PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Crusader/Scout

Dr. Cliché
2014-01-02, 01:51 PM
Just wondering if a Gestalt Crusader/Scout could work? I was mostly thinking in terms of the extra damage from moving - sacrificing attacks doesn't really matter because I'll be using manoeuvres most of the time, anyway.

Lack of heavy armour could be a pain, but at least that puts damage in my delayed-damage pool. :smallwink:

Does this seem reasonable, or have I missed something?

Rebel7284
2014-01-02, 01:55 PM
I like warblade for this concept more.

Dr. Cliché
2014-01-02, 02:15 PM
I like warblade for this concept more.

But... my precious healing. :smalleek:

More seriously, why Warblade?

ksbsnowowl
2014-01-02, 02:18 PM
One of the 5th level stances, that *I think* Crusaders have access to (I think it is in White Raven?) allows you to take two five-foot steps a round. Even if you are planning to use maneuvers most of the time, being able to drop into a full attack skirmish with a swift action (to change stances) is pretty cool. Be in the stance already, throw up a round-long swift action buff, and you can sort of get the best of both worlds.

That said, I do think Warblade might do this better with Raging Mongoose or whatever the other Full-Attack maneuvers are.

Edit: Yeah, Warblade//Scout with Press the Advantage combined with Raging Mongoose and Time Stands Still. If two-weapon fighting you can get 18 attacks in your full attack, all with Skirmish damage.

Big Fau
2014-01-02, 02:21 PM
But... my precious healing. :smalleek:

More seriously, why Warblade?

Tiger Claw and Diamond Mind. More specifically, Tiger Claw has Sudden Leap and at least one Pounce ability and Diamond Mind has Quicksilver Motion. Those are massive boosts to your Skirmish capability.

Fouredged Sword
2014-01-02, 02:26 PM
Well, warblade has better HD and is more set up to hit hard rather than the crusader, who is more designed to take hits.

That said, the crusader wouldn't feel the loss of armor, as the AC boost would take care of that. They would also benefit from the bonus damage from skirmishing.

What is really tempting to me is to do the following

Crusader 3 / Swordsage 10 / Master of the Nine 5 // Scout 3 / Ranger 17

Pick up swift hunter and go to town. Between wis to AC and the scout skirmish AC bonus, you will be hard to hit. You keep enough crusader to max out with 9th level devoted spirit strikes as a swordsage.

So, Full BAB all the time, wis to AC in light armor, Full skirmish, favored enemies who can be skirmished regardless of type (undead, constructs), and MoTN gives you a capstone of two stances at once for a few rounds each day.

ksbsnowowl
2014-01-02, 02:29 PM
Well, warblade has better HD and is more set up to hit hard rather than the crusader, who is more designed to take hits.

That said, the crusader wouldn't feel the loss of armor, as the AC boost would take care of that. They would also benefit from the bonus damage from skirmishing.

What is really tempting to me is to do the following

Crusader 3 / Swordsage 10 / Master of the Nine 5 // Scout 3 / Ranger 17

Pick up swift hunter and go to town. Between wis to AC and the scout skirmish AC bonus, you will be hard to hit. You keep enough crusader to max out with 9th level devoted spirit strikes as a swordsage.

So, Full BAB all the time, wis to AC in light armor, Full skirmish, favored enemies who can be skirmished regardless of type (undead, constructs), and MoTN gives you a capstone of two stances at once for a few rounds each day.
Just check with your DM on how he plans to handle BAB and the "gestalt feats" like Swift Hunter. For example, in my gestalt game that character wouldn't get the Ranger-Scout stacking of Skirmish, nor would he have Full BAB (he'd have +19 BAB).