Mythos, choose a different Mythos to pair with this one.

At the beginning of your next turn after you die, you may choose to return to life (climbing up from prone as a free action if you had fallen) at 1/2 your maximum hit point total. If you possess the 'Burning Spirit-Beacon Ignition' Mythos, it flares to its full effect, but with quadruple the normal level of illumination for its first stage. In addition, you gain access to the Exalted Mythos that you've paired with this one for the next 5 minutes, or until the end of the current combat encounter, whichever is longer. After this time expires, so does the extra illumination from your Anima, if you have one.

After you use this ability, your soul must recuperate for 24d4 hours before you may summon the desperate strength to use it again.

vasharanpaladin
2014-01-01, 08:04 PM
...I think my Teramach just found her fire. :smallbiggrin:

Network
2014-01-02, 06:45 PM
I think I can see some of the changes you made in their history. Their body of vilefire is no longer a curse but the power they traded for their allegiance, and they are not specifically native from Acheron but rather from some unspecified Brass City. You did make the mistake of confusing demons and devils though.

Also, I have some questions about how Bloodied-But-Unbowed Inviction works. You choose an exalted mythos from which class (I guess from the class selected for The Emerald Prince Legacy feat, but it just states ''this class'')? What if you already have all exalted mythos from the class? Can you select a lower-tier mythos if you want?

Amechra
2014-01-02, 06:53 PM
Reminds me... your never going to finish your Knack classes, are you?

Xefas
2014-01-02, 07:28 PM
...I think my Teramach just found her fire. :smallbiggrin:

Is there a story to this statement? :smallbiggrin:

Reminds me... your never going to finish your Knack classes, are you?

Affirmative. It was just a silly idea to pass the time. Not something I felt particularly dedicated to.

I think I can see some of the changes you made in their history. Their body of vilefire is no longer a curse but the power they traded for their allegiance, and they are not specifically native from Acheron but rather from some unspecified Brass City. You did make the mistake of confusing demons and devils though.

Highly unspecified. Yes.

I didn't confuse demons and devils. I intentionally made their powers demonic in origin, rather than infernal.

You choose an exalted mythos from which class (I guess from the class selected for The Emerald Prince Legacy feat, but it just states ''this class'')?

"this class" refers to the class that the Mythos belong to. When you take Emerald Prince Legacy, you add them to a class. So, yes, that's how it works.

What if you already have all exalted mythos from the class? Can you select a lower-tier mythos if you want?

You mean all the ones that I've written? I'd suggest just making a new Exalted Mythos of your own devising. But if you don't want to do that, and for some reason you still feel the need to grab Bloodied-But-Unbowed Inviction, I don't see the harm in picking something of a lower tier.

Primal Fury
2014-01-02, 10:11 PM
I always thought the Reth Dekala were kinda cool in theory, but felt a little... "meh" in execution. This certainly does make them live up to the fluff. Man... if those characters are only descendants of the Reth, I would hate to see what the ancient ones looked like.

Question: Why do none of these grant access to martial maneuvers or feats (save for Heaven-Scorching Sunfire Projection) even though the core feat works with it? Is this meant to work with the future Warrior Mythos class you mentioned in one of the other threads? Or is it something else?

Also... I love me some Malfeas. :smallwink:

Xefas
2014-01-02, 10:28 PM
Man... if those characters are only descendants of the Reth, I would hate to see what the ancient ones looked like.

One day I hope I'll have enough Mythos stuff together that they'll be easily playable.

Question: Why do none of these grant access to martial maneuvers or feats (save for Heaven-Scorching Sunfire Projection) even though the core feat works with it? Is this meant to work with the future Warrior Mythos class you mentioned in one of the other threads? Or is it something else?

It's meant to give a little incentive for the Mythic Reth to dabble in martial initiation, to represent that they've inherited a certain amount of interest in the martial arts from their bloodline (just as Mythic Humans inherit a fascination with apostasy and self-mutilation and Mythic Kobolds inherit a desire to become more dragon-like). This will probably give them some synergy with the theoretical Bellator class when it exists, yes.

I know it doesn't offer as easy of a health boost as the other two racial paragons I've done, since none of the Mythos themselves give you feats that qualify. I may have to throw in a tweak or two to rectify this.

Primal Fury
2014-01-02, 11:31 PM
One day I hope I'll have enough Mythos stuff together that they'll be easily playable.
What do you mean exactly? Are you treating the Reth as less of a race, and more of a community of different creatures that exclusively used Mythos classes?

commander panda
2014-01-02, 11:56 PM

lol, if you ever finish the mythos system, you should turn it into a pdf manual. i'm cheap as hell, and even i'd pay for that.

AvalonŽ
2014-01-03, 03:34 AM

Don't worry. I'll aid you in that quest. Hopefully I can post the Asimidasos by February

It's meant to give a little incentive for the Mythic Reth to dabble in martial initiation, to represent that they've inherited a certain amount of interest in the martial arts from their bloodline (just as Mythic Humans inherit a fascination with apostasy and self-mutilation and Mythic Kobolds inherit a desire to become more dragon-like). This will probably give them some synergy with the theoretical Bellator class when it exists, yes.

