PDA

View Full Version : D&D in pop culture

G.Cube
2014-01-02, 09:06 AM
Simply for fun, let's list all of the popular media that makes refferences to D&D.

I'll start:

Dexter's Labratory has a D&D episode.

Community has a D&D episode.

I believe it was Fable Two that had a D&D side quest.

Dungeons and Dragons, D&D; Wrath of the Dragon, and D&D: Book of Vile Darkness are all movies obviously based off of D&D.

There's a scene in Shrek Three where two people are playing D&D.

IamL
2014-01-02, 09:16 AM
I'll throw in Gamers and its sequel, Gamers: Dorkness Rising.

MC Frontalot's stuff had a lot of references to D&D.

Futurama has an entire special devoted to a parody of D&D.

There's more, but I think I'll leave it for those to come.

BWR
2014-01-02, 09:26 AM
This (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons_in_popular_culture)might be of use.

I know that Dragon magazine had an issue with a similar list but I cannot for the life of me remember which one.

originalginger
2014-01-02, 09:42 AM
'Big Bang Theory' has referred to it a few times.

WAAAY back in the day, the 80's Nickelodeon show 'You Can't Do That On Television' had a couple episodes where characters played AD&D.

You can't forget the absurd and ill-informed propaganda film 'Mazes and Monsters'

illyahr
2014-01-02, 10:37 AM
That 70's Show had an episode where a radio guy played DnD with a group that included Alice Cooper lol

Slipperychicken
2014-01-02, 10:48 AM
There was an video-game RPG level in which the protagonist is shrunken down and used like a miniature in a dnd-like roleplaying game by several wizards, one of whom narrates the adventure as a GM, and others who argue throughout the level.

The video game "Bully" features a nerd clique which plays a dnd parody called Grottoes and Gremlins. At one point, the protagonist is expected to retrieve some stolen character sheets.

Does the song "Roll a d6" count? I think it has a few million hits on youtube.

Weird Al's "White and Nerdy" (a parody of "Ridin' Dirty") mentions dnd.

There was a british comedy show (I don't recall the name, but it focuses on some IT professionals), in which some characters were introduced to a dnd-like game during an episode.

The video "Dungeons and Dragons and Bitches" centers around a dnd game. It's amazing, but I'm not sure whether it counts as popular culture.

I think there was a Law and Order episode which mentioned dnd.

Lorsa
2014-01-02, 03:01 PM
Eureka makes at least one reference to D&D.

I'm sure there are some other shows that have too that I forgot now...

Adoendithas
2014-01-02, 08:28 PM
There's the famous reference in the movie "E.T. the Extraterrestrial".

Gnoman
2014-01-02, 09:29 PM
A critic's blurb on the back of a novel I saw recently described it as "As if Jane Austen were playing Dungeons and Dragons with Eragon's Christopher Paloni."

Not sure if that counts, or what it even means, though.

Rain Dragon
2014-01-02, 10:08 PM
The IT Crowd has an episode which features D&D.

Jen decides to become entertainment manager only to discover it is a lot harder than she originally thought. Moss and Roy come to the rescue with a D&D game, which everyone enjoyed. Moss also used the game to help Roy out with some personal problems Roy was having throughout the episode.

EDIT -

There was a british comedy show (I don't recall the name, but it focuses on some IT professionals), in which some characters were introduced to a dnd-like game during an episode.

If it's not the IT Crowd and you do remember the name, I would be interested in looking this one up.

Drakeburn
2014-01-02, 11:46 PM
Of course, there is the D&D (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM8sIVzvOlw) sketch from one of my favorite comedies, Studio C!

Exediron
2014-01-03, 12:45 AM
Only one I can think of is in the very last episode of Buffy, the night before the final battle some of the characters play a role-playing game that is obviously D&D - but I don't think it's explicitly called by name.

Oh, and there's an episode of Angel where the billionaire geek they're working for does explicitly mention he used to play D&D.

GungHo
2014-01-03, 09:20 AM
Tom Hanks got his film start in a movie that was basically a Chick Tract about D&D.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-03, 10:16 AM
If it's not the IT Crowd and you do remember the name, I would be interested in looking this one up.

I believe that was it. I only saw a few episodes of it, so it didn't stick in my mind , but it seemed to be an awesome show.

Jlerpy
2014-01-03, 04:24 PM
Of course, there is the D&D (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM8sIVzvOlw) sketch from one of my favorite comedies, Studio C!

Wow. That was terrible.

Jacob.Tyr
2014-01-03, 04:27 PM
Dresden Files book series has the characters playing DnD in their downtime. The wizard in the series plays a barbarian.

Joe the Rat
2014-01-03, 08:30 PM
The Colbert Report. Owlbears, people!

Dresden Files book series has the characters playing DnD in their downtime. The wizard in the series plays a barbarian.
All the way down to the Crown Royal dice bag!

Was that the Futurama episode with Gygax, Gore, et al, or a different one?

Drakeburn
2014-01-15, 08:23 PM
There is also a D&D reference in Duck Dodgers as well (M.M.O.R.D.), but I think it might be a reference to computer RPGs rather than D&D.

Meh. I'll let you guys be the judge. *shrugs*

J-H
2014-01-15, 08:31 PM
In Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, the programmer guy (don't recall his name) plays D&D with John Henry, complete with mind flayers and rolling 20.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-15, 08:32 PM
Futurama has an entire special devoted to a parody of D&D.

Was that the Futurama episode with Gygax, Gore, et al, or a different one?

There also was an episode where they had to track down some kind of radioactive d20 which some kids were rolling as part of a game.

Manly Man
2014-01-15, 08:36 PM
There's an episode of Spongebob Squarepants titled 'Dunces and Dragons'.

Tiiba
2014-01-16, 12:48 AM
From The Venture Brothers:

Dr. Venture: "Oh, come on! You're gonna kill me because I had fake sex on graph paper with a girl who barely spoke to you in real life?"

Krazzman
2014-01-16, 05:12 AM
There is a swedish(?) or other northlandic Gamers-esque movie... Avalestia or something like that. The female Protagonist loses her job because her boyfriend has to go to jail and then she gets a job at a FLGS and later joins their DnD game.

The webcomic pvp has some instances of the cast playing DnD.

In Deadpools game I belive he references it (or some of his insanity voices mention it in a low budget Zeldaesque-pathway).

Futurama has the G. Gygax episode where fry ends up in the year 2000 again.
As well as the special where they try to get hold of a radioactive/magic D12 that functions similar to the One Ring in the alternate Fantasy Universe they are sucked into.

Zanos
2014-01-16, 05:28 AM
Borderlands 2 had an entire expansion pack (http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Tiny_Tina's_Assault_on_Dragon_Keep) based on D&D.

Spoilers for the main game contained in that link though, so tread carefully.

Chaucer85
2014-01-16, 12:42 PM
There was an video-game RPG level in which the protagonist is shrunken down and used like a miniature in a dnd-like roleplaying game by several wizards, one of whom narrates the adventure as a GM, and others who argue throughout the level.

That one was Fable III (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDhoNS_D89c). The creators obviously like to reference it a bit.

Beleriphon
2014-01-16, 01:00 PM
The webcomic pvp has some instances of the cast playing DnD.

As does Penny Arcade, often. To the point that they have a series of comics dedicated to the game and Gabe becoming GM. Also Mike (Gabe's real life counterpart) has illustrated an actual D&D book.