PDA

View Full Version : Half-Golem LA

12owlbears
2014-01-02, 02:10 PM
I can't seem to find the LA for the half golem template. Does the +3 to CR mean a LA of +3?

OldTrees1
2014-01-02, 02:14 PM
I can't seem to find the LA for the half golem template. Does the +3 to CR mean a LA of +3?

No +CR does not mean +LA.
However Half Golem is a LA- template (unavailable for PCs).
Source: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a

ShurikVch
2014-01-02, 02:37 PM
However Half Golem is a LA- template (unavailable for PCs). Not exactly. It become "LA-" only if you fail Will save and turn mindless.
If you succeed save, you will not turn into construct, keep your Int and get Con bonus.
In this case, Half-Golem is LA +0... Sorta... You buy it like magic item

OldTrees1
2014-01-02, 02:39 PM
Not exactly. It become "LA-" only if you fail Will save and turn mindless.
If you succeed save, you will not turn into construct, keep your Int and get Con bonus.
In this case, Half-Golem is LA +0... Sorta... You buy it like magic item

Not exactly, read the update booklet. The entire template is LA-

Urpriest
2014-01-02, 02:59 PM
Not exactly, read the update booklet. The entire template is LA-

This. Like many templates and creatures, it's not available to PCs.

ShurikVch
2014-01-02, 03:40 PM
Not exactly, read the update booklet. The entire template is LA- Excuse me...

More Half-Golems! (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/MM2_HalfGolems.zip)
A Monster Manual II Web Enhancement was updated to 3.5?
Link, please!
No?
Then old stats still legal.
LA not mentioned = LA +0

Urpriest
2014-01-02, 03:44 PM
LA not mentioned = LA +0

Perhaps RAW, but inapplicable in practice. Under that setup, there are lots of Int - LA +0 creatures.

More relevantly, 3.0 content must be updated, according to the update rules. If you want to use 3.0 content, you have to change it to match the way other content was changed in the transition to 3.5, and one of those was giving Half-Golem LA -.

OldTrees1
2014-01-02, 03:48 PM
Excuse me...
was updated to 3.5?
Link, please!
No?
Then old stats still legal.
LA not mentioned = LA +0

Here is the link updating the template: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a

While it does not mention the web enhancement, the web enhancement uses the template's rules which it did in fact update. Therefore this link partially updates the web enhancement.

ShurikVch
2014-01-02, 03:51 PM
Perhaps RAW, but inapplicable in practice. Under that setup, there are lots of Int - LA +0 creatures. Hairy Spider :smallwink:

More relevantly, 3.0 content must be updated, according to the update rules. If you want to use 3.0 content, you have to change it to match the way other content was changed in the transition to 3.5, and one of those was giving Half-Golem LA -. Because they are mindless! :smallmad:

Urpriest
2014-01-02, 03:59 PM
Because they are mindless! :smallmad:

They also give a bunch of immunities. There's a reason Emerald Legion uses Half-Golem.

They're also silly in a 3.5 context, since grafts exist.

ShurikVch
2014-01-02, 04:14 PM
They also give a bunch of immunities. There's a reason Emerald Legion uses Half-Golem. What kind of immunities? :smallconfused:
They are not get any immunities which are part of "Construct traits" or derivate from "Con -"
EDIT: Ah, half-clay... Slashing/piercing and SR:yes... Not a big deal! Bites inflict all types of physical damage, so even common animals can kill him just fine. And for higher levels there are (su) attacks

They're also silly in a 3.5 context, since grafts exist. Oh rly? Say it to Dorn Graybrook :smallcool:
Also, isn't Fiend Folio a 3.0 ?

KillianHawkeye
2014-01-02, 05:02 PM
LA not mentioned = LA +0

This is utterly wrong.

You can't play a nonstandard race without knowing the level adjustment. "LA not mentioned" does not mean zero, it means "Error 404: Level Adjustement not found! Your character cannot load. If you made the character by hand, go back and make sure you didn't make any errors writing it."