I know it doesn't offer as easy of a health boost as the other two racial paragons I've done, since none of the Mythos themselves give you feats that qualify. I may have to throw in a tweak or two to rectify this.

Now I'm imagining Reth Dekala patroned by the Silver Forest and Hall of Weapons Reflectionary.

Xefas
2014-01-03, 09:36 AM
What do you mean exactly? Are you treating the Reth as less of a race, and more of a community of different creatures that exclusively used Mythos classes?

Both? I imagine the bulk of them (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MenOfSherwood) were probably martial adepts of one stripe or another, with a small minority dabbling in a magical multiclass. The upper echelon (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BadassCrew) had Mythos classes, mostly Bellator, but with smatterings of others, as well as martial adept gishes, like Abjurant Champion or Ruby Knight Vindicator for variety's sake (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CarnivalOfKillers).

After a while, they interbred and developed their own unique culture, sewn together from the cultures of all the various members. Elvish flutes and Orcish bagpipes playing together around the campfire while they ate gnomish noodles in halfling bechamel and talked about the significance of hobgoblin grappling techniques in a human-derived fencing style with dwarven stances and footwork.

During their stay in the Brass City, they were probably very insular as a community, something like the Italians migrating to an Irish-dominated New York in ~1900. Those few that survived to return to the Prime were all Mythos characters of one stripe or another, with a lot more XP under their belt and some free Demon Emperor Mythos courtesy of the Green Sun. This is when they passed their mythic genes all over the mortal realm, and I think by this point they qualified as being distinct enough to be a "race". At least for my purposes. Even if mechanically they were Elves, or Half-Orcs, or 1/32nd~lings.

Don't worry. I'll aid you in that quest. Hopefully I can post the Asimidasos by February

Looking forward to it. :smallwink:

Now I'm imagining Reth Dekala patroned by the Silver Forest and Hall of Weapons Reflectionary.

I have words about the Silver Forest. Maybe that'll have to be my next supplement. I'm looking at some (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Ramza_Beoulve) characters (http://x-men.wikia.com/wiki/Rogue) for inspiration (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ditto_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29).

AvalonŽ
2014-01-03, 10:06 AM
I was actually wondering if I can do the Silver Forest? :smallbiggrin: There are a lot more fan-made charms for him than for the Black Boar.

Xefas
2014-01-03, 12:48 PM
I was actually wondering if I can do the Silver Forest? :smallbiggrin: There are a lot more fan-made charms for him than for the Black Boar.

Sure? I guess I've got lots of other stuff to do. Although, I'm not sure why the presence of pre-existing fan works for a different system altogether are swaying your decision one way or the other.

Saidoro
2014-01-03, 03:14 PM
What (http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101128061027/mspaintadventures/images/e/e8/Jackbec2.png), no (http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101128061009/mspaintadventures/images/0/01/Jackbec.png) Noir (http://www.deviantart.com/art/Bec-Noir-213687908)? He's even powered by the Green Sun in the source material :smalltongue:.

vasharanpaladin
2014-01-03, 03:20 PM

What dinosaur are you drinking from? Isidoros has more charms in one tree than the Forest has period. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GeLycp6xtVfvMp1FLcFYBfH4WIuingsLrDtY925F10Q/edit?pli=1) This isn't even the complete tree! :smallannoyed:

The_Final_Stand
2014-01-03, 06:16 PM
What (http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101128061027/mspaintadventures/images/e/e8/Jackbec2.png), no (http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101128061009/mspaintadventures/images/0/01/Jackbec.png) Noir (http://www.deviantart.com/art/Bec-Noir-213687908)? He's even powered by the Green Sun in the source material :smalltongue:.

Literally every time someone mentions the Green Sun in this section, I think to myself "But this has nothing to do with Homestuck!"

The last time this happened was when Xefas made a god of the Green Sun.

Xefas
2014-01-03, 07:14 PM

Except that I don't read Homestuck - kinda hard for me to draw inspiration from something I don't know about. Although, if I wrote more Mythos for the Demon Emperor, I could be persuaded to write one THAT GIVES YOU BONUSES FOR SHOUTING ALL OF YOUR CHARACTER'S DIALOGUE AT THE TABLE OR TYPING IT IN ALL CAPS FOR PLAY-BY-POST.

The last time this happened was when Xefas made a god of the Green Sun.

It's an Exalted thing. The Great Wheel is the world-body of a primordial imprisoned in Exalted Hell, and if you walk far enough in the D&D Brass City your character eventually crosses over game systems and ends up in White Wolf land (and vice versa). :smalltongue:

It's totally canon.

Adam1949
2014-01-03, 10:30 PM
So, Mr. Xefas, I have a question.
I was wondering if all of the mythos classes are based on Exalted characters, or just a few of them? Because I was thinking of making a Mythos Binder/Summoner/Whatever (the Seneschal), but I don't want to look silly by making something that doesn't thematically fit with the rest of your excellent work.

vasharanpaladin
2014-01-03, 11:54 PM
I was wondering if all of the mythos classes are based on Exalted characters, or just a few of them? Because I was thinking of making a Mythos Binder/Summoner/Whatever (the Seneschal), but I don't want to look silly by making something that doesn't thematically fit with the rest of your excellent work.

