PDA

View Full Version : What are the good regional feats?

CyberThread
2014-01-01, 11:46 PM
If you get a free regional feat for a forgotten realms game, what do you think are the best ones?

bekeleven
2014-01-01, 11:56 PM
One gives all knowledges as class skills. Another grants martial weapon proficiency. Those are the ones most able to make or break a build, I think.

Brookshw
2014-01-01, 11:58 PM
Don't recall if it was a regional feat but the one which let's you sell items for 75% was pretty awesome.

vhfforever
2014-01-01, 11:59 PM
Educated (All Knowledge skills), Militia (Martial Weapons), Otherworldly (Outsider), and Magical Aptitude (a few minor spells, but lets you cast arcane spells as prc qualifier) are the ones that come to mind the quickest for me.

vhfforever
2014-01-02, 12:01 AM
Don't recall if it was a regional feat but the one which let's you sell items for 75% was pretty awesome.

Mercantile, yes it is one. It also gives you a bonus 300 gps to start with and lets you buy a single item a month at a discount.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-01-02, 12:04 AM
Mercantile Background: Sell loot for 75% of base value instead of the standard 50%, make big purchases for 75% of cost instead of full price, and begin play with an extra 300 gp. Ideally you want to keep the rest of the party in the dark about how you can sell loot for more, and especially how much more you can sell it for. Just role-play it as special contacts that you have to visit alone, bring back 55-60% of the loot's value to split with the group and pocket the other 15-20% for yourself. If more than one person would get it, only put it on one character and everyone (or just those characters) benefit from selling loot at 75%.

Dreadful Wrath: The fear handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3809.0) should tell you everything you need to know about how good this one is. The more characters in the party who have it, the better.

Battle Jump: Deal double damage when you charge as long as you're able to jump down from at least 5 feet above your opponent, arguably it works if you're able to make a high jump of at least that much. Combine it with Leap Attack, a Valorous weapon, a Wand of Rhino's Rush, Pounce, and anything else beneficial to making huge boss-killing charge attacks.

Otherworldly: Being able to Alter Self and (Persistent, Draconic) Polymorph into an Outsider is amazing, plus gaining racial proficiency in all martial weapons is a nice bonus. It's a staple of high-op Cleric Archers who use Greater Anyspell with DMM: Persistent Draconic Polymorph to turn into an Arrow Demon all day.

Magical Training: Gain the ability to cast several 0-level spells as a Sorcerer or Wizard, chosen when taking the feat. This allows you to meet certain arcane spellcasting prerequisites without multiclassing, such as for Dweomerkeeper. If you pick Wizard you get a spellbook, and per Rules Compendium you'll be able to learn more spells and add them to it just as a Wizard does. If you get the feat Versatile Spellcaster you can use that to spend two spell slots of the same level to cast any spell you know of one level higher, which would include those additional spells you've added to the spellbook. This can give a limited spell list class such as Beguiler, Warmage, or Dread Necromancer access to Wizard spells.

Jeff the Green
2014-01-02, 12:05 AM
Depends on the class.

Dreadful Wrath is kind of awesome for almost anyone.
Education is useful for anyone who wants to be a knowledge monkey or get into certain PrCs.
Militia and Otherworldly get you proficiency with all martial weapons, getting you into a bunch of PrCs without a dip, and the latter also opens up some nifty alter self forms.
Lion Tribe Warrior gets you limited pounce.
Mercantile Background enables some nifty auromancy.
Arcane Schooling lets you use wands without UMD.

gorfnab
2014-01-02, 01:11 AM
Magic in the Blood - racial SLAs that were 1/day become 3/day. Great for low level Gnomes (especially Whisper Gnomes) and Drow (combined with the feats from DotU, like Gift of the Spider Queen).

Phelix-Mu
2014-01-02, 01:20 AM
Magic in the Blood - racial SLAs that were 1/day become 3/day. Great for low level Gnomes (especially Whisper Gnomes) and Drow (combined with the feats from DotU, like Gift of the Spider Queen).

Whoa. That is nice. Might use that on a wispling I have where I am trying to get more mileage out of their alter self ability.

Hmm. I imagine there are a number of other cases where this could be handy.

CyberThread
2014-01-02, 01:27 AM
Actually I remember that feat, and some say make it worth becoming a deep dwarf, getting /3 invisibility /3 expansion

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-01-02, 02:19 AM
Magic in the Blood works for spell-like abilities gained from templates as well, so any 1/day spell-like abilities gained from Half-Fey, Phrenic, Half-Fiend, and even Spellstitched will go up to 3/day.

Uncle Pine
2014-01-02, 04:29 AM
Merchantile Background: start playing with way more loot than you should have (you bought everything at 75%) and get more and more loot as the campaign goes on.
Magical Training: can you spell early entry?
Long Reach: 15 ft. reach with your aptitude weapon of choice.
Troll Blooded: a Greyhawk regional feat, but I wanted to list it anyway. Grants regeneration 1, which is very neat.

TypoNinja
2014-01-02, 04:55 AM
Troll Blooded: a Greyhawk regional feat, but I wanted to list it anyway. Grants regeneration 1, which is very neat.

This is amazing.

I've always liked Jotunbrud, be treated as large sized for any opposed rolls, you also get counted as large size for any abilities based off size (like swallow whole).

And for hilarity your base height and weight go way up so you are a huge hulking brute. Though still officially medium sized.

Bullet06320
2014-01-02, 05:40 AM
I like thug for low level rogues, bonus to intiative, extra gold to start, and depending on which version a bonus to appraise
besides with the name like thug, just adds flavor to a rogue, lol

danzibr
2014-01-02, 07:01 AM
I forget the name, but there's one that grants +5 hp, like super Toughness. Now that's cool.

Palanan
2014-01-02, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by danzibr
I forget the name, but there's one that grants +5 hp, like super Toughness. Now that's cool.

This is Dauntless, from Player's Guide to Faerūn. It's great on first- and second-level NPCs, like your entire goon squad had their Wheaties.

ShurikVch
2014-01-02, 06:06 PM
Mostly all good ones already mentioned, but still there are some decent:

Faerunian (PGF):
Fearless
Fleet of Foot
Foe Hunter
Furious Charge
Horse Nomad
Luck of Heroes
Saddleback
Strong Soul
Swift and Silent
Tireless

Greyhawk (Dragon #315, 319, 350)
Deepseer
Driftwalker
Great Fervor
Greyhawk Method
Nexus Method
Second Sight
Tested – Gift of Prophesy
Tested – Gift of Sight
Vohoun Eye

Keldrin
2014-01-02, 10:00 PM
I've always liked Blooded:

You get a +2 bonus on initiative checks and a +2 bonus on Spot checks. You cannot become shaken, and you ignore the effects of the shaken condition. However, you can still be frightened or panicked.