PDA

View Full Version : Witch for Skull & Shackles camp

arcanegene
2014-01-02, 01:34 AM
Trying to adjust and optimize my build so far for a winter witch being introduced at 3rd level... help and advice is very welcome!

Tiefling Witch (Winter Witch) 3
N Medium outsider (native)
Init +2; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +1
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 12, touch 12, flat-footed 10 (+2 Dex)
hp 22 (3d6+8)
Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3
Resist cold 5, electricity 5, fire 5
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft.
Special Attacks hexes (cackle, evil eye [dc 15], slumber [dc 15], water lung)
Spell-Like Abilities
Constant—endure elements (cold only)
At will— deathwatch
Witch (Winter Witch) Spells Prepared (CL 3rd; concentration +7):
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 9, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 18, Wis 11, Cha 8
Base Atk +1; CMB +0; CMD 12
Feats Extra Hex, Extra Hex
Skills Fly +6, Knowledge (arcana) +10, Knowledge (history) +10, Knowledge (nature) +10, Knowledge
(planes) +10, Perception +1, Spellcraft +10, Use Magic Device +5; Racial Modifiers +4 Fly
Languages Common
SQ cold flesh, patron spells (deception)
Other Gear 150 GP
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Cackle (Su) As a move action, extend the duration of other hexes by 1 rd.
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white vision only).
Deliver Touch Spells Through Familiar (Su) Your familiar can deliver touch spells for you.
Empathic Link with Familiar (Su) You have an empathic link with your Arcane Familiar.
Endure Elements (Cold only) (Ex) Exist comfortably in cold regions.
Energy Resistance, Cold (5) You have the specified Energy Resistance against Cold attacks.
Energy Resistance, Electricity (5) You have the specified Energy Resistance against Electricity attacks.
Energy Resistance, Fire (5) You have the specified Energy Resistance against Fire attacks.
Evil Eye -2 (7 round(s)) (DC 15) (Su) Foe in 30 ft takes penalty to your choice of AC, attacks, saves,
ability or skill checks (Will part).
Familiar Bonus: +3 to Bluff checks You gain the Alertness feat while your familiar is within arm's reach.
Share Spells with Familiar Can cast spells with a target of "You" on the familiar with a range of touch.
Slumber (3 rds) (DC 15) (Su) Foe in 30 ft falls asleep for duration, or until damaged or roused by ally
(Will neg).
Water Lung (Su) An air-breathing target can breathe water or an aquatic target can breathe air. This lasts
1 minute. If the witch uses this hex on herself, she can maintain it while she sleeps, allowing her to
safely sleep underwater.

If not winter witch, go with another archetype or just stay base witch? and If I go with a familar, considering it's a campaign where there is a lot of time im in the water, go with the raven, or which familar?

Also not convinced those are the best hex selections. help would be greatly appreciated :)

Saidoro
2014-01-02, 02:06 AM
Skull and Shackles is the pirate one, right? Water lung is kind of a wasted hex in most campaigns but it should be a fine choice if you're spending a lot of time in and around water. Misfortune is probably a better choice than Evil Eye given that you have cackle to offset its very short duration. Cackle doesn't really do anything useful with evil eye since it'll generally last the whole fight anyway. You could also try dumping the extra hex feats(losing evil eye and cackle) and grab Accursed Hex and Ability Focus(Slumber) to really concentrate on just putting things to sleep as effectively as possible. How did you assign your ability scores? They look rolled, but if they're some sort of point buy you should consider dropping a bit more wisdom and strength to boost Dex or Int. Winter witch doesn't much matter one way or the other, it doesn't give much but it doesn't cost much and there aren't any must have witch archetypes(Personally, I like hedge witch, but it's not really much of an upgrade). Make sure to grab web when you're selecting spells, it's a good spell that'll expand your targetable saves in any game, and it gets even better if you're doing most of your fighting in constructed environments like ships and towns.

