PDA

View Full Version : Modern conveniences in a Tippyverse city

Grizzled Gryphon
2014-01-01, 10:51 PM
Has anyone considered these? I have a few.

Automatic lights via a light trap when entering rooms.

Automatic doors via telekinesis traps.

'Taxi' services, via a range of traps... Greater Floating Disc, phantom Steed, or even the various teleportation spells.

With Alarm, scrying, and such, you would have companies providing home and business security.

Cleaning service via Unseen Servant Traps.

What else have you all got?

AWiz_Abroad
2014-01-01, 10:55 PM
Telephone Service: Aspect Mirrors into a a central trunk where your operator would connect your mirror and face it up against the other party on the calls mirror.

PTT Cell Phones: Sending stones

Heavy Industry: True Creation/Wall of Iron/Wall of Stone and Fabricate traps

Telekinesis traps for cargo movement.

Red Rubber Band
2014-01-02, 12:18 AM
I shall leave this link here: Industrial magic application (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=6793.0)

Stuff like sewerage, lighting, CCTV.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-01-02, 12:36 AM
While Wish Traps make the point a bit moot, wouldn't Open/Close (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/openClose.htm)be easier?

Kazyan
2014-01-02, 12:55 AM
In my "Monsterverse", the few Living Spells of Prestidigitation in existence are extremely valuable. They're called Cleanies. You can guess what they're used for.

Dalebert
2014-01-02, 12:59 AM
Prostitution services via simulacrums.

Deophaun
2014-01-02, 01:07 AM

Overly complicated/expensive. A simple skeleton told to open the door every time a humanoid approaches is much more cost effective. The good news is that, due to how undead control works, even if the caster loses control of the undead due to HD caps, the skeleton will continue to execute the function until rebuked/controlled and ordered otherwise.

Grizzled Gryphon
2014-01-02, 01:24 AM
Not to mention the media possibilities via sending and illusions.

Dalebert
2014-01-03, 12:06 AM
Overly complicated/expensive. A simple skeleton told to open the door every time a humanoid approaches is much more cost effective.

That would be really creepy for a lot of people and kind of scary. It's like having a loaded weapon lying around. Permanent unseen servants could handle all sorts of tasks.

Also, I had a DM decide a mindless undead wasn't even smart enough to understand a command to open a door once, much less upon certain conditions.

Emperor Tippy
2014-01-03, 12:22 AM
That would be really creepy for a lot of people and kind of scary. It's like having a loaded weapon lying around. Permanent unseen servants could handle all sorts of tasks.

Also, I had a DM decide a mindless undead wasn't even smart enough to understand a command to open a door once, much less upon certain conditions.

Permanent Animated Object on the door works fine.

Granted, it's more fun to stuff something with Blindsight into the door body and give it a telepathic bond with the owner. Doing that with random parts of the walls, floor, ceiling, and furniture is great fun.

It's more fun to do it with things with manifesting abilities though.

Deophaun
2014-01-03, 02:53 AM
That would be really creepy for a lot of people and kind of scary.
Put them in armor. Dress them in fancy clothes. No one needs to see a hint of bone.

It's like having a loaded weapon lying around.
Considering that the only people who could use this "loaded weapon" carry around far more devastating capabilities in their minds, not really.

Permanent unseen servants could handle all sorts of tasks.
Again, expensive.

Considering mindless undead are "smart" enough to operate a crossbow, I'd say this is more a case of the limitations of mindless DMs.

Jeff the Green
2014-01-03, 03:17 AM
Again, expensive.

This is Tippyverse. Cost is literally no object because wish traps.

Toilets are disintegrate/prestidigitation traps. Beauty salons are PAO/dispel traps. Schools are mindrape traps.

Jlerpy
2014-01-03, 06:57 PM

Or Summon Monster...

Slipperychicken
2014-01-03, 07:29 PM
Cleaning service via Unseen Servant Traps.

Use Prestidigitation for cleaning. It's a lower level spell, and thus much less costly.

Just get some minions (of various sizes and creature types) to use Alter Self (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alterSelf.htm). Now you can get any form you want (anything, from a massive red dragon to a tiny robot mouse), any time you want, and it's much faster and cheaper than making a simulacrum for each session. If you can't get it through Alter Self, use Polymorph (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorph.htm) instead. Plus it takes forever to heal a simulacrum, but you can freely deal as much damage as you want to a polymorphed minion, assuming healing shenanigans are in effect (which would be helpful for some clients' needs).

Also...

Simulacrum creates an illusory duplicate of any creature. The duplicate creature is partially real and formed from ice or snow. It appears to be the same as the original, but it has only one-half of the real creature’s levels or Hit Dice (and the appropriate hit points, feats, skill ranks, and special abilities for a creature of that level or HD). You can’t create a simulacrum of a creature whose Hit Dice or levels exceed twice your caster level. You must make a Disguise check when you cast the spell to determine how good the likeness is. A creature familiar with the original might detect the ruse with a successful Spot check (opposed by the caster’s Disguise check) or a DC 20 Sense Motive check.

Owch.

Dalebert
2014-01-04, 12:08 AM
That's fine. Make simulacrums of creatures that can already alter their shape.

Also, I suppose you could have alter self traps at the entryways to social clubs. Then everyone can assume their ideal form and everyone is hot. Then who needs prostitutes?

Oh, and don't forget the cure disease traps on the way out!