PDA

View Full Version : Imbue item ability

CIDE
2014-01-01, 06:34 PM
So, rereading through Warlock again I saw their 12th level ability. I already know the Artificer still essentially does the same thing from level 1. My question mostly comes down to whether or not there's other sources for this particular ability to craft magic items without the required spells? Other classes, racial abilities, whatever?

This has nothing to do with an existing game. It was more of a curiosity to me. It seems like a pretty potent ability even for something like a Warlock with how late they get it but aside from the Artificer it never really comes up.

prufock
2014-01-01, 10:45 PM
A factotum at level 19 can emulate the artificer's Item Creation class feature. However it only works for 1 minute a day, so you end up taking 480 times as many days to craft an item as normal. Not exactly an efficient use of Cunning Brilliance.

Phelix-Mu
2014-01-01, 10:52 PM
There are two other sources of similar abilities that I know of, but they aren't identical and might not even be of interest here.

1.) Battlesmith PrC (Races of Stone): This PrC gives an equivalent CL for the crafting of magical arms and armours. Worth a gander, as the class itself is pretty nice if you are looking at that flavor of character (or if your DM is open to adaptations).

2.) Membership in the Golden Helm Guild affiliation (PHB2): Not exactly the same thing either, but grants the Craft feat as a bonus feat and gives a CL to use it with. Nice because you can use it as a template for making similar organizations if you are a DM.

Hope they are at least informative, if not pertinent.

bekeleven
2014-01-01, 11:37 PM
A factotum at level 19 can emulate the artificer's Item Creation class feature. However it only works for 1 minute a day, so you end up taking 480 times as many days to craft an item as normal. Not exactly an efficient use of Cunning Brilliance.

I'd have to read the RAW to be sure, but you might be able to make an argument that you only need the ability the minute when you make the check for the next 8 hours of crafting.

I think most factotums would just dip chameleon for item crafting, even if it doesn't cover everything artificers can do.

Nettlekid
2014-01-02, 12:02 AM
Anyone with Shapechange can turn into a Midgard Dwarf (from Frostburn) which has several Craft feats as bonus feats (granted by an Ex ability, not just racially), and the ability to ignore other prerequisites like spells.

Phelix-Mu
2014-01-02, 12:06 AM
Anyone with Shapechange can turn into a Midgard Dwarf (from Frostburn) which has several Craft feats as bonus feats (granted by an Ex ability, not just racially), and the ability to ignore other prerequisites like spells.

This is a good use of Shapechange for those that can't stomach chaining zodar wishes.

TypoNinja
2014-01-02, 01:27 AM
There are also various magical forges which grant you item crafting feats and/or certain spells for item crafting while working at them. Couldn't tell you what issue of dragon they are in off the top of my head though.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-02, 01:37 AM
There are also various magical forges which grant you item crafting feats and/or certain spells for item crafting while working at them. Couldn't tell you what issue of dragon they are in off the top of my head though.

At least a couple of these, as well as the battlesmith class previously mentioned, are in Races of Stone.

Of note, however, is the fact that battlesmith's secrets of the forge class feature grants the craft arms and armor feat and a CL to go with it but it does -not- allow you to emulate the spells necessary to make anything more complex than a simple +X weapon or armor.

The ironsoul forge master in Magic of Incarnum also has the secrets of the forge feature.

Psyren
2014-01-02, 01:45 AM
They can however cooperate with a spellcaster (or, particularly in the case of an IF, UMD a staff/wand with the spell they need) in order to do so.

Or you can bring in Master Craftsman from PF if you want a master smith who doesn't need an associate's degree from Hogwarts to make anything worthwhile.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-02, 02:06 AM
It's my understanding that having scrolls, wands, staves or the like can provide the necessary spells as well.

Psyren
2014-01-02, 02:07 AM
It's my understanding that having scrolls, wands, staves or the like can provide the necessary spells as well.

Indeed, I mentioned that.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-02, 02:16 AM
Indeed, I mentioned that.

Misread that I guess. I don't think UMD is required though; just the correct items to discharge during the crafting process.

I prefer lesser schemas,myself. 1 charge per day from an item that can be used 1/day works out nicely and you can just sell the thing once the item's complete.

Psyren
2014-01-02, 02:40 AM
Misread that I guess. I don't think UMD is required though; just the correct items to discharge during the crafting process.

Huh - you know, looking at the rules now, I don't think you can use items to craft at all. Repeatedly it says that the spells must actually be prepared (or known) by at least one party involved in the crafting.