Looks pretty solid, though. This is mostly just fine-tuning.

arcanegene
2014-01-02, 02:16 AM
Skull and Shackles is the pirate one, right? Water lung is kind of a wasted hex in most campaigns but it should be a fine choice if you're spending a lot of time in and around water. Misfortune is probably a better choice than Evil Eye given that you have cackle to offset its very short duration. Cackle doesn't really do anything useful with evil eye since it'll generally last the whole fight anyway. You could also try dumping the extra hex feats(losing evil eye and cackle) and grab Accursed Hex and Ability Focus(Slumber) to really concentrate on just putting things to sleep as effectively as possible. How did you assign your ability scores? They look rolled, but if they're some sort of point buy you should consider dropping a bit more wisdom and strength to boost Dex or Int. Winter witch doesn't much matter one way or the other, it doesn't give much but it doesn't cost much and there aren't any must have witch archetypes(Personally, I like hedge witch, but it's not really much of an upgrade). Make sure to grab web when you're selecting spells, it's a good spell that'll expand your targetable saves in any game, and it gets even better if you're doing most of your fighting in constructed environments like ships and towns.

Looks pretty solid, though. This is mostly just fine-tuning.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. yes, it is for that campaign. I got water lung so I'd be able to cast spells often from in the water, other than that I would agree with you. I wish I could use it for something else. I grabbed Accursed Hex and Ability focus (hah, I originally had that selected and back-pedaled. Yeah, the stats were already chosen, they were as follows :Core and Featured races with stats 16, 14, 13, 11, 10, 9. Published paizo material. DM has given me a bit of leeway. So i can tweak that.... if I were to go to hedgeW, what do you think would be an adequate replacement for water lungs? In the end I am going to need to be casting spells under water-

def will grab web- thought about glitterdust too?

one other large question is which familiar to go with? I've been wracking my brains with this one.

thanks in advance :)

Saidoro
2014-01-02, 02:57 AM
Glitterdust is pretty solid even after the PF nerf, but it may be a bit close to what you've got already, web already shuts down things in an area and slumber already shuts down things with a will save. Probably better to diversify a bit, I'd go for Blood transcription(which saves time and money), Vomit swarm(Hard for most monsters to deal with and can shut down casters) or blindness/deafness(targets fortitude saves and is very classy). Glitterdust is a better choice to buy or to select on hitting 4th level when your basics are a bit more covered.

Hedge witch doesn't need to lose water lungs, it doesn't cost anything before 4th level. Also, witches have a bit of an advantage over other casters in that their hexes don't require verbal or somatic components and so can be cast freely underwater whether you can breathe/move or not.

A witch's familiar can be useful but it's also a weakness, if you lose it you lose all your spells. So you want to go with something mobile and hard to kill, with useful extra abilities on the side if you can manage it. Compsognathus or bat are generally the best choices, compsognathus because it has an awesome familiar ability while doing a decent job of staying out of trouble and bat because it's highly mobile and its blindsense makes it(and by extension, you) much more difficult to ambush.

arcanegene
2014-01-02, 09:04 AM
Glitterdust is pretty solid even after the PF nerf, but it may be a bit close to what you've got already, web already shuts down things in an area and slumber already shuts down things with a will save. Probably better to diversify a bit, I'd go for Blood transcription(which saves time and money), Vomit swarm(Hard for most monsters to deal with and can shut down casters) or blindness/deafness(targets fortitude saves and is very classy). Glitterdust is a better choice to buy or to select on hitting 4th level when your basics are a bit more covered.

Hedge witch doesn't need to lose water lungs, it doesn't cost anything before 4th level. Also, witches have a bit of an advantage over other casters in that their hexes don't require verbal or somatic components and so can be cast freely underwater whether you can breathe/move or not.

A witch's familiar can be useful but it's also a weakness, if you lose it you lose all your spells. So you want to go with something mobile and hard to kill, with useful extra abilities on the side if you can manage it. Compsognathus or bat are generally the best choices, compsognathus because it has an awesome familiar ability while doing a decent job of staying out of trouble and bat because it's highly mobile and its blindsense makes it(and by extension, you) much more difficult to ambush.

Taking the compsognathus, I think it's flavourful and useful. Good recc. Taking blindness/deafness too.

Given taking those would you change waterlung too, or keep it? I think that's probably the only thing wracking my brain at this point...:smallsmile:

arcanegene
2014-01-02, 10:35 AM
Sai, a friend told me only about 25% of the campaign will have usefulness in using slumber, taking that into consideration, what would you change ability focus on to?

Curious what other way I could effectively use the witch and hexes if I didn't have to rely on the characters' having a mind which seems to be a prereq for some things.

