PDA

View Full Version : Caster type questions

Grizzled Gryphon
2014-01-02, 01:19 AM
Wouldn't Alacritous Cogitation make a prepared caster a spontaneous caster as well?

If you had levels of, say, Wizard and Sorcerer, wouldn't you be able to cast all the Wizard spells you know with your Sorcerer slots? After all, they are spells you know.

And, for the big one, are there ways to get more spells known as a Sorcerer?

BowStreetRunner
2014-01-02, 10:08 AM
Wouldn't Alacritous Cogitation make a prepared caster a spontaneous caster as well?
Some DMs interpret it that way, others do not. Regardless of what the playground thinks about such things, ultimately the only opinion that matters is that of your own DM. It certainly is a question worth asking, as it opens up a myriad of possibilities if the DM allows it.

If you had levels of, say, Wizard and Sorcerer, wouldn't you be able to cast all the Wizard spells you know with your Sorcerer slots? After all, they are spells you know. A multi-class Wizard/Sorcerer still has only a limited number of slots for known sorcerer spells. Only the spells in these slots can be cast spontaneously using sorcerer slots. The wizard spells have to be prepared to cast. However, there are a number of feats/class abilities that help get around this limitation. Ultimate Magus has Expanded Spell Knowledge for instance.

And, for the big one, are there ways to get more spells known as a Sorcerer?
There are indeed many ways to get more spells known as a sorcerer. There are feats (such as Draconic Legacy), prestige classes (such as Unseen Seer, Frost Mage, Fiend Blooded), and even racial substitution levels (such as Dragonblood Sorcerer).

Grizzled Gryphon
2014-01-02, 09:07 PM
Interesting, thanks for the answers.

Is Alacritous Cogitation for a Wizard a good feat? Seems like the diversity it offers, especially combined with Collegiate Wizard, makes it a must-have. However, I am not very good at the optimization thing, so I could be way off.

ExcessiveFarce
2014-01-05, 03:13 PM
Interesting, thanks for the answers.

Is Alacritous Cogitation for a Wizard a good feat? Seems like the diversity it offers, especially combined with Collegiate Wizard, makes it a must-have. However, I am not very good at the optimization thing, so I could be way off.

It's nifty, but if you can spare the extra feat for the prerequisite, Uncanny Foresight (from Exemplars of Evil) gets my vote, simply because you can use it more than once per day for very similar effect.

Grizzled Gryphon
2014-01-05, 04:28 PM
A wizard? Spare a feat? Surely, you jest!!:smallbiggrin:

Osiris
2014-01-05, 05:28 PM
Technically, no, but it does allow spontaneity. I usually take it at level one, and the only thing Sorc's beat you at is rapidly applying Metamagic, and if you're a smart player, you've already got it covered. That's why I play wizards- I love being OP. Even if I'm an evoker, due to the lack of OP in my party of low OP.