PDA

View Full Version : NPC Party build help needed

KnotKnormal
2014-01-02, 12:39 PM
Running a Lvl 15 god killing campaign. 4D6 re-roll 1s and 2s, 6s explode. (very large stats)

During this campaign the Party will come across NPC Parties from other guilds, all with the same goal of killing the gods, but go about it in different ways.

What I need help with is fleshing out the 2 main NPC parties the PC party will encounter. each party should have 5 to 6 members.

The first party is from the raven clan which is essentially a family of assassins and rogues.

and the other is from Canavar guild which members include a lot of different races including a good portion of monster races. (flip through any MM close your eyes and point... its probably in this guild.)

Feel free to go nuts with this, and please include appearances and quirks.

Thanks guys and gals.

P.S. I don't want it to seem as though you guys are building my campaign, but I still haven't fully fleshed out my world, much less the people in it, and the campaign launches in like 2 weeks. so thanks again for helping so much.

BowStreetRunner
2014-01-02, 04:15 PM
The first party is from the raven clan which is essentially a family of assassins and rogues.

This reminds me of a cool pair of NPCs I ran into once. A pair of Kenku rogues - one was a Rogue/Nightsong Enforcer and the other was a Rogue/Nightsong Infiltrator. The Kenku racial abilities had very nice synergy with the Nightsong abilities.

Xervous
2014-01-02, 04:31 PM
Alright, Raven clan... assassins and rogues.

With 5 or 6 people in a party, I would avoid duplicating builds unless you are hoping to have some fluff to go with it.

~Illusion specialized wizard, also employs hearty helpings of necromancy and divination.

~Spiked chain tripper. Obviously a meaty beatstick wouldn't fit the flavor for this party, so this is a nicer option.

~Poison user, probably an archer. Don't forget to give him fun feats like ranged pin.

~Shadowpouncing TWF sneak attacker. Because simple TWF is, well simple. Maybe stick the wounding property on the weapons for good old CON damage.

~TWF crit fisher.

KnotKnormal
2014-01-02, 09:16 PM
Alright, Raven clan... assassins and rogues.

With 5 or 6 people in a party, I would avoid duplicating builds unless you are hoping to have some fluff to go with it.

~Illusion specialized wizard, also employs hearty helpings of necromancy and divination.

~Spiked chain tripper. Obviously a meaty beatstick wouldn't fit the flavor for this party, so this is a nicer option.

~Poison user, probably an archer. Don't forget to give him fun feats like ranged pin.

~Shadowpouncing TWF sneak attacker. Because simple TWF is, well simple. Maybe stick the wounding property on the weapons for good old CON damage.

~TWF crit fisher.

thanks a boat load, ill need help with optimization but this a great start. I've never built a "shadowpouncer" before. im thinking rogue, ranger, shadow caster?

Red Rubber Band
2014-01-02, 09:47 PM
Gnome Beguiler into Shadowmage imo.

Blowgun! Maybe a Shaper Psion?

Teflammar Shadowlord? Teleport and pounce everywhere... there was a thread about a month or so ago about someone wanting to teleport and attack each person in the room (like a WoW Rogue's Shadow Dance) - Edit: Found it. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315419)

Possibly also have a Binder in there. I think thematically a pact making, god killer could be pretty cool. Especially with some of the vestiges.

KnotKnormal
2014-01-03, 12:07 AM
Teflammar Shadowlord? Teleport and pounce everywhere... there was a thread about a month or so ago about someone wanting to teleport and attack each person in the room (like a WoW Rogue's Shadow Dance) - Edit: Found it. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315419)

Possibly also have a Binder in there. I think thematically a pact making, god killer could be pretty cool. Especially with some of the vestiges.

Thanks for the tip, and making the thread easy to find. now all i need to figure out is the monster races party. please keep in mind that in my campaign that all the gods have gone rogue and are basically destroying the material plane so the party can be dysfunctional but work toward a common goal which they seam to be good at.

I'm thinking basic 5 member party so; healer, 2 DPS, meat shield, and support.

so. Nymph Healer (miniatures handbook), Mind flair Sorc, Erinyes scout/ranger, Earth Elemental fighter. (something about an Elemental in full plate kind of scares me.) and i'm thinking a druid for the support character but no idea what class.