Saidoro
2014-01-02, 01:22 PM
Water lung is...iffy. It's certainly useful and worth the investment in the right campaign but with things like air bubble and water breathing as accessible as they are even then it isn't necessary. It's at its best at low levels when it's the only(or at least the cheapest) source of all-day water breathing, and remains handy even at higher ones when it's an excellent backup(dispel magic can be a scarily effective kill spell against an unprepared underwater party and water lung removes that problem). Ultimately, you can take it or leave it, neither will cripple your character.

I'm guessing they mean that a lot of things will be immune to mind-affecting effects, which narrows your options a bit. You could trade it back to extra hex and select either fortune or misfortune. Neither are really worth using on their own unless you have no other spells or hexes that you want to use at the moment, but both become very powerful when you pick up cackle, so if you go that path you should either grab cackle at the earliest opportunity or trade water lung for it(Fun fact: you can cackle twice in a round, so you can actually extend the remaining duration of fortune over time if you want to, allowing you to easily keep it up on all of your friends at all times). Another good option would be to spend it on the Craft Wondrous Items feat, magic crafting is a very useful thing to be able to do which can help the entire party(protip: buy a ring of sustenance). Or you could just leave ability focus as it is, the presence of a lot of mind-affecting immune creatures will make it less useful but slumber is still a really good hex. You can always retrain it later if it isn't pulling its weight.

Barstro
2014-01-02, 02:00 PM
Misfortune is probably a better choice than Evil Eye given that you have cackle to offset its very short duration. Cackle doesn't really do anything useful with evil eye since it'll generally last the whole fight anyway.

I respectfully disagree.
Misfortune is hit or miss and requires cackle to last another round if it does hit.
Evil Eye is hit or still affect for a round (and can cackle to prolong), so you know it will have an affect.

The biggest issue I have as a Witch (just hit level 8, so I'm far from an expert) is that fights don't last long enough to really see a lot of fun out of Misfortune. If it does land, the fight is usually over in a round or two anyway. At least with Evil Eye, I can pretend that the -2 (now -4) to defense helped out everyone else or that the -2 on saving throws helped some other caster land a spell.

Saidoro's other post about Mind-Effecting is important. Misfortune effects the world, not the mind, so it can work on undead, etc.

Fortune looks good on paper, but I've never been in a situation where I wished I had that instead of flight or any other Hex I picked up.

Fun fact: you can cackle twice in a round, so you can actually extend the remaining duration of fortune over time if you want to, allowing you to easily keep it up on all of your friends at all times
That's cheesy, and I swear I read an errata that said it cannot be done that way. Otherwise, the Witch would Fortune everyone in the morning, double cackle for eight hours, and then they all go adventuring

EDIT: Found it. (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fn#v5748eaic9qoy)

Saidoro
2014-01-02, 03:25 PM
I respectfully disagree.
Misfortune is hit or miss and requires cackle to last another round if it does hit.
Evil Eye is hit or still affect for a round (and can cackle to prolong), so you know it will have an effect.
Fair point, I forgot that part about evil eye. Still, I would maintain that misfortune is more useful. It isn't mind effecting, so it opens up a whole range of extra targets and it just has a much better effect overall.

The biggest issue I have as a Witch (just hit level 8, so I'm far from an expert) is that fights don't last long enough to really see a lot of fun out of Misfortune. If it does land, the fight is usually over in a round or two anyway. At least with Evil Eye, I can pretend that the -2 (now -4) to defense helped out everyone else or that the -2 on saving throws helped some other caster land a spell.
The lowest of 2d20 has a mean value of 7.17 (http://anydice.com/program/1227). About -3 from a normal roll just looking at that value. If you look at the distribution in depth it becomes even better, 75% of the results are 10 or below compared to 50% before, if an enemy is forced to make a save which they would have passed on an 11 or higher it's the equivalent of a -5 to their save. Hitting their attack rolls as well is gravy.

That's cheesy, and I swear I read an errata that said it cannot be done that way. Otherwise, the Witch would Fortune everyone in the morning, double cackle for eight hours, and then they all go adventuring

EDIT: Found it. (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fn#v5748eaic9qoy)
Nah, what you do is get a horse(or a boat) and double cackle all day while letting it do all the walking. And it's not cheesy, it's making a less than useful ability actually worth the time. Is it really that much better than just riding round on a phantom steed all day and cackling once per round? Besides which, FAQ isn't errata. It's the Paizo devs coming up with rulings on situations which are unclear or poorly balanced or, in this case, neither. They're a resource GMs can look to in making their own rulings or attempting to determine intent, but they don't actually change the rules.