Echoing this sentiment, with the caveat that I have only the vaguest ideas to go on after the Olethrofex scared away my Underworld Mythos class. :smallsmile:

Primal Fury
2014-01-03, 11:57 PM
I was wondering if all of the mythos classes are based on Exalted characters, or just a few of them?
All of the classes are, yes, though I'm not sure where the Mythos Race ideas came from. The Teramach is based on Infernal Monster martial arts style, the Kathados on Dragonblood Exalts as a whole, and the Oleferblex (god I hate that name) on the Abyssal Exalted.

Because I was thinking of making a Mythos Binder/Summoner/Whatever (the Seneschal), but I don't want to look silly by making something that doesn't thematically fit with the rest of your excellent work.
Actually Exalted Sorcerers and Necromancers are perfectly in line with that sort of fluff; most of their magic has to do with invoking pacts made with spirits in ancient times, or warping laws to your own ends. There's also plenty of summoning too, though I'm not sure about binding so much (but there's no reason it couldn't fit in there).

Xefas
2014-01-03, 11:59 PM

Let me put it this way. Everyone's work tends to be derivative of what they like. I would assume even more so if they're doing it for fun, rather than within constraints in a work environment. People do things involving stuff they enjoy! I really like Exalted, which happens to be a game about awesome dudes that hit things with fists and fire and metal objects. D&D is a game about awesome dudes that hit things with fists and fire and metal objects, so when I make stuff for it, there's always going to be some Exalted inspiration.

I mean, Gary Gygax was reading Dying Earth and Lord of the Rings, and oh, hey, when he wrote a fantasy wargame, it had furry-footed hobbits and wizards that prepare compartmentalized spells from books full of diagrams and gibberish. It happens.

But, as I've continued making homebrew, I've tried to shy away from just drawing from the one source, and be more original. When I wrote the Infernal Monster Discipline ~3 years ago, it was a more-or-less straight translation of Exalted. The Teramach, in turn, draws on a lot of the same ideas, but aside from a few stolen names (which I've considered changing), it's only as inspired by Exalted as it is by the Hulk or Dragonball Z or Borderlands. Then, stuff like the Mythic Vashar and Mythic Kobold have almost no Exalted inspiration whatsoever.

This particular homebrew, the Mythic Reth Dekala, is intentionally a direct reference to fixtures in Exalted (but, to be fair, it's still decently tainted with Saiyans and Tamaraneans). But the next thing I make will probably have nothing to do with it (I'm thinking Mythic Lycanthropes).

So, in conclusion, do whatever. I'd say the only flavor guidelines I have for Mythos classes are that:

1) Mythic characters are great people. Whatever talent they have can be used to change the world. They aren't soldiers that level up and become slightly better soldiers. They're sword-saints that level up and become forces of destruction. They aren't thieves that aspire to run a criminal guild, they're bandit queens and kingslayers that will one day see the world dance on their puppet-strings.

2) They use the Planescape/Great Wheel cosmology. Because I can't be arsed to learn what esoteric strata Eberron and Dragonlance revolve on. :smalltongue:

3) They use a lot of flowery proper nouns. Just, everywhere. Have I ever said how proud I am of the name "Psychotic Sapience-Brutalizing Devolution"? Gods forbid I ever have children.

Primal Fury
2014-01-04, 12:55 AM
It's meant to give a little incentive for the Mythic Reth to dabble in martial initiation, to represent that they've inherited a certain amount of interest in the martial arts from their bloodline (just as Mythic Humans inherit a fascination with apostasy and self-mutilation and Mythic Kobolds inherit a desire to become more dragon-like).
Would it be alright if it went further into that just using the Reth Mythos rather than the Bellator? Or is that not cool?

vasharanpaladin
2014-01-04, 09:08 PM
Pity me, for I have had an idea. :smallfrown:

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii59/vasharanpaladin/LightMythosBanner.png (http://s261.photobucket.com/user/vasharanpaladin/media/LightMythosBanner.png.html)

Primal Fury
2014-01-04, 09:11 PM
Two questions: "What is that supposed to be?" And "How do you guys do that!? I've been trying and failing for the longest time! " :smallfrown:

Amechra
2014-01-04, 09:34 PM
"Probably some form of uber-good guy" and "GIMP, my good man/woman/furry being from Proxima Centauri"

Xefas
2014-01-04, 09:35 PM
Would it be alright if it went further into that just using the Reth Mythos rather than the Bellator? Or is that not cool?

I'm trying to keep each feat down to 7 granted Mythos. Otherwise, I totally would.

Pity me, for I have had an idea. :smallfrown:

Good luck. I've gotten PMs from ~a half dozen different people since I posted the Teramach, talking about Mythos classes they wanted to make. Have yet to see one. And I so badly wish to.

"What is that supposed to be?"

Some manner of unthinkable shining horror. :smallwink:

vasharanpaladin
2014-01-04, 09:41 PM
"Probably some form of uber-good guy" and "GIMP, my good man/woman/furry being from Proxima Centauri"

"First thing that stuck in my head was 'right makes might, and I'm righteous,'" and "what the blue hell is GIMP, anyway." :smalltongue:

You may very well be right! :smalleek:

Primal Fury
2014-01-04, 09:46 PM
I'm trying to keep each feat down to 7 granted Mythos. Otherwise, I totally would.
Ah. You've answered two questions then.