ShurikVch
2014-01-02, 05:11 PM
This is utterly wrong.

You can't play a nonstandard race without knowing the level adjustment. "LA not mentioned" does not mean zero, it means "Error 404: Level Adjustement not found! Your character cannot load. If you made the character by hand, go back and make sure you didn't make any errors writing it."
But it's not a race, it's a template.
You can't play a race without LA, but all templates have line: "As base creature, except..."
If something not mentioned in the description, it stays the same.

Urpriest
2014-01-02, 06:17 PM
Oh rly? Say it to Dorn Graybrook :smallcool:
Also, isn't Fiend Folio a 3.0 ?

Yes, and it postdates MM2.

ShurikVch
2014-01-02, 06:19 PM
Yes, and it postdates MM2.
By one month

Toliudar
2014-01-02, 06:43 PM
But it's not a race, it's a template.
You can't play a race without LA, but all templates have line: "As base creature, except..."
If something not mentioned in the description, it stays the same.

Again, this is clearly not true. I believe that the Paragon Creature (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/paragonCreature.htm) template offers no LA, for example.

ShurikVch
2014-01-02, 06:54 PM
Again, this is clearly not true. I believe that the Paragon Creature (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/paragonCreature.htm) template offers no LA, for example.
You are wrong. It's LA +11

Urpriest
2014-01-02, 07:00 PM
You are wrong. It's LA +11

That's just an extrapolation. It also might have LA that varies with HD, or some other system.

ShurikVch
2014-01-02, 07:16 PM
That's just an extrapolation. It also might have LA that varies with HD, or some other system. Can you name me such templates?
AFAIK, the only template with variable LA is Multiheaded Creature, and LA for it depend on number of heads

bekeleven
2014-01-02, 07:33 PM
Can you name me such templates?
AFAIK, the only template with variable LA is Multiheaded Creature, and LA for it depend on number of heads

Mirage Mullah, Sandstorm p.177.

ShurikVch
2014-01-02, 07:39 PM
Mirage Mullah, Sandstorm p.177.
Yes, but still not by HD

CyberThread
2014-01-02, 07:56 PM
Do I really need to bring the hairy spider into this conversastino ?

Gemini476
2014-01-02, 08:26 PM
Of course you do.
Everyone must see the Hairy Spider and achieve enlightenment.
(That one actually has LA though. It's just the Int:- that's weird, but Skitterhaunt Sentry Ooze slightly fixes that. As well as Awaken Ooze, maybe.)

Invader
2014-01-02, 08:32 PM

No, it was brought up in like the 5th post already.

12owlbears
2014-01-02, 10:53 PM
ok so I'm a bit confused can I or can't I make a half-golem character.

Stux
2014-01-02, 10:58 PM

There doesn't seem to be a clear consensus, and even those who think you can take it can't agree on what the LA would be if any.

I think this is one to just ask your DM!

Gemini476
2014-01-02, 11:00 PM
Nope!
Not without houseruling, at least.

OldTrees1
2014-01-02, 11:01 PM

It explicitly has LA - in its personal 3.5 update booklet. So no, not if you play 3.5 with errata/updates.

However your DM has the final say on all material (even Humans).

Envyus
2014-01-03, 01:15 AM
I allowed a player that was a monk to become a half golem. He attached two extra arms to himself and became stupidly broken.

CIDE
2014-01-03, 04:36 AM
I will say the discussion of the LA is probably going in the wrong direction. The LA system is probably the single most broken part of the entire game (and in a bad way) going both too high and too low across the board. Even with stuff like LA:-- on monsters or races that really shouldn't be when compared to other playable races. Not to say anything about the Half-Golem specifically. I will say that even if you do allow it in play it's sure as hell not LA 0.

Also....Adding two arms and the half golem template to a monk broke your game, Envyus? How so?