Barstro
2014-01-02, 04:13 PM
Misfortune... 75% of the results are 10 or below compared to 50% before
True. I'm not saying that Misfortune is bad. I have it and I use it a lot. But Misfortune has drawbacks. It works ONLY if the NPC fails the saving throw. Evil Eye has a 100% chance of lowering by 2 at early levels. Misfortune has a 50% (changes) chance of rolling twice.

Nah, what you do is get a horse(or a boat) and double cackle all day while letting it do all the walking.
1) I thought that a PC cannot substitute a move action for a standard action. A PC can forgo a move and standard action to do a double-move, but cannot waive a standard action to do something that requires a move action.
2) Irrespective of that, are you saying that the FAQ can be ignored, and a Witch can make Fortune last for two extra rounds by cackling twice per round (or last for two hours by double-cackling for one hour)?

Saidoro
2014-01-02, 05:05 PM
True. I'm not saying that Misfortune is bad. I have it and I use it a lot. But Misfortune has drawbacks. It works ONLY if the NPC fails the saving throw. Evil Eye has a 100% chance of lowering by 2 at early levels. Misfortune has a 50% (changes) chance of rolling twice.
Granted. Evil eye is not useless. However, if you are in a situation where you can Evil Eye somthing you would probably rather be Slumbering it. Evil Eye has some niche uses fighting things with really high saves, but at lower levels where hexes are scarce you will usually be better off skipping it in favor of misfortune.

1) I thought that a PC cannot substitute a move action for a standard action. A PC can forgo a move and standard action to do a double-move, but cannot waive a standard action to do something that requires a move action.
2) Irrespective of that, are you saying that the FAQ can be ignored, and a Witch can make Fortune last for two extra rounds by cackling twice per round (or last for two hours by double-cackling for one hour)?

Move Action

A move action allows you to move up to your speed or perform an action that takes a similar amount of time. See Table: Actions in Combat for other move actions.

You can take a move action in place of a standard action. If you move no actual distance in a round (commonly because you have swapped your move action for one or more equivalent actions), you can take one 5-foot step either before, during, or after the action.
You can take a move action in place of a standard action which can then be used for anything a move action can be used for, cackling for example.
And yes, FAQ can be ignored. It's just a set of rulings the devs have made for their games, often without thinking much about the issue or lack thereof beforehand and it contains as many bad rulings as good. It isn't an actual change to the game's mechanics(though DMs are free to make it one if they so choose).

Dalebert
2014-01-02, 06:09 PM
I'm actually considering cackle now when I wasn't before.

arcanegene
2014-01-03, 07:34 AM
I'm actually considering cackle now when I wasn't before.

seems like there will be plenty of cackling going around. hahaha... and according to the rules the double cackle is possible even if my group does follow the FAQ

arcanegene
2014-01-03, 07:41 AM
sai and sar,

my group follows the FAQ unfortunately, so I will be somewhat limited. I'm trying to still make sure I can deal some damage and have some decent hexes even at low levels. what do you think?

I like the idea of cackling, but I also would like someway after debuffing to really deliver some hurt to my enemy (or enemies)

something ice related, psionic?

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2qizw?Help-building-Witch-for-Skull-Shackles-camp#10
With this in mind ^

suggestions, ideas?

Thanks for your input so far, i'm adjusting the build as we go!

Barstro
2014-01-03, 08:38 AM
I like the idea of cackling, but I also would like someway after debuffing to really deliver some hurt to my enemy (or enemies)

You are a full caster. While your Hexes won't do much damage, your spells are decent for damage and great at save-or-suck destroying.
Rod of Bouncing and the spell for Blindness pretty much means you will take one NPC completely out of the fight (especially if you used Evil Eye (saves) first or landed Misfortune).

Sai;
Thanks for explaining to me about the move action. I must be thinking of something else about changing action types per round. I vaguely remember a discussion on here about something that doesn't work in PF that did work in 3.5 because PF made it so that some type of action couldn't be swapped.

