PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Help developing some psionic build ideas

Unbalanced
2014-01-01, 10:56 PM
Looks like I'm going to RPing solo for a bit, so to make the in-game numbers my DM has requested I play a few characters, which I'm more than happy to do.
I've been wanting to try some psionic stuff for a while and my DM whole-heartedly supports it as he has the supplement books, and as yet, has had no opportunity to use them. So, my ideas are...

Half-giant- soulknife/psychic warrior:
Idea is that he specializes in transforming to larger (or larger) than his giant ancestors, and taking advantage of his powerful build trait, wields a size-varying, two-handed, psionic, spiked hammer.

Unknown race- vitalist/wilder(maybe):
Idea for this guy is that he hurts himself, then transfers those wounds to his enemies. Not sure how the mechanics of it all would work, but ideally I'd like him to be able to even debuff himself and transfer that to enemies as well.
Only real reason I suggest the wilder, is I like the idea of him being rather emotional, and when his usual tactic/s aren't working, an aggressive outburst of psionic power would be really cool.

Will probably be looking to start at level 5 or 6, and with a 20 point buy to begin.
I'm open to all constructive ideas and help.

Cheers.

Unbalanced
2014-01-02, 12:31 AM
Oh, and just to add, they'll be accompanying my current character:

Ranger - 6
HP: 68
Stats: STR 17, DEX 20, CON 12, INT 12, WIS 12, CHA 8
Attack: +10/+5 melee (BAB +6/+1, Str +3, Masterworks +1) & +12/+7 ranged (BAB +6/+1, Dex +5, Masterworks +1)
Damage: 2D4+4 (Scythe) & 1D8+2 (Composite longbow +2)
AC: +11 (+1 Wyvern-scale armour +6, Dex +5)
Saves: Fort +5(+1), Ref +5(+5), Will +2(+1)

Animal Companion- Rhinoceros, Woolly (level 3)
HP: 27
Stats: STR 17, DEX 15, CON 15, INT 2, WIS 13, CHA 11
Size: M
AC: +8 (Dex +2, natural armour +6,)
Attack: +5 (BAB +2, STR + 3)
Damage: 1d8+4
Skills: Perception (2), survival (1)
Saves: Fort +3(+0), Ref +3(+4), Will +1(+1)
Feat: Toughness, intimidating prowess
Bonus tricks: 2
Special qualities: Scent

Unbalanced
2014-01-02, 10:42 PM
This is roughly what I've come up with so far:

STR 16 (+2 = 18)
DEX 14 (-2 = 12)
CON 14
INT 10
WIS 12 (+2 = 14)
CHA 8

Soulknife 1-
Attack: +6 (BAB +1, Str +4, Weapon focus +1)
Damage: 3D6+6 (large psionic spiked hammer - bludgeoning & piercing)
AC: +7 (Breastplate +6, Dex +1)
Saves: Fort +0(+2) Ref +2(+1) Will +2(+2)
Soulknife: Bonus feat (Weapon focus), form mind blade, shape mind blade, throw mind blade, psionic talent
Feat: Power attack
Power points/day: 2

Soulknife 1/Psychic warrior 1-
Attack: +6 (BAB +1, Str +4, Weapon focus +1)
Saves: Fort +2(+2) Ref +2(+1) Will +2(+2)
Psychic warrior: Bonus feat (cleave), psionic proficiency, warrior's path (interceptor path)
Power points/day: 4 (+2 psionic talent, +1 psychic warrior, +1 wis bonus)
Powers known: 2- Compression, Expansion (+1 psychic warrior, +1 interceptor path)

Soulknife 2/Psychic warrior 1-
Attack: +7 (BAB +2, Str +4, Weapon focus +1)
Saves: Fort +2(+2) Ref +3(+1) Will +3(+2)
Soulknife: Blade skill (ice blade)
Feat: Psionic talent

Soulknife 2/Psychic warrior 2-
Attack: +8 (BAB +3, Str +4, Weapon focus +1)
Saves: Fort +3(+2) Ref +3(+1) Will +3(+2)
Psychic warrior: Bonus feat (Improved sunder)
Power points/day: 8 (+4 psionic talent, +2 psychic warrior, +2 wis bonus)
Powers known: 3- Compression, Expansion, Inevitable strike (+2 psychic warrior, +1 interceptor path)
+1 STR

Soulknife 3/Psychic warrior 2-
Attack: +9 (BAB +4, Str +4, Weapon focus +1)
Saves: Fort +3(+2) Ref +3(+1) Will +3(+2)
Soulknife: Enhanced mind blade +1, psychic strike +1D8
Feat: ???

Another question I was thinking is the Wis bonus to power points goes up depending on "manifester level"... So does that mean at Soulknife 3/Psychic warrior 2 that I'm manifester level 2 (like I've done) or that I'm in fact manifester level 5???

Thalnawr
2014-01-03, 02:57 AM
*snip*
Another question I was thinking is the Wis bonus to power points goes up depending on "manifester level"... So does that mean at Soulknife 3/Psychic warrior 2 that I'm manifester level 2 (like I've done) or that I'm in fact manifester level 5???
Yes, you are level 2 for psychic warrior manifester level. Soulknife doesn't grant manifester levels at all, unless you're using the gifted blade archetype.
Edit: And if you were to use the gifted blade, it would have its own separate ML progression.

