PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Lucky Bastard

Triskavanski
2014-01-02, 02:56 AM
I'm trying to build a character that uses Fortune's Friend as his primary PRC.

I'm Going human, and making the character Ted the Fry Cook, a hapless cook that gets wrapped up in the adventure.

Now I could go Commoner or some silly such, but lets be better than that! Even if my character doesn't directly apply his ability to help the team, What I'd like to have is spells or abilities that cover that for me. Like Feather Fall - He didn't /actually/ cast the spell to make them land into the pile of rubberized foam that he caught out of the corner of his eye in the nick of time.

Even if mechanically the spell was as such.

Basically, the spells and such should be able to wave off as his unyeilding maddening luck

So far, I'm thinking Battle Sorcerer. At level 5, we use the complete champion variant to gain Luck domain.

Scarce
2014-01-02, 03:43 AM
I did this recently with great success. My build looked like: Cleric 5, Fortunes Friend 5 with the Luck domain. The character worshipped Luck (by having a complete lack of forethought, and relying on luck whenever possible.) This is, of course, assisted by his holy symbol, the +1 Lucky bastard sword, "Old Lucky".

Don't get me wrong, the character was ultimately neither a competent fighter, nor a rogue, nor a cleric, but was really excellent at not dying.

A_S
2014-01-02, 04:03 AM
If you want to tack a little bit of value for your party onto that concept, the Good Karma feat can be really excellent (spend luck rerolls to redirect attacks meant for your buddies to you, then avoid getting hit by still being really lucky).

Nettlekid
2014-01-02, 04:39 AM
Now this would force you to be a Halfling, but maybe you could get a DM to agree to make it Human, or just be a Tallfellow Halfling or something. Or Strongheart to be like Human. I dunno. Anyway, the Luckstealer PrC in Races of the Wild is definitely worth looking at, because as the sidebar on Complete Scoundrel page 73 states, you're allowed to use your Luckstealer luck pool to fuel luck rerolls. Since you get quite few in a day, this is definitely worth it. Especially if you use your luck-stealing ability on your allies, so you're all the luckier while they get unlucky.

This entry (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9208735&postcount=95) from Iron Chef X had a great luck-based character using just that. You could swap it around however you like.

Fouredged Sword
2014-01-02, 08:17 AM
Not only that, but you can pick your lucky moments. A friend can take bad luck during times they don't need it to fuel your luck rerolls during times you want them.

Also, I would suggest maybe a keep kukri and the blood in the water stance, maybe through a warblade dip. Luck rerolls can help fuel crit fishing.