And thanks for the info on the FAQ. Nice to know that it's only dicta, and not actual law.

arcanegene
2014-01-03, 08:49 AM
You are a full caster. While your Hexes won't do much damage, your spells are decent for damage and great at save-or-suck destroying.
Rod of Bouncing and the spell for Blindness pretty much means you will take one NPC completely out of the fight (especially if you used Evil Eye (saves) first or landed Misfortune).

Sai;
Thanks for explaining to me about the move action. I must be thinking of something else about changing action types per round. I vaguely remember a discussion on here about something that doesn't work in PF that did work in 3.5 because PF made it so that some type of action couldn't be swapped.

And thanks for the info on the FAQ. Nice to know that it's only dicta, and not actual law.

Good point. Now I know about how that move action works, I know i'll have to explain that to my DM more than likely. Looking up rod of bouncing now... I was wondering if I took some sort of ray, which would work most ideally with the WW- even after taking them out with blindness. that's a lot going on misfortune or evil eye. I still haven't really figured which will be more useful at lower levels (guessing evil eye), but I wonder if a ray of some sort might be useful or spell since any cold/ice descriptors I will get a decent bonus on.

thoughts?

Barstro
2014-01-03, 10:04 AM
Good point. Now I know about how that move action works, I know i'll have to explain that to my DM more than likely. Looking up rod of bouncing now... I was wondering if I took some sort of ray, which would work most ideally with the WW- even after taking them out with blindness. that's a lot going on misfortune or evil eye. I still haven't really figured which will be more useful at lower levels (guessing evil eye), but I wonder if a ray of some sort might be useful or spell since any cold/ice descriptors I will get a decent bonus on.

thoughts?

I haven't looked a whole lot at Winter Witch to know a lot about it, other than the fact that it loses its level-4 hex. I like my hexes and wouldn't give one up lightly.

In the un-scientific sampling of one, I can say; my Witch at lower levels didn't get a Misfortune to land on her first five attempts. Fights where I tried it were either hard because my Witch did nothing, or simple because it landed. Evil Eye, however, always had a decent effect and the fights went "as planned".

I really cannot give you advice on how to best damage NPCs without knowing what the rest of your party will be. Remember, your role is NOT a damage dealer. Fights really don't last long enough for you to do much if you plan on using a hex or two anyway. The only fight that my party has done that lasted more than three rounds was when my Witch was charmed and she was attacking the rest of the party.

Dalebert
2014-01-03, 01:02 PM
Evil eye, while not as potent, lasts longer than misfortune at low levels. Misfortune is only one round and might fail altogether. Evil eye is a minimum of one round but quite a bit longer if they fail the save. If you have enough hexes to get cackle, that makes misfortune more appealing. As a gravewalker, I'll only get one hex until 5th level when I plan to take extra hex and then one more at 6th. I'm struggling between evil eye and slumber. Slumber can take someone out of the combat altogether but is still kind of short duration at low levels and might fail. Evil eye can be a great combo when followed up next round by a SOL spell and the fact that it always works for at least one round is nice. Plus it can be spammed on the same target while slumber is once per day per target. I suspect you're not as short on hexes as I am so you might like a cackle & misfortune combo. I'd favor misfortune over fortune because you can keep using it again every combat. Fortune will get exhausted pretty quickly once you've used it on all your party members.

Saidoro
2014-01-03, 02:56 PM
my group follows the FAQ unfortunately, so I will be somewhat limited. I'm trying to still make sure I can deal some damage and have some decent hexes even at low levels. what do you think?

As a witch your best available action will generally not be making your opponents dead, it will be making them wish they were dead long enough for your allies to make their dreams come true. That being said, there are some good damage spells out there; you just have to look for ones which do something debilitating and also do a bit of damage on top of that. At your level the main ones are Snowball (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/snowball) and its big brother Frost Fall (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/frost-fall). Ear-Piercing Scream (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/e/ear-piercing-scream) is also worth considering for its less resistible damage type and stronger debuff.

arcanegene
2014-01-03, 05:43 PM
As a witch your best available action will generally not be making your opponents dead, it will be making them wish they were dead long enough for your allies to make their dreams come true. That being said, there are some good damage spells out there; you just have to look for ones which do something debilitating and also do a bit of damage on top of that. At your level the main ones are Snowball (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/snowball) and its big brother Frost Fall (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/frost-fall). Ear-Piercing Scream (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/e/ear-piercing-scream) is also worth considering for its less resistible damage type and stronger debuff.