Good luck. I've gotten PMs from ~a half dozen different people since I posted the Teramach, talking about Mythos classes they wanted to make. Have yet to see one. And I so badly wish to.
It's really hard... I'm working on it, okay? :smallfrown:

:smallbiggrin: *snicker* :smallbiggrin:

vasharanpaladin
2014-01-04, 09:54 PM
Okay, fine, you got me, I'll admit that I may have entertained delusions of supplanting the "mythos paladin" idea with my thinly-veiled Solar-inspired whatchamajigger. :smallamused:

Adam1949
2014-01-04, 11:42 PM

Finally, I have finished my 2-by-4 picture for the Mythos Summoner (Binder, whatever); the Seneschal!
Now with 1/6 less bigness!

http://i.imgur.com/IaHE5QJ.jpg

Xefas
2014-01-04, 11:54 PM
Okay, fine, you got me, I'll admit that I may have entertained delusions of supplanting the "mythos paladin" idea with my thinly-veiled Solar-inspired whatchamajigger. :smallamused:

Do it!

Finally, I have finished my 2-by-4 picture for the Mythos Summoner (Binder, whatever); the Seneschal!

If you can find a better thread title than "I've got friends on the other side...", I will be duly impressed.

vasharanpaladin
2014-01-04, 11:55 PM

Oi, size it down, these banners should be 1000x500 pixels. 250x250 per image. :smallconfused:

EDIT: I suggest "Amidamaru, integrate!" if it matters. :smalltongue:

Adam1949
2014-01-05, 12:03 AM
If you can find a better thread title than "I've got friends on the other side...", I will be duly impressed.

Well, I was gonna go with either that or "You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?" I think the first is better for the class, though.

Oi, size it down, these banners should be 1000x500 pixels. 250x250 per image.

Huh, all of them were 250-by-250 when I threw it into the creator. It must've gotten bigger when it spit it back out. Oh well, fixed, now with 16.66666~% less bloat.

EDIT: Internet points to anyone who knows all 8 of them without looking them up!

Network
2014-01-05, 10:45 AM

Wait! No ninja? How could you! :smalleek:

I can recognize some of them, such as the two on the lower right side, but I have not even a clue for half of them. Too bad I don't collect internets.

Primal Fury
2014-01-05, 11:12 AM
But the next thing I make will probably have nothing to do with it (I'm thinking Mythic Lycanthropes).
How exactly is this going to work? Because the first thing that came to mind is the 5 forms of the Uratha and Garou (from the White Wolf Werewolf games).

Xefas
2014-01-05, 11:23 AM
EDIT: Internet points to anyone who knows all 8 of them without looking them up!

I know at least 4!

I can recognize some of them, such as the two on the lower right side, but I have not even a clue for half of them. Too bad I don't collect internets.

Let Keith David sing you a song. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY1TlxJORik)

How exactly is this going to work? Because the first thing that came to mind is the 5 forms of the Uratha and Garou (from the White Wolf Werewolf games).

You take some bond you have with nature, and subsume it into your legend. This allows you to subjugate and devour a lycanthropic curse that has hold of you, but your 'spirit animal' in that case has to be the one tied to the lycanthropy you had. Otherwise, you just pick a particular 'spirit animal' that dictates the aesthetics of your shapeshifting Mythos. Olethrofices that turn into half-jackals and Kathodos' that transform into half-red-pandas. That sort of thing.

edit:

http://i.imgur.com/g9Cu3zz.png

Network
2014-01-05, 12:03 PM
Let Keith David sing you a song. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY1TlxJORik)
Screw me! I knew I should've watched that movie.

Xefas, if you are interested in Mythos prestige classes, I have one here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16682200&postcount=11) that works with the existing base classes. I'm not sure if I should ask it in another thread (or by PM), but I'd appreciate your feedback.

Xefas
2014-01-05, 01:01 PM
Xefas, if you are interested in Mythos prestige classes, I have one here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16682200&postcount=11) that works with the existing base classes. I'm not sure if I should ask it in another thread (or by PM), but I'd appreciate your feedback.

A prestige class that turns the Teramach into an undead? :smallconfused:

http://i.imgur.com/uQAgcD7.gif

But only just. :smalltongue:

I put a link to it in the first post for the Teramach. I know it's accessible to the others, but I felt it was the most convenient place. The two tweaks that come to me off the top of my head is that Cold Hearted Hatred of Life and Deathly Body of Uttercold could use a tiny bit more power, and that the Heart Freezing Atrocity Void class feature should only offer a bonus Exceptional Mythos if the character already has it.

Other than that, pretty awesome. I'm still mulling over whether I think prestige classes like this should lose a level of Mythos progression at first level or not. Part of me dislikes the idea of weakening characters that are purposefully intended to be high-tier, but the other part of me doesn't want taking a prestige class to be a no-brainer for Mythos characters, as it is for spellcasters. Hmmmm.

Network
2014-01-05, 01:46 PM
A prestige class that turns the Teramach into an undead? :smallconfused:
My point of thought was hate > cold > uttercold > negative energy > undead, and I quite liked the idea of an person who feels so much hate that it literally maintain him into a supernatural existence, so I decided I'd let that exception slip through (instead of, say, make the character weaker by leveling up). Same reason why I used a Mythos usually reserved for human characters.

