PDA

View Full Version : Need help understanding persistent/DMM cost

MindSculptor
2014-01-02, 02:11 PM
So, I read a few forums and asked a few questions on how to build a decent cleric and I came across this Persistent/Divine Metamagic build which I'm using.

But I read that for each spell persisted I would use 7 turn attempts to persist it in it's own spell slot. I don't understand this explanation since persistent spell says that the spell takes up a spell slot 4 levels higher than the original spell.

Would that not mean that I would instead be using 5 turn attempts per spell to persist or am I missing something here? One attempt to activate Divine Metamagic and then 4 to bring down the level slots...

Also, at 3rd level, I have had a hard time finding what spells I should be persisting; they are all either touch spells or they are weak. I've only been persisting Spirit Weapon so that I can attack from afar and get an extra attack. I suppose that I could persist Bless on the group and maybe that's what I am suppose to do it just seems weak... I am a newb if you can't tell.

AMFV
2014-01-02, 02:14 PM
So, I read a few forums and asked a few questions on how to build a decent cleric and I came across this Persistent/Divine Metamagic build which I'm using.

But I read that for each spell persisted I would use 7 turn attempts to persist it in it's own spell slot. I don't understand this explanation since persistent spell says that the spell takes up a spell slot 4 levels higher than the original spell.

Would that not mean that I would instead be using 5 turn attempts per spell to persist or am I missing something here? One attempt to activate Divine Metamagic and then 4 to bring down the level slots...

Also, at 3rd level, I have had a hard time finding what spells I should be persisting; they are all either touch spells or they are weak. I've only been persisting Spirit Weapon so that I can attack from afar and get an extra attack. I suppose that I could persist Bless on the group and maybe that's what I am suppose to do it just seems weak... I am a newb if you can't tell.

Persistent spell is six higher than the original, so seven, one to activate and the six to burn away the cost.

Greenish
2014-01-02, 02:18 PM
You're using the 3.0 version of Persistent Spell. 3.5 sources (PGtF and CArc.) give it as +6.

Fouredged Sword
2014-01-02, 03:43 PM
You want to use it with personal range spells. Divine power is your best friend.

Here are some links to other good spells.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/righteousMight.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/freedomOfMovement.htm