PDA

View Full Version : Orcus, Mind Flayers, and the abandonment of the Gods. (campaign advice)

lameskeptik
2014-01-01, 10:40 PM
I "stole" an idea from a friend a number of years ago and I'm finally planning on acting on it.

A quick synopsis: An Alhoon (Illithid Lich) grows in both greed and power culminating in a centuries long coup in destroying Orcus and thrusting himself into God-hood, or at least somewhat close. Orcus gets "fat on negative energy" and this Alhoon destroys him by causing him to explode, or something similar. The entirety of Earth, or Oerth, or main-material-plane-planet, is covered in negative energy causing all sorts of fun evil side effects. The sun is blocked out and Pelor goes on a hiatus (haven't fleshed that out yet). This causes Mind Flayers to revel in the darkness that covers the surface world. The Alhoon's phylacteries happen to be more liches to keep the story going for a while and to keep with an episodic feel. That way I can maintain the campaign for a longer period of time.

I just don't know how to start it off.
I know I want them to "stumble" onto Orcus dying. And I'd be ok with forcing their hand as bit in the beginning to get to that point. Kind of like the tutorial on an adventure video game. I will have one new player so it'd be nice to do a session at level one to give him a feel and then jump them to level 3 or so so I can use some more interesting monsters and get them on their way a bit quicker.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Even just expanding on anything I've already written here. Thanks in advance.

This was originally a too-much-"industrialization"-so-the-Fae-naturalize-the-world but my players, like most these days, like undead. So I adjusted.

QuintonBeck
2014-01-01, 10:54 PM
The only advise I have is starting the players at what ever level you want to start the campaign at instead of having a level one session. Running one session at level one and then having to go and change your character sheet to update for the next one is a little annoying and new players don't have to start at level one to understand the game. In fact, a new player would probably appreciate and use a level 3 or so character more since they aren't squishies one crit away from death with very little options available to them.