Am I missing something? (Perhaps from MiC, which I haven't read in detail.)

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-02, 02:49 AM
I had a hard time finding it too but the crafting section in MiC that claims to be a reiteration of the rules makes mention of using items to meet prerequisites in the first couple of paragraphs.

I'm sure I remember reading it somewhere else before that but I can't remember where.

TypoNinja
2014-01-02, 04:35 AM
Right off the top of the Creating Magic Items section

Note that all items have prerequisites in their descriptions. These prerequisites must be met for the item to be created. Most of the time, they take the form of spells that must be known by the item’s creator (although access through another magic item or spellcaster is allowed).

bold mine.

The downside to this approach of course is that it could get expensive fast. Every day of crafting will consume the spells required, so you could be looking at dozens of scrolls. A +1 flaming sword would run you 8 scrolls of fireball over its creation time.

Psyren
2014-01-02, 04:38 AM
Thanks for the find.

A staff, wand, or even psicrown/dorje (using the rules in MiC 232) might be the better solution then. A psicrown is particularly useful for this since it can be recharged.

TypoNinja
2014-01-02, 04:40 AM
Thanks for the find.

A staff, wand, or even psicrown/dorje (using the rules in MiC 232) might be the better solution then. A psicrown is particularly useful for this since it can be recharged.

Or a friendly warlock who can substitute a UMD check for any magic at all. :D

Edit: wait. Since hes faking the spell, instead of actually casting it for item creation, does that mean it breaks the XP or expensive material costs requirements?

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-02, 04:48 AM
Or a friendly warlock who can substitute a UMD check for any magic at all. :D

Edit: wait. Since hes faking the spell, instead of actually casting it for item creation, does that mean it breaks the XP or expensive material costs requirements?

No one actually casts a spell during the item creation process. That a warlock wouldn't be able to cast it at all doesn't bypass those costs.

And just repeating; lesser schemas. Buy it, use it for the creation process, sell it. They run spell level X caster level X 600gp, IIRC.

TypoNinja
2014-01-02, 05:00 AM
I've always taken the "Triggers" from the "the act of working on X triggers the spells" phrase to mean they are cast, just cast is such a way as to empower the item rather than detonate it.

Psyren
2014-01-02, 05:15 AM
They sort of fall out of your head. For most things you need to provide the components as well, but weapons are curiously exempt, even for costly spells.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-02, 05:28 AM
I've always taken the "Triggers" from the "the act of working on X triggers the spells" phrase to mean they are cast, just cast is such a way as to empower the item rather than detonate it.

Note the parenthetical that immediately follows it. The spell slot or prepared spell is expended as though you had cast it but you don't actually cast the spell at all.

Chronos
2014-01-02, 11:33 PM
Quoth Nettlekid:

You don't even need Shapechange to exploit that. Even lowly Alter Self will get you racial bonus feats (though not the prerequisite-bypassing ability). Yet another reason to play an Outsider race.

Oddly enough, one of the other best outsider Alter Self forms is also a dwarf, the Dwarven Ancestor with its insane natural armor.

Dalebert
2014-01-02, 11:37 PM
Oddly enough, one of the other best outsider Alter Self forms is also a dwarf, the Dwarven Ancestor with its insane natural armor.

Is that someone anyone can partake of using alter self? Are the stats available online somewhere because I've been turning into a troglodyte.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-01-02, 11:44 PM
You need Outsider type (tiefling, aasimar and neraphim are the easiest ways to get said type)

CIDE
2014-01-03, 04:40 AM
Damn, lots of cool options. Kind of bumed about the lack of psionic class options for it (No, not Psionic Artificer). I also never looked at the entry for the Midgard Dwarf. That seems...oddly broken depending on interpretation.

Chronos
2014-01-03, 10:05 AM
Are the stats available online somewhere...
As it happens, yes (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060704a&page=3). +18 natural armor.

Dalebert
2014-01-04, 12:12 AM
You need Outsider type (tiefling, aasimar and neraphim are the easiest ways to get said type)

I'm guessing the answer is "no" but is there any way to get the type if you've already started your character as human?

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-04, 12:39 AM
I'm guessing the answer is "no" but is there any way to get the type if you've already started your character as human?

There are, in fact, several.

There's a bit of a catch though. Almost of them all of them involve running all the way through a PrC. The best option is probably the wish ritual described in SS. It's expensive as balls but you can turn into anything you want with -one- small caveat; you may not get all of the special abilities of your new form. The ritual description gives the details.