PDA

View Full Version : Artificer gestalt question

Macabros
2014-01-01, 08:20 PM
I was curious if this were trur. If you are an artificer and take one level of cleric with the magic domain do you really not need to do umd checks for spells on either cleric or wizard spell lists?

Yuki Akuma
2014-01-01, 08:24 PM
I was curious if this were trur. If you are an artificer and take one level of cleric with the magic domain do you really not need to do umd checks for spells on either cleric or wizard spell lists?

Well. It depends.

Do you mean actual gestalt, where you take levels as two classes at once? Then yes, you can use every Wizard and Cleric wand and staff, and use Cleric scrolls with a caster level equal to your level and Wizard scrolls with a caster level equal to half your level.

Note that if you try to use a Wizard scroll which requires a higher minimum CL you'll need to roll a caster level check to use it properly. Or you can just use UMD.

If you mean multiclassing, your single level of Cleric lets you use any Cleric or Wizard wand or staff and lets you use Cleric and Wizard scroll with a CL of 1.

Macabros
2014-01-01, 08:32 PM
Hmm interesting. I was thinking of a build Artificer 20//Cleric 1(magic domain)/Factotum 8/cleric 11 or favorite prcs

Would that work to keep out of needing a umd till later levels 10+

Turion
2014-01-01, 08:36 PM
Hmm interesting. I was thinking of a build Artificer 20//Cleric 1(magic domain)/Factotum 8/cleric 11 or favorite prcs

Would that work to keep out of needing a umd till later levels 10+

Not for anything made through Artificer class features, I'm afraid. Artificer was errata'd so that items they make are neither arcane nor divine. Any artificed item requires a UMD check to make. Your cleric level would also allow you to make items requiring cleric spells, which you could activate with no check, but only those using spells to which you have access.

If you manage to obtain actual wizard or cleric scrolls through another means, then you are correct, and you wouldn't need to make UMD checks to activate them.

Macabros
2014-01-01, 08:41 PM
Alright thanks for the help ^.^ been a real help.