PDA

View Full Version : Ramifications of Technology

GreenETC
2014-01-01, 10:03 PM
Currently, I have been toying with an idea of having an "alien" race invade my D&D campaign, bringing along with them various weapons that possess the ability to use Psionic powers (mostly the blasting ones but some status ones like Entangling Ectoplasm). These weapons would be fueled by psionic ammunition, essentially cognizance crystals with 15pp each, which would be depleted at normal ratios of psionic powers for using their technological weapons, up to a maximum of the ML of the weapon, ranging from 5-15.

I've really enjoyed making various special weapons and laser guns, but now I'm starting to wonder if this will create a problem in game, as each member of the race will be expected to have approximately 5 of these packs on his person at any given time, meaning that a reasonable fight with the aliens would result in quite a large amount of potential power.

Would the ability for all classes to use these various psionic powers on an essentially unlimited basis based on the amount of ammunition they have create a massive imbalance on the game world? Psionic classes will not be available for the players, and nobody will purchase the items in any way, as nobody but those with the weapons understand how to use them, so I don't expect it to throw off WBL.

Captnq
2014-01-01, 10:21 PM
Ooo... they had rules for that... umm... my sig. get the EVD.

Augmentation
Body Alteration v1.01.doc
Quori Embedded Shards b0.01.doc
Technomagical Implants b0.01.doc

maybe... Warforged Components b0.02.doc?

GreenETC
2014-01-01, 10:43 PM
Well, I'm not trying to get people to implant things into themselves. I'm literally making just swords and laser pistols that you can pick up off a dead alien and attempt using.

Phelix-Mu
2014-01-01, 11:11 PM
Until you get to the point where tech is being reverse engineered and improved upon by the natives, the alien tech pretty much amounts to straight combat advantage (assuming that non-proficiency isn't deemed to counteract better damage).

The typical result is that mundanes get a damage boost, but well-chosen magic still kicks the butt of all but the most extravagant levels of technology. Technology often corresponds to some system of logic/science/physics. Magic exists to break such systems, and is so good at it that it often breaks its own system.

Blasting as a power has the least impact on the game at any scale beyond combat. The more hyperbolic spells bend reality in ways that make unlimited bang-bang look very silly.

Thus, if the party is mundane heavy, this will be a big improvement (depending on builds). But if it's a bunch of tier 1s, expect them to not be terribly interested.

Brookshw
2014-01-01, 11:15 PM
Ooo... they had rules for that... umm... my sig. get the EVD.

Augmentation
Body Alteration v1.01.doc
Quori Embedded Shards b0.01.doc
Technomagical Implants b0.01.doc

maybe... Warforged Components b0.02.doc?

I'm gonna have to check that out sometime, looks interesting!