PDA

View Full Version : Alignment Colour Wheel

Mike T
2014-01-02, 07:59 AM
There's been a couple of complex colour wheel threads around lately, which prompted about ten minutes of thought on how I'd do it for a generic D&D type setting.

These colour alignments are not meant to be behavioural straightjackets nor are they split into good/evil. Anyone from any colour can be good or bad, cruel or kind.

All the colour tells you is the way of thinking the character naturally defaults to. A Red character can still be swayed by a logical argument, they just aren't likely to act from logic on their own initiative. A Black character can still do good deeds, they just happen to naturally look for what benefits them in a situation.

Red - Thought from Emotion
Emotion is a powerful but blinding motivator. Red characters can be angry, forceful, skittish, cowardly,

Blue - Thought from Logic
Logic is ultimately just having a set of rules you think by. Blue characters still have emotions but are not in sway to them.

Green - Thought from Instinct
Instinct is that which comes naturally. Going with your gut, indulging your curiosity and trusting your experience are Green thinking.

White - Thought from Altruism
White characters instinctively try to do good for those groups they consider themselves to belong to.

Black - Thought from Egocentrism
Black characters look for personal benefit in any given scenario. If there's no sort of reward for them, they don't really care all that much.

Every living thing gets a colour. Most animals are Green, but baboons and deer are Red, sharks are Blue, ants and chimps are White, locusts are Black, etc.

Smiting effects should target every colour other than the character's own. "Protection from" effects should target a single colour and be named "Protection from Emotion", "Protection from Altruism", etc.

urkthegurk
2014-01-03, 02:57 PM
I mean, I would just name the Protection spells 'protection from white'. Because, you know...

lightningcat
2014-01-07, 06:25 PM
Smiting should only effect the colors opposite of the character's own. Red should smite Blue and White; White should smite Black and Red; etc. While the other two colors should count as Neutral for spell effects that worry about such - Holy Word and such.

I mean, I would just name the Protection spells 'protection from white'. Because, you know...

You could then rename the "Magic Circle against ..." spells as "Circle of Protection against ..." just to see how many people get the joke.

6thEdition
2014-01-07, 09:36 PM
If I have protection from black and protection from blue, am I immune to physical damage?:smallsmile:

This is a great idea, and I honestly think this should be used by people. Instead of chaotic or lawful, you have red and blue. Might also help people RP.

Devils_Advocate
2014-01-07, 10:33 PM
There's been a couple of complex colour wheel threads around lately
Hmm, if that's something that Playgrounders are thinking about again, there's an old thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136177) that they might be interested in looking at.