I'll see how I can improve the two Mythos. I'm open to suggestions. I'll make the other change you suggested.

In the case of the Uttercold Retributor, there are drawbacks to taking it. The chassis is slightly below the base classes, and you don't gain more Excellencies. This is a small difference, but still noticeable.

Xefas
2014-01-05, 06:35 PM
I was working on the Bellator today, and finally got around to drawing a Tarquin. So here is the new and improved roster...

http://i.imgur.com/kVRFWNk.png
...along with two Mythos inspired by the newcomers.

Empty-Handed Pugilist's Knack

Though Bellators are most known for their deadliness with blade, bludgeon, or spear, some find wisdom in picking up a trick here and there from those monks, pugilists, and street brawlers that live and die by the swiftness of their bare hands.

You gain Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat, and you may apply the fifth level benefit of your Equipment Mastery class feature to unarmed attacks.

Basic
Arrow-Catching Wits: You gain Deflect Arrows and Snatch Arrows as bonus feats. While wielding a two-handed weapon, you may release your grip on the weapon, utilize these feats, and place your hand back on your weapon with such dexterity that it requires no action or impediment to do so. Similarly, you may utilize these feats with a hand that is equipped with a shield smaller than a Tower Shield.

Giant-Foiling Contortion: You gain Clever Wrestling (CW) and Cunning Sidestep (Drac) as bonus feats. If your Dexterity score is higher than the Dexterity of the creature targetting you, double the bonuses granted by these feats.

Humiliating Heel-Sweep: You gain Dodge and Defensive Throw (CW) as bonus feats. When you attempt to trip a target with Defensive Throw, they may not react to counter-trip you if you fail.

I Punch Them In The Face: You gain Stunning Fist and Extra Stunning (CW) as bonus feats. You may use your Strength modifier in place of your Wisdom modifier for the purposes of calculating the saving throw DC of your Stunning Fist feat.

Advanced
Impressive Feat Abundance: You gain one Basic manifestation of this Mythos that you do not already possess.

Iron Stomach Development
Prerequisite: 1 rank in the Spellcraft skill, Must have quaffed at least one potion, and been poisoned at least once.

You gain a +4 competence bonus on saving throws against Poison. This becomes Immunity to Poison while you are actively benefiting from a potion.

When you drink a potion that heals damage to your hit points, you heal an additional (greater of your Strength modifier or your character level) points. When you drink a potion that does not heal damage to your hit points, but has an ongoing duration of 1 hour or less, double the duration. If you are poisoned when you drink a beneficial potion, you may make a new Fortitude save against the poison to shrug it off, and prevent further detriment.

Advanced
Tankard-Draining Alacrity: Once per round, you may retrieve a potion, or similarly sized drink, and quaff it as part of the same standard action. At 7th level, you may instead utilize a move action. At 14th level, you may use a free action.

The Stomach Knows: When you drink something, you are automatically aware of all of its effects, including the spell(s) replicated by a potion, and the type, DC, and secondary damage of a poison. By spending a full-round action to investigate a vial of liquid, you may discern if it is a potion or poison that you have previously imbibed and, if so, what its effects are.

Savor The Flavor: You may drink half of a potion, recieving half of its normal effects if its duration is instantaneous, or recieving its effects for half the duration if it has a longer duration. The other half will be useless to anyone without a similar ability.

Buzzed On Black Widows: You gain Poison Healer as a bonus feat.

Primal Fury
2014-01-05, 07:05 PM
You take some bond you have with nature, and subsume it into your legend. This allows you to subjugate and devour a lycanthropic curse that has hold of you, but your 'spirit animal' in that case has to be the one tied to the lycanthropy you had. Otherwise, you just pick a particular 'spirit animal' that dictates the aesthetics of your shapeshifting Mythos. Olethrofices that turn into half-jackals and Kathodos' that transform into half-red-pandas. That sort of thing.
Very intereseting... By the way, which Hellscream is that for the Bellator?

Fredaintdead
2014-01-05, 07:14 PM
Very intereseting... By the way, which Hellscream is that for the Bellator?

That's not a Hellscream dude. It's Varok Saurfang.

Adam1949
2014-01-05, 07:23 PM
I know at least 4!

Awesome, which ones?

Anyway, the first of the Seneschal's Mythos. I'm not sure if it's too strong.

Bound-Ghast Unleashing

The weakest wardens of the ancient times are, ironically, the most well-known; too frail to gather much soulstuff, they hid in the space between planes, biding their time and offering their services to anyone desperate enough to summon them. A Seneschal is no mere mortal, however, and knows ways on how to bind them to his service.

You gain Bind Vestige, Improved Bind Vestige, and Expel Vestige as bonus feats (ToM).

Advanced
Will-Bending Demands: You gain Ignore Special Requirements and Skilled Pact Making as bonus feats (ToM).

Xefas
2014-01-05, 07:54 PM
That's not a Hellscream dude. It's Varok Saurfang.

They say that the Empire built the Death Star to harness the power of Saurfang's cleave, but they were only able to emulate enough of it to obliterate planets.

