PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] What level would this spell be? (Invading a Bag of Holding)

Rogue Shadows
2014-01-02, 11:25 AM
Subdimensional Rift
Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level: ???
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Area: A sphere 400 ft. + 40 ft./level in diameter.
Effect: Portal into extradimensional or nondimensional space.
Duration: Instantaneous or concentration (up to 1 round/level); see text
Saving Throw: See Text
Spell Resistance: No

Subdimensional rift has two effects. Firstly, upon the spell's completion, the caster instantly becomes aware of the location of all extradimensional and nondimensional spaces within the spell's area of effect, such as those created by a bag of holding or by spells such as Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion.

Secondly, this spell allows the creation of a two-way portal between the caster and any one extradimensional space within the spell's range. This portal is similar to the one created by the spell gate in that is has a front and a back. The portal may be between 1 and 10 feet in diameter (caster's choice).

A subdimensional rift spell functions much like a plane shift spell, except that the gate opens precisely at the point you desire (a creation effect) and beings do not need to hold hands with the caster in order to use the subdimensional rift.

If the extradimensional or nondimensional space being entered is being created by a spell or effect attended by a creature (such as a bag of holding in a character's possession, or any instance of spells such as Modenkainen's magnificent mansion or rope trick), then owner of the extradimensional space may make a Will saving throw against the subdimensional rift. On a success, the rift fails to form and the spell fails.

You could position a subdimensional rift in a hallway in order to absorb any attack or force coming at you by shunting it to the targeted extradimensional or nondimensional space. Whether the inhabitants of that space (if any) appreciate this tactic is, of course, another matter.

You may hold the subdimensional rift open only for a brief time (no more than 1 round per caster level), and you must concentrate on doing so, or else the connection is severed.

Subdimensional rift cannot be used to travel to other planes of existence, such as Ysgard or the demiplanes created by the spell genesis; it only allows travel to and from extradimensional or nondimensional space.

Arcane Focus: A prism worth 500 gp.

Haldir
2014-01-02, 02:19 PM
I vote pretty high. Alternatively, this could be a magic item, add some material components, seems to me like a fancy crystal lens could be a neat thing for a thief to carry. Getting into a persons bag of holding seems fairly strong and insanely useful, which justifies why it has to be Crafted.

Rogue Shadows
2014-01-02, 02:54 PM
I vote pretty high. Alternatively, this could be a magic item, add some material components, seems to me like a fancy crystal lens could be a neat thing for a thief to carry. Getting into a persons bag of holding seems fairly strong and insanely useful, which justifies why it has to be Crafted.

The other end of the spectrum is that it's a fairly limited-use ability, since it's only good at getting into extradimensional space. You can't use it to travel the same plane (effectively), and really, all it does is add a bit of balance back into the game by making rope trick or Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion not be unassailable fortresses, or bags of holding/portable holes be all-but-impermeable places to store loot

I was actually thinking of it only be 3rd or 4th level at most, myself...

Djinn_in_Tonic
2014-01-02, 03:04 PM
My initial instinct is to place this as a 4th level spell. It's powerful in certain circumstances, but has a very specific utility that isn't often desired. 4th is a good level for this sort of spell, as it's just past your traditional blasting spell level (3rd), and a little before the big guns really start to hit, so it's a level that a high level caster might feel okay with filling with some more niche spells.

My vote is, therefore, for 4th level.

Rogue Shadows
2014-01-02, 03:08 PM
Well, counting me, that's two votes for 4th. Do I hear a third?

Fun fact, incidentally, I've had this spell in my head's back-burner for 10 years or so. Go grab your copy of the 3.5 DMG and go to page 44, look at the table for "one hundred adventure ideas."

Idea #67: Thieves steal a great treasure and then flee into Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion.

Every time I've read that I've just thought of myself saying to my players, "you sit outside the impermeable, invisible barrier that is the entrance to Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion. There is no way inside unless the thieves want you inside. But if you wait about 14 hours, they'll pop back out. Should be easy."