PDA

View Full Version : Improved natural attack

Grizzled Gryphon
2014-01-01, 10:32 PM
So, if a monk takes this feat, does the damage continue to scale each time the damage dice goes up with monk levels?

madtinker
2014-01-01, 10:47 PM
I've got a game going right now where the feat is used this way.

Grizzled Gryphon
2014-01-01, 10:58 PM
So, a Monks Belt, Superior Unarmed Strike, and Improved Natural Attack can stack up pretty nicely...

Vhaidara
2014-01-01, 11:51 PM
I'll play on my games who does that with powerful build. he deals 3d8 at level 10.

Phelix-Mu
2014-01-02, 12:10 AM
Don't forget to get an ally to cast greater mighty wallop (or cast/UMD/constant-effect item it yourself). It's the single biggest way to increase monk damage as levels go by, and also the most resource lite. If you have a method for pumping caster levels (and they are legion) this can get silly in a hurry.

cakellene
2014-01-02, 12:10 AM
So, a Monks Belt, Superior Unarmed Strike, and Improved Natural Attack can stack up pretty nicely...

Don't forget Fist of the Forest, it gives 2 damage increases and turns you into a lesser ghost touch weapon.

Grizzled Gryphon
2014-01-02, 01:25 AM
Don't forget Fist of the Forest, it gives 2 damage increases and turns you into a lesser ghost touch weapon.And where is this gem found?

Edit: nevermind, I googled it, and my google-fu was good.

cakellene
2014-01-02, 01:26 AM
And where is this gem found?

Edit: nevermind, I googled it, and my google-fu was good.

IIRC, Complete Champion.

Grizzled Gryphon
2014-01-02, 01:31 AM
LOL, yeah. Not sure I like it, though... The requirements are wonky. It would work with a gestalt monk//fighter or some such, though. And only 3 levels, kinda nice as well.

Actually, you couldn't enter the class as a straight monk until level 7, and you would actually be slowed down in your unarmed damage progression without the class. You would gain the 1D10 damage at level 8 as a monk, but the Fist of the Forest means your overall level would be 9 before you gained the 1D10 damage.

cakellene
2014-01-02, 01:46 AM
The build I am currently tweaking is wild monk 8/swordsage 4/fist of the forest 3/warshaper 5.

Grizzled Gryphon
2014-01-02, 03:39 AM
Wild Monk?

danzibr
2014-01-02, 07:16 AM
Yeah, pretty nicely. If you're a level 11 Monk, the SUS boosts you to 15, Monk's Belt boosts you to 20, then INA gets you to 4d8. Problem is, this unarmed damage would be identical to a level 20 monk with the same setup (though of course you'll have other ways to increase it... maxed out Greater Mighty Wallop would make it 24d8). That is, Monk's Belt and SUS don't get any better after level 11.

Andezzar
2014-01-02, 09:49 AM
So, a Monks Belt, Superior Unarmed Strike, and Improved Natural Attack can stack up pretty nicely...Where do you get that they stack?
The Monk's belt tells us
The wearer’s AC and unarmed damage is treated as a monk of five levels higher.
And Superior Unarmed Strike:
If you are a monk, you instead deal unarmed damage as a monk four levels higher.
Both refer to your actual monk level, not to some kind of effective monk level created by some other ability. So they do not stack.

Grizzled Gryphon
2014-01-02, 09:10 PM
Both refer to your actual monk level, not to some kind of effective monk level created by some other ability. So they do not stack.GAH!! Your right, of course. Wishful thinking on my part, I guess. LOL!!

cakellene
2014-01-02, 11:08 PM
Wild Monk?

It's a monk variant from dragon magazine (think 335), trades a few monk features for wild shape.

Coidzor
2014-01-02, 11:23 PM

Some rule Superior Unarmed Strike and a Monk's Belt not to stack due to the wording they both use. Improved Natural Attack has no issues unless you're playing Pathfinder, IIRC.

Yeah, pretty nicely. If you're a level 11 Monk, the SUS boosts you to 15, Monk's Belt boosts you to 20, then INA gets you to 4d8. Problem is, this unarmed damage would be identical to a level 20 monk with the same setup (though of course you'll have other ways to increase it... maxed out Greater Mighty Wallop would make it 24d8). That is, Monk's Belt and SUS don't get any better after level 11.

Psychic Reformation and Retraining are your friend here. But, then, so is taking a Monk Fix or a Swordsage.

Wild Monk?

Gets Wildshape like a Wildshape Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger), except it's delayed for an extra level for some unknown reason to level 6 instead of level 5. At least, IIRC, they only get Small and Medium forms. They might get additional forms, I can't recall for sure. Even with only Small and Medium forms, it's still worth it for helping address the MAD issues.

Thurbane
2014-01-02, 11:48 PM
If I put Improved Natural Attack and Superior Unarmed Strike on a 9th level Monk, does the damage go (does the order of the feats matter?):
1d10 -> 2d6 -> 3d6 or
1d10 -> 2d8 -> 3d8 ?

Coidzor
2014-01-02, 11:49 PM
IIRC, it's either A. most advantageous or B. monk stuff gets tallied up and then size modifies it.

Captnq
2014-01-03, 12:00 AM
Oh please...

necklace of natural weaponry Sizing (+1) Balanced (+1).
cost 8,600 gp.

My Fist is a light weapon. I increase it's size until it's a two handed weapon. I increase it once more because it's balanced (But does NOT stack with monkey grip). I just increased my damage by three sizes. (for a -4 to hit, but who cares?)

And I now wield my fist with two hands, so I get x1.5 strength damage. Can you say "Power Attack"?

And before you say "You can't make a fist sizing" may I point out that in the magic item's description you can make your natural attacks THROWING. As in, I can THROW my BITE ATTACK at you? Sizing makes way more sense then that.