The only reason Saurfang can't kill one of the Chaos Gods is because his cleave would kill two.

We'll never know if Saurfang can dodge the Omega Beam, because Darkseid refuses to get within cleave range to use it.

The only item more powerful than Thanos' Infinity Gauntlet is a kindly worded letter to Saurfang asking him to cleave something for you.

It's rumored that Saurfang's Overpower is more devastating than his cleave, but fortunately his cleave has never missed.

Awesome, which ones?

The (unnamed?) protagonist from Persona 3, the creepy ass mask salesman from Majora's Mask, Dr. Facilier, and the top middle left is a depiction of the Faust legend if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, the first of the Seneschal's Mythos. I'm not sure if it's too strong.

Bound-Ghast Unleashing

The weakest wardens of the ancient times are, ironically, the most well-known; too frail to gather much soulstuff, they hid in the space between planes, biding their time and offering their services to anyone desperate enough to summon them. A Seneschal is no mere mortal, however, and knows ways on how to bind them to his service.

You gain Bind Vestige, Improved Bind Vestige, and Expel Vestige as bonus feats (ToM).

Advanced
Will-Bending Demands: You gain Ignore Special Requirements and Skilled Pact Making as bonus feats (ToM).

Will comment later when I can pop open my Tome of Magic. I'm about to finish up, and eat, dinner.

Fredaintdead
2014-01-05, 08:04 PM
They say that the Empire built the Death Star to harness the power of Saurfang's cleave, but they were only able to emulate enough of it to obliterate planets.

The only reason Saurfang can't kill one of the Chaos Gods is because his cleave would kill two.

We'll never know if Saurfang can dodge the Omega Beam, because Darkseid refuses to get within cleave range to use it.

The only item more powerful than Thanos' Infinity Gauntlet is a kindly worded letter to Saurfang asking him to cleave something for you.

It's rumored that Saurfang's Overpower is more devastating than his cleave, but fortunately his cleave has never missed.

He is he who watches they. The fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare to defy the Warchief, and you dare to face his merciless judgement.
Though I honestly rank him as the Second Coolest Orc Ever, because of his brother Broxigar.

Primal Fury
2014-01-05, 08:20 PM
Oooooooh. That guy.

Bound-Ghast Unleashing

Advanced

I'm confused... Why not just say "Hey, you can bind vestiges now" instead of giving them the bonus feat?

Adam1949
2014-01-05, 08:29 PM
The (unnamed?) protagonist from Persona 3, the creepy ass mask salesman from Majora's Mask, Dr. Facilier, and the top middle left is a depiction of the Faust legend if I'm not mistaken.

Excellent work. As for the other four, in regards to the upper left corner, I was originally going to call the class Heritor.

Will comment later when I can pop open my Tome of Magic. I'm about to finish up, and eat, dinner.

I eagerly await the master's ideas!

I'm confused... Why not just say "Hey, you can bind vestiges now" instead of giving them the bonus feat?

That's an excellent point. I just wasn't sure if giving them full Binder advancement was exactly balanced as a basic Mythos.

Primal Fury
2014-01-05, 08:44 PM
That's an excellent point. I just wasn't sure if giving them full Binder advancement was exactly balanced as a basic Mythos.
Not full Binder advancement exactly. I was doing something similar before it got rolled into something else and changed entirely. The first Mythos granted access to first level vestiges, while Basic and Advanced upgrades and higher level Mythos added more levels and Vestiges.

Amechra
2014-01-05, 09:13 PM
Check out my Husk (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320653) for a way you can do it; the Totem Spirit Package grants a bound Vestige (second post).

VoodooPaladin
2014-01-05, 09:44 PM
Well, since everyone's doing it...
http://s13.postimg.org/5pk7al3iv/Igamono_Banner.png
Not sure what to call it. At the moment I'm thinking "Igamono".

Yeah, I only got three for sure. Props for using Adelle by the way; every time I see someone reference that game, it makes me feel better about having sunk 60-plus hours into it.

GreaserFish
2014-01-05, 10:06 PM
EDIT: For posterity's sake, here's the template:
http://i.imgur.com/sVSLoOh.png

Speaking of Batman, I had an idea for the Heirodule that placed an emphasis on always having a cause to champion. Plus, in addition to the guilt system, I was thinking of a conviction system, to sort of pseudo-oppose the guilt but not exactly be a negative/positive relationship.
I'm thinking of calling it the Aethenos if I actually homebrew it up.
http://i.imgur.com/Y6zV60i.png]
Xefas, how do you usually come up with the names for your mythos classes?

Primal Fury
2014-01-05, 10:36 PM
Should we just make a new thread for discussing Mythos classes?

Amechra
2014-01-05, 10:38 PM
I think you should just write them instead of talking about writing them, but that would be productive.

But yeah, a new thread might be a good idea.

VoodooPaladin
2014-01-05, 11:11 PM
I actually consider it cheating to ever include Batman in the banner. Batman is such an intensely human character (and has had an absurd number of influences and writers with only tangentially-related artistic visions) that it's quicker to count the classes that he couldn't be. I've seen him described as a monk, fighter, wizard, cleric, ACF paladin, rogue, adept, and an expert who breaks WBL at different times. I was planning to remove him from the Igamono banner before I finished it.