Thanks Sai! This what exactly I was thinking going toward in my mind. I'm going to try and combine the debuffing with a bit of ear piercing/frost fall. Just wanted to flavor a bit of damage and cold in at the same time, i think this does that well

Dalebert
2014-01-04, 12:02 AM
As a witch your best available action will generally not be making your opponents dead, it will be making them wish they were dead long enough for your allies to make their dreams come true.

It's true. Thematically, a lot of witch spells seem particularly sadistic. Whereas a wizard will blast someone to ashes in one round, a witch will make them suffer while probably debilitating them severely so that they're not really much of a threat anymore, if at all. It seems like a witch is perfect if you want to threaten people to get what you want from them. Sometimes that's a more insidious evil than just going around killing people.

My witch, however, is not evil, not yet anyway. That could change. He does have some potentially corrupting influences in his life. :smalltongue:

arcanegene
2014-01-04, 02:12 AM
Crysaenthe
Human Witch (Winter Witch) 3
LN Medium humanoid (human)
Init +2; Senses Perception +2
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 12, touch 12, flat-footed 10 (+2 Dex)
hp 17 (3d6+3)
Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +4
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft., swim 11 ft.
Special Attacks hexes (frozen caress, slumber [dc 15])
Spell-Like Abilities
Constant—endure elements (cold only)
Witch (Winter Witch) Spells Prepared (CL 3rd; concentration +7):
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 9, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 11
Base Atk +1; CMB +0; CMD 12
Feats Aquatic Ancestry, Improved Familiar, Racial Heritage
Traits indomitable faith, magical knack, resilient
Skills Craft (ships) +8, Knowledge (arcana) +10, Knowledge (history) +10, Knowledge (nature) +10,
Knowledge (planes) +10, Perception +2, Profession (sailor) +6, Sense Motive +2, Spellcraft +9, Swim +11,
Use Magic Device +10
Languages Azlanti, Common, Sylvan, Tengu, Thassilonian
SQ amphibious, cold flesh, patron spells (deception)
Other Gear Cloak of resistance +1, 150 GP
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Amphibious (Ex) You can survive indefinitely on land.
Deliver Touch Spells Through Familiar (Su) Your familiar can deliver touch spells for you.
Empathic Link with Familiar (Su) You have an empathic link with your Arcane Familiar.
Endure Elements (Cold only) (Ex) Exist comfortably in cold regions.
Familiar Bonus: You gain the Alertness feat while your familiar is within arm's reach.
Frozen Caress (Su) Whenever the winter witch casts a touch spell, she can infuse the magic with cold
as a swift action. This grants the spell the cold descriptor, and adds 1d4 points of cold damage to the
spell’s effect. If the touch spell allows a saving throw, a succ
Magical Knack (Witch [Winter Witch]) +2 CL for a specific class, to a max of your HD.
Racial Heritage (-Choose-) You count as another race for the purpose of prerequisites.
Share Spells with Familiar Can cast spells with a target of "You" on the familiar with a range of touch.
Slumber (3 rds) (DC 15) (Su) Foe in 30 ft falls asleep for duration, or until damaged or roused by ally
(Will neg).
Swimming (11 feet) You have a Swim speed.

Familar: Coral Capucin (GM) let me make it flavored into an aquatic phoenix but with the same mechanics.

***Väli***
Coral Capuchin
N Tiny magical beast (aquatic)
Init +3; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision; Perception +6
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 17, touch 15, flat-footed 14 (+3 Dex, +2 size, +2 natural)
hp 8 (2d10+2)
Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +4
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft., climb 30 ft., fly 40 ft. (good), swim 30 ft.
Melee bite +7 (1d3-2/×2)
Space 2.5 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Special Attacks cursed bite
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 6, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 11, Wis 13, Cha 7
Base Atk +2; CMB +3; CMD 11
Feats Weapon Finesse
Skills Climb +6, Perception +6, Sleight of Hand +8, Spellcraft +2, Stealth +15 (+19 in coral reefs), Swim
+10, Use Magic Device +1; Racial Modifiers +4 Sleight of Hand, +4 Stealth in coral reefs
Languages Common (can't speak)
SQ amphibious, improved evasion, moisture dependency
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Amphibious (Ex) You can survive indefinitely on land.
Climbing (30 feet) You have a Climb speed.
Cursed Bite (DC 12) (Su) Victim takes 1d6 dam every 10 min out of water but can hold breath 2x as
long (Fort neg).
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white vision only).
Flight (40 feet, Good) You can fly!
Improved Evasion (Ex) No damage on successful reflex save; half on failed save.
Low-Light Vision See twice as far as a human in low light, distinguishing color and detail.
Moisture Dependency Can stay out of water for Con hours, then takes 1d6 damage every hour.
Swimming (30 feet) You have a Swim speed.---------------------------