Red Rubber Band
2014-01-03, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the tip, and making the thread easy to find. now all i need to figure out is the monster races party. please keep in mind that in my campaign that all the gods have gone rogue and are basically destroying the material plane so the party can be dysfunctional but work toward a common goal which they seam to be good at.

I'm thinking basic 5 member party so; healer, 2 DPS, meat shield, and support.

so. Nymph Healer (miniatures handbook), Mind flair Sorc, Erinyes scout/ranger, Earth Elemental fighter. (something about an Elemental in full plate kind of scares me.) and i'm thinking a druid for the support character but no idea what class.

Nps.

You could go for a Teenage Mutant Ninja Animals team. Anthropomorphic animals and all that jazz.

This is a pixie support character (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19867902/Trixie_the_Party_Booster?pg=1) which I thought was very cool.
Master of Many Forms Warforged = Beastwars D&D style (Wild Shape Ranger 5/MoMF 6, take Beastskin property and put it on your Adamantine Body then turn into an Adamantine TRex... forget where I read that).
Succubus Paladin?
Beary McBearington or whatever the hell he is called... Anthro Bear (is there one?) or a were-bear that has a bear mount and a bear companion and summons bears.
A small melee combatant (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872846/I_May_Be_Tiny%2c_But_Youre_Dead:_the_other%2c_mele e_Killer_Gnome%2c_for_your_pleasure.?pg=1) taking advantage of Confound the Big Folk (just change race from Gnome).
And then there's the perfectly controlled Lycanthrope (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257564).

KnotKnormal
2014-01-03, 06:44 PM
Nps.

You could go for a Teenage Mutant Ninja Animals team. Anthropomorphic animals and all that jazz.

This is a pixie support character (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19867902/Trixie_the_Party_Booster?pg=1) which I thought was very cool.
Master of Many Forms Warforged = Beastwars D&D style (Wild Shape Ranger 5/MoMF 6, take Beastskin property and put it on your Adamantine Body then turn into an Adamantine TRex... forget where I read that).
Succubus Paladin?
Beary McBearington or whatever the hell he is called... Anthro Bear (is there one?) or a were-bear that has a bear mount and a bear companion and summons bears.
A small melee combatant (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872846/I_May_Be_Tiny%2c_But_Youre_Dead:_the_other%2c_mele e_Killer_Gnome%2c_for_your_pleasure.?pg=1) taking advantage of Confound the Big Folk (just change race from Gnome).
And then there's the perfectly controlled Lycanthrope (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257564).

Thanks a bunch for the pixie build that's awesome.

Xervous
2014-01-03, 08:09 PM
Do you want to roll stats for the NPCs or use predetermined stats for their generation?

Runestar
2014-01-03, 10:11 PM
One question I have about the monster guild is motivation. What common cause would cause monsters of different races (and possibly alignments) to band together and not degenerate into infighting?

I recall reading about some Grey Organisation in an old issue of Dragon. It was founded by an Angel and a Devil who were jaded by the continuous warring between their races, and instead left to form a group dedicated to enforcing law and neutrality.

So maybe a cornugon (though an erinyes with levels in scout seems sexier) and astral deva, plus some of their more powerful followers? Can't think of what npcs would complement them however. :smallredface:

KnotKnormal
2014-01-05, 11:23 PM
Do you want to roll stats for the NPCs or use predetermined stats for their generation?

rolled stats would be preferred... but what ever is easier.

KnotKnormal
2014-01-05, 11:26 PM
One question I have about the monster guild is motivation. What common cause would cause monsters of different races (and possibly alignments) to band together and not degenerate into infighting?

I recall reading about some Grey Organisation in an old issue of Dragon. It was founded by an Angel and a Devil who were jaded by the continuous warring between their races, and instead left to form a group dedicated to enforcing law and neutrality.

So maybe a cornugon (though an erinyes with levels in scout seems sexier) and astral deva, plus some of their more powerful followers? Can't think of what npcs would complement them however. :smallredface:

its not just monsters and monsters teaming up... its the entire material plain... the gods have started a war amongst themselves and they are taking out on the material plain. thus unorganized rebellions start up against the gods but quickly become stronger in numbers and power.

KnotKnormal
2014-01-06, 08:12 AM
does anyone have builds for the monster party that I need laying around hat they wouldn't mind posting, I'm quickly running out of time and I'm to busy working on the major plot encounters to look at the these 2 parties.

Thanks everyone