Turion
2014-01-03, 07:37 AM
Do you have access to Psionics Augmented or Ultimate Psionics? If so, you should really look into the Dark Tempest PrC; you're already multiclassing PsyWarWar and SK, and that merges them rather nicely.

The power you're looking for is Forced Share Pain, by the way. It's a 3rd level psion power, so you'll have to nab it through Expanded Knowledge.

Unbalanced
2014-01-06, 02:11 AM
Yes, you are level 2 for psychic warrior manifester level. Soulknife doesn't grant manifester levels at all, unless you're using the gifted blade archetype.
Edit: And if you were to use the gifted blade, it would have its own separate ML progression.

Thanks for the clarification, I assumed that was how it worked, but seeing as I've never really had any exposure to psionics before, its all quite new and hard to wrap my head around...

Do you have access to Psionics Augmented or Ultimate Psionics? If so, you should really look into the Dark Tempest PrC; you're already multiclassing PsyWarWar and SK, and that merges them rather nicely.

The power you're looking for is Forced Share Pain, by the way. It's a 3rd level psion power, so you'll have to nab it through Expanded Knowledge.

I have access to d20pfsrd, I don't own any of the PF books.
I left that up to my DM to buy after I'd just forked out on a few D&D books about 3 weeks before we decided to convert systems -__-"

Anywhere online I can see the Dark Tempest PrC? I can't seem to find anything on D20pfsrd or with a google search.

As for the share pain power... I was actually looking to do it through the Vitalist's core abilities. Forcing the enemy into the "collective" and then transferring wounds and such from there. Though I'm having a bit of trouble reading through it all and working out if its possible because, as I said, the whole psionics thing is pretty new to me. Hence why I'm asking for help...

Psyren
2014-01-06, 02:35 AM
It seems like Ultimate Psionics has most of what you'll want to make these work (Dark Tempest and Life Leech Vitalist.) It should be on the d20PFSRD soon, but if you can't wait then you can always buy the book, or at least the cheaper Psionics Augmented PDF to go with the existing SRD material.

Unknown race- vitalist/wilder(maybe):
Idea for this guy is that he hurts himself, then transfers those wounds to his enemies. Not sure how the mechanics of it all would work, but ideally I'd like him to be able to even debuff himself and transfer that to enemies as well.
Only real reason I suggest the wilder, is I like the idea of him being rather emotional, and when his usual tactic/s aren't working, an aggressive outburst of psionic power would be really cool.

Instead of Wilder, you can use Overchannel to simulate this aggressive, emotional lashing out of power without losing Vitalist levels.

As mentioned above, Life Leech Vitalist sounds like what you want - letting you force people into your collective with Unwilling Participant, then transferring your wounds to them, stealing their health, and transmitting it elsewhere in the collective. You can also transfer negative conditions from yourself to them, though your ability to inflict these conditions on yourself is limited - instead, keep them in your collective while you go adventuring, preferably restrained somewhere that they can't flee out of range and break the connection. You can even redirect incoming damage, and not just from yourself, but from anyone else in the collective (i.e. your party) who is about to get hit, to the poor sap.

Life Leech can also be combined with Sadist - this archetype gives you bonuses when someone in your collective dies. So you transfer wounds, debilitating conditions and incoming blows to your victim until they expire, gain temporary power points when that happens, and can immediately replace the dead victim or start transferring wounds to a new patsy.

Again, these seem to fit what you want perfectly but you'll probably have to buy the book if you don't want to wait on the SRD to list them. If it makes you feel any better it's a worthwhile expense.

Unbalanced
2014-01-06, 05:11 AM
Instead of Wilder, you can use Overchannel to simulate this aggressive, emotional lashing out of power without losing Vitalist levels.

Great idea! Simulates the effect very well, and being a vitalist, losing some hit points shouldn't mess me about too much.

As mentioned above, Life Leech Vitalist sounds like what you want - letting you force people into your collective with Unwilling Participant, then transferring your wounds to them, stealing their health, and transmitting it elsewhere in the collective. You can also transfer negative conditions from yourself to them, though your ability to inflict these conditions on yourself is limited - instead, keep them in your collective while you go adventuring, preferably restrained somewhere that they can't flee out of range and break the connection. You can even redirect incoming damage, and not just from yourself, but from anyone else in the collective (i.e. your party) who is about to get hit, to the poor sap.

Life Leech can also be combined with Sadist - this archetype gives you bonuses when someone in your collective dies. So you transfer wounds, debilitating conditions and incoming blows to your victim until they expire, gain temporary power points when that happens, and can immediately replace the dead victim or start transferring wounds to a new patsy.

Again, these seem to fit what you want perfectly but you'll probably have to buy the book if you don't want to wait on the SRD to list them. If it makes you feel any better it's a worthwhile expense.

Sounds perfect! Cheers.
I read through it quickly and it all seemed to work, but I didn't really look deeply into the mechanics of it, so I thought that I'd perhaps misinterpreted.
The idea of getting boosts from members of my collective dying is ideal as well!

Thanks.
Now just to get my hands on that material... Or my DM doing it... Or waiting for D20PFSRD :P