Although, the picture of Batman that you got is way better than mine.

Xefas
2014-01-05, 11:14 PM
Props for using Adelle by the way; every time I see someone reference that game, it makes me feel better about having sunk 60-plus hours into it.

I knew I recognized her, but I couldn't remember where. As big a fan of tactics games as I am, I never got around to playing Tactics Advance 2 to any great degree.

Xefas, how do you usually come up with the names for your mythos classes?

I find Greek words that sound cool and are vaguely related to the class.

I eagerly await the master's ideas!

Entreating On The Altar of Naught

Those nothings and no ones that languish between bleak emptiness and the shade of death, they clamor for one hint of life or light to slake the cold lust of their vapid unexistence. So it is that when a Seneschal beckons them by name, they slaver at the echo and the blood offered without complaint, easily called and easily subjugated.

You gain the Soul Binding class feature of a Binder (ToM pg10). This is a Supernatural ability. Your effective binder level for the purposes of determining the highest level of Vestige you may bind and how many Vestiges you may have bound at once is 1 (this stacks with other sources of binding, such as the Binder class itself), and your effective binder level for all other purposes is equal to your class level (this does not stack with other sources of binding level).

Unlike a Binder, you are not required to draw a seal to summon forth a Vestige. You need only a symbolic altar, typically a smooth stone of some kind, which you mark with your own blood, and then call the name of the Vestige three times (withdrawing the stone from a pouch is typically a move action, and if you are already bleeding, coating the stone in your blood may be done as part of the same action, otherwise drawing blood from yourself is another move action). At your command, the Vestige's image appears and, unlike with a Binder's ritual, is aware of its surroundings and capable of observing and speaking with other creatures than yourself.

Bargaining and binding proceed as normal afterward.

Advanced
Selenite Bishop Presumption: You gain Improved Binding as a bonus feat. When you attempt a rushed binding check on a Vestige lower level than the maximum level of Vestige you may bind, you do not take the -10 penalty on your binding check, demanding its obedience rather than requesting it.

Discarding Broken Phantoms: You gain Expel Vestige as a bonus feat. When you use your Expel Vestige feat, you need not draw a seal and perform the summoning processes to expel the spirit inside you. Instead, you may use a full-round action to disgorge them as a roiling crystalline nimbus from your eyes and mouth, which gradually fades into nothing in the following moments.

Adam1949
2014-01-05, 11:53 PM
The entire Mythos above

How, I ask. HOW. That's good, really good. And more importantly, it's a lot more fun and flavorful. How does one go about with Mythos-making?

3WhiteFox3
2014-01-05, 11:54 PM
I decided to take some initiative and made a new discussion thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16733620#post16733620) for people with ideas for Mythos Classes to avoid derailing this thread any further. Hopefully I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here, but it was mentioned, so I thought I'd do it. I myself had an idea, but I'm currently busy on trying to make sure it's not just a copy of the Olethrofex. I'll post my basic ideas in the new thread.

Xefas
2014-01-06, 12:45 AM
How, I ask. HOW. That's good, really good. And more importantly, it's a lot more fun and flavorful. How does one go about with Mythos-making?

I've put my answer in the thread so graciously provided by 3WhiteFox3. All the off-topic discussions can continue there.

Amechra
2014-01-15, 04:45 PM
My issues with the Mythos Reth Dekala:

Extraordinary Mythos:

Burning Spirit-Beacon Ignition: OK, so, as a Move action, you can get +3 untyped bonus to every ability score and a 200' radius of illumination? OK...

What can I say? First of all, Aubade Magnificence Externalization shouldn't give you a +6 to every ability score at level 2. As a move action. I'd say that Burning Spirit-Beacon Ignition should be toned down a bit in general.

Now, I know, there is a really small threshold of damage you can take before you lose the bonus (At level one, someone with a base Con of 15 could only take 5 damage before losing the bonus; at second level, this would go up to 6 damage.) However, I see the main utility of this Mythos is in out-of-combat stuff. It's a +6 to all your ability scores, for Nodens' sake! That's 200,000 GP worth of magic items right there. That this stacks with.

Consider the fact that a +4 Enhancement bonus to all ability scores is a 6th level spell. Yeah.

Seriously, once you hit 2nd level, this is a Move action to get +3 AC, 3*HD HP, +3 to all saves, +3 to attack rolls, +3/+4 to damage rolls... This is before you factor in the fact that Mythos classes tend to get an additional ability score to their AC at level 1; a Teramach would be getting +6 to AC, for starters.

Some suggestions:

Make the bonuses Enhancement bonuses. That way, they don't stack with everything.
Reduce the size of the bonuses. If going with this route, I'd suggest basing it off the highest tier of Mythos you know. So with only Extraordinary Mythos, you get a +1 Untyped bonus to all your ability scores (which is doubled with Aubade Magnificence Aura), +2 when you have Fantastic Mythos, +3 with Legendary, +4 with Exalted, +5 with Sempiternal, etc, etc.

Brazen Obelus Tegument: Alright... I wouldn't grab this until, say, level 3. Which, you know, is fine. I do think that DR = level is a nice bonus, though. I have to laugh at the level 9 enhancement, since it doesn't really do anything; I presume that it helps versus some niche cases... Don't really see it as all that thematic, though... Perhaps make it DR/Lawful and Bronze (Why Bronze? Guess what the name of one of its alloys is. Go on, guess.)