The other party memebers are, goblin rogue, elven druid, halfing bard, undine cleric, orc barb, slyph sorcerer

Given that, what tweaks would you make if any? Equipment and spells is where I may have not picked the best choices. not sure...

Sai, Sar, Dal

tell me what you think...

grarrrg
2014-01-04, 02:38 AM
And yes, FAQ can be ignored. It's just a set of rulings the devs have made for their games, often without thinking much about the issue or lack thereof beforehand and it contains as many bad rulings as good. It isn't an actual change to the game's mechanics(though DMs are free to make it one if they so choose).

As far as Paizo works, FAQ's ARE rules. Paizo only issues Errata when they do a (major) print run of a product, the FAQ's are (partially) there to fill in the meantime.
You/your DM are still free to ignore them as you would any other rule, but the FAQ's are still how the people who wrote the rules believe the rules should work.

There are 2 main types of FAQ's:
Clarifications. When an ability/spell/etc... is poorly worded, or has potentially odd interactions with another ability/spell/etc... an FAQ is used to clear up how it is intended to work.
The other main type are the Errata-type entries, such as the one for Cackle. Note how it says "No, you can only use cackle once per round.
This is being considered for clarification in a future printing of the Advanced Player's Guide."
If/When they do the next print run, this is likely to be included, which would upgrade it to Errata.
Note that some FAQ entries have already been upgraded to Errata-status.

arcanegene
2014-01-04, 09:18 AM
As far as Paizo works, FAQ's ARE rules. Paizo only issues Errata when they do a (major) print run of a product, the FAQ's are (partially) there to fill in the meantime.
You/your DM are still free to ignore them as you would any other rule, but the FAQ's are still how the people who wrote the rules believe the rules should work.

There are 2 main types of FAQ's:
Clarifications. When an ability/spell/etc... is poorly worded, or has potentially odd interactions with another ability/spell/etc... an FAQ is used to clear up how it is intended to work.
The other main type are the Errata-type entries, such as the one for Cackle. Note how it says "No, you can only use cackle once per round.
This is being considered for clarification in a future printing of the Advanced Player's Guide."
If/When they do the next print run, this is likely to be included, which would upgrade it to Errata.
Note that some FAQ entries have already been upgraded to Errata-status.

I agree with that somewhat, if you screw something up when you put up it in the first time around, who is to say you didn't do just a bad a job the second time around?

But yes, rules are rules, as you can tell my build follows all those rules, I was asking for advice on my build, not for critique on an FAQ that i'm already following. Lol- no offense but that didn't add anything to the information being exchanged. Anything else to add?

Dalebert
2014-01-04, 02:39 PM
Just a few thoughts. Don't stress over water lung. Go ahead and take it because retraining is not that big a deal, particularly at lower levels. See how useful it is and decide later if you would rather use spells for water breathing so you can get a different hex.

I was certain I was going to take slumber but then thought better of it. The duration is short at low levels. A fair number of creatures will have immunity. Also it's once per day per creature which isn't a huge deal but might come up. You can't just spam it if they make their save. Still, it's a really nice hex. If one creature resists, often you can move on to another one the next round and reduce the enemies you have to fight at once and hopefully it will be asleep long enough to coup de grace it.

I went with evil eye. A debuff that always works for at least one round and frequently for much longer that you can spam on the same creature as needed to keep whittling it down if you're facing something really tough. You can keep adding different debuffs with it or even just extend the duration of he same debuff. Plus it will get stronger in a few levels and really be nice. -2 to save automatic followed by a SOL spell is nice 1-2 combo.

Question: If you evil eye something and it saves and then cackle immediately, will you get two rounds out of evil eye or is it limited to the one round because the creature saved?

Barstro
2014-01-05, 08:01 AM
Pretty sure RAW is that it keeps going. Just means that the Witch uses up the move action.