Green Sun Nimbus Flare: Ah, the classics. First of all, the basic effect is rather strong for 1st level, and tapers off as you level, but is otherwise fine. However, what I'm worried about is Godscorch Invective; ignoring all immunity to Fire damage at 2nd level is... annoying. I'd suggest that Godscorch Invective instead expands the "hurting Divine peeps" effect to apply to all Fire damage you deal (I feel that is a bit more thematic), and leave the 7th level effect as-is.

Weakness-Browsing Arrogance: OK, you get Knowledge Devotion as a bonus feat, as well as a +2 to all Knowledge checks pertaining to creatures... That's all fine. However, the secondary effect...

I feel like it could maybe be tied to an opposed check, or be opposed in some way by Bluff? Because this blows the water out of certain disguises, and makes Sense Motive (which does something like this already) feel even sadder. Plus, people hiding their power level due to being scoundrels should be encouraged, mate. Seriously, you can tell that the God of Trickery is a god at a glance at level 1, regardless of how he/she/it/they disguise themselves... I express disapproval.

Fantastic Mythos:

Heaven-Scorching Sunfire Projection: Fun fact: when I was reading through to review this, I mistakenly thought this was an Extraordinary Mythos. As you might expect, I was going to rake you over the coals for handing out Perfect flight at 1st level.

Aside from that amusing anecdote... I feel that this Mythos could be improved by building off of what mythos you took to qualify for it.

If I were to do it, I'd leave in the "half of Endure Elements", fire damage on attacks, Fly speed (rated at Good instead of Perfect), and the Desert Wind Dodge as a bonus feat. I would, however, make flaring your Anima improve your maneuverability to Perfect, and have getting in via Green Sun Nimbus Flare add the explosive take-off effect. If you have both the Mythos... voila!

Viridian Sunshine Devastation: Eh, it's OK. I'm curious why you didn't make it mechanically a Thrown weapon with a 40' range increment, the normal number of range increments, and the fire-and-halving damage thing. Just make say that you can use your Unarmed Strike this way, and that note about it working with Snap Kick and the like will be assumed (and thus unnecesary.)

The surge of power is pretty nice, and I don't see any balance concerns.

Legendary Mythos:

Bowed-but-Unbroken Inviction: OK, so half of this damn power is fluff. That's fine... it's just that it makes it hard to scan to see what it does. Maybe italicize the fluff?

Other than that... that recharge doesn't add anything. At all. Plus, at a physical table (instead of in a PbP), 24d4 is a pain to roll; I doubt the entire gaming club at my college has that many d4s to rub together. So it's either going to slow stuff down at the table, or it's going to be averaged to 60 hours.

Why not have it require 16 hours of rest to restore the use of, halved if you don't have to sleep? So you'd be able to use it once every two days, ish.

Other than that, it just makes sure you don't die, and hands you an Exalted Mythos. I don't really see any problem with this; it lets you pull out stuff like Land-Shaping Limitation Ignorance, which, while strong, aren't going to win a fight by themselves.

Final verdict: Needs a bit of spit-and-shine, but otherwise looking decent.

The Tygre
2014-01-16, 12:11 AM
I don't think I have anything to add. Only:

http://images.sharefaith.com/images/3/1217455409241_181/img_large_watermarked.jpg

Xefas
2014-01-19, 04:33 PM
Final verdict: Needs a bit of spit-and-shine, but otherwise looking decent.

I do agree on several points. I think, rather than modifying Burning Spirit-Beacon Ignition, it just needs to be rewritten completely; its benefits and drawbacks just fundamentally changed. It was probably the Mythos among these that got iterated on the most, and the one I was most unsure of.

I'm a little annoyed with myself that I didn't think Weakness Browsing Arrogance through more before I posted it. Thank you for pointing out the problem with it. My first consideration is that I want to find a way to reward, as you say, 'scoundrel' characters, like Rogues or Factotums, for being sneaky badasses, but not really reward spellcasters for clicking their "my spells trivially invalidate scoundrel characters" button.

Perhaps something like, if a disguised character has Disguise ranks equal to or greater than your Spot ranks, they can feed you false information in accordance with their disguise? Hmmm. Something I have to think about.

Your ideas for Heaven-Scorching Sunfire Projection interest me. I'll see how I feel about them after I rewrite Burning Spirit-Beacon Ignition.

For Bowed-But-Unbroken Inviction, I'd really like to find a more interesting cooldown mechanic altogether. By making someone pull out their phone's diceroller app to roll 24d4, I'm mostly just trying to avoid the "you must rest exactly 28800 seconds before your powers work again" strangeness that inhabits a lot of 3.5 edition.

I do kind of like the idea of a base number that gets modified based on other circumstances, as you said. X hours - Y hours if you don't have to sleep - Z hours if you killed all of the enemies in the encounter in which you activated Bowed But Unbroken Inviction - W hours if you uttered a pithy one-liner when you stood up after activating it, etc, etc.

OK, so half of this damn power is fluff. That's fine... it's just that it makes it hard to scan to see what it does.

Working as intended. :smalltongue: