PDA

View Full Version : Yarr! Pirates and Scalawags

jjpickar
2007-01-19, 08:07 PM
I know this is horribly geeky and there are already prestige classes that do it. But since the Ninja has a base class can someone make a Pirate base class?

It is encouraged that you also use this as an opportunity to speak (type) like a pirate.

clarkvalentine
2007-01-19, 08:50 PM
Rogue is about perfect if you stat a cutlass as a short sword.

TheOOB
2007-01-19, 09:10 PM
Pirate is a profession, not a class.

Swashbucklers and/or rogues are likely the best classes to be a pirate, both mechanically and flavor wise. Theres also the Dread Pirate PrC thats good for a captain.

Woot Spitum
2007-01-19, 09:22 PM
It's a class in "Fire Emblem."

NullAshton
2007-01-19, 09:25 PM
Yarr, none of you be talking in pirate speak! To the plank with ye landlubbers!

SDF
2007-01-19, 09:27 PM
Well it would probably be a more appropriate homebrew topic, but I don't see why there shouldn't be one.

Deathcow
2007-01-19, 10:01 PM
Fighter/rogues make good Pirates. Actually, if you want to deviate from the norm a little bit, wizards make pretty kickass pirates.
"Enemy ship to starboard"
*casts fireball* "Not any more!"
Although, wizards are good at everything. Why shouldn't they be good as pirates?

JaronK
2007-01-20, 12:22 AM
Well, have you looked at Complete Adventurer or Stormwrack? We've got the Scarlet Corsair, Legendary Captain, and the Dread Pirate... and for base classes, we've got the Rogue and the Swashbuckler.

What more do you need?

JaronK

Fizban
2007-01-20, 01:40 AM
Corsair (http://www.corporation.walagata.com/fax/wiki/index.php/Corsair), by Fax Celestis.

Amiria
2007-01-20, 01:53 AM
A base class that's tied to a specific environment (oceans and ships) wouldn't be a good idea. It would suck to be on a long quest in the desert or mountains where all your special class features are useless.

Prestige Classes on the other hand are good for this. If the DM allows a piracy PrC then ocean-themed plots are probably a big part of the campaign.

MightyMuenster
2007-01-20, 02:16 AM
I've found that a Ranger can actually fit the role of a Pirate pretty well, too. It all depends on the type of pirate you really want to play.

Behold_the_Void
2007-01-20, 04:43 AM
Pirate doesn't really need a class. Honestly, neither does Ninja but at least Ninja represents a much more specialized training than pirates, and with the ki-based abilities it was able to be made into something unique. Pirates are fighters or rangers or rogues or bards or swashbucklers or whatever. They just happen to also be people who like to board other ships and take their shinies.

And really, Swashbuckler is pretty much a pirate if you go by the picture.

oriong
2007-01-20, 05:04 AM
The problem is that while something like 'ninja' can encompass lots of abilities and such, 'pirate' does not. Pirate means someone who is good at fighting, seamanship, and theiving not necessarily in that order.

The seamanship is not worth much at all. it's too focused to be reasonably useful except in a sea based game where it might actually be abusively useful. The fighting and the theiving are both encompassed by the fighter and rogue classes and the two synergize with very little effort so there's no real need to create a core class to represent the fusion of the two.

Pirates make good prestige classes on the other hand because it's not tough to think of 10 levels worth of abilities, and some decent multiclass options (and prestige classes are all about specialization)

jjpickar
2007-01-20, 11:14 AM
The problem is that while something like 'ninja' can encompass lots of abilities and such, 'pirate' does not. Pirate means someone who is good at fighting, seamanship, and theiving not necessarily in that order.

The seamanship is not worth much at all. it's too focused to be reasonably useful except in a sea based game where it might actually be abusively useful. The fighting and the theiving are both encompassed by the fighter and rogue classes and the two synergize with very little effort so there's no real need to create a core class to represent the fusion of the two.

Pirates make good prestige classes on the other hand because it's not tough to think of 10 levels worth of abilities, and some decent multiclass options (and prestige classes are all about specialization)

My problem is that I'm making a setting where pirates feature HEAVILY and I need something to throw at the PCs that they can't meta-game. If I use a rogue then they'll just avoid flanking. I've already tried a ranger and it didn't go over too well. I was just hoping for something with new pirate style abilities. And said abilities that can be had at lower levels so prestige classes are out.

Dr. Weasel
2007-01-20, 11:48 AM
They'll only be able to do the sort of metagaming you're describing if you actually say the character is a rogue. In describing a character, swashbucklers, rangers, rogues, barbarians and dextrous fighters would be identical. Also, if the setting is pirate-heavy, setting the characters against opponents that all share the same class would be pretty incredibly boring so having different classes of "pirate" would probably be more fun for everyone involved

Ikkitosen
2007-01-20, 12:07 PM
A feat rogue would make a good pirate.

jjpickar
2007-01-20, 01:18 PM
Arrr Dr. Weasel ye probably be right. But perhaps those classes can be provided with specific pirate feats, like Ikkitosen suggests. Here's my idea:

Rope Swing Attack [general]
You can attack creatures in mid swing.

Benefit: Works like spring attack but only when movement is made via swinging on a rope.

Special: A fighter may select Rope Swing Attack as one of his fighter bonus feats

Arrrgh! Now all ye non pirate speakers provide me with more pirate feats and start talking like pirates!

oriong
2007-01-20, 05:19 PM
You could also make new 'pirate' abilities for rogues that they could pick in place of tings like crippling strike, etc.

bosssmiley
2007-01-20, 05:29 PM
Needs more Alchemical Item: Monkey Island Grog. :smallbiggrin:

Completely agree with Dr Weasel on the metagaming thing. There's no way a PC should be able to determine character class on a pirate ship by looking at the person. That dude in the Errol Flynn costume carrying a shortsword: could be a bard, a rogue, a dex-fighter, a ranger, a swashbuckler, a sorcerer, a gish, etc, etc. Only semi-certain way to find out is to see what he tries to hit you with.

Pirates - from whatever walk of life and whatever their skillset - wore the costumes they did for functional reasons. Most sensible people will follow their lead and play merry hob with any lazy kit-oriented preconceptions. :smallwink:

Dragon #318 has lots of good stuff for pirates, including ideas on using any class at sea, suggested classes for historical pirates, pirate-specific magic items and grAAAAAAAArfts.

jjpickar
2007-01-20, 05:54 PM
:smallconfused: Monkey Island Grog? I don't know what it is but it sounds pretty cool:smallbiggrin: .

NEO|Phyte
2007-01-20, 07:01 PM
:smallconfused: Monkey Island Grog? I don't know what it is but it sounds pretty cool:smallbiggrin: .

Oh, it is (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_Island_things#Grog).

clarkvalentine
2007-01-20, 07:35 PM
Arrrgh! Now all ye non pirate speakers provide me with more pirate feats and start talking like pirates!

I ran a pirate D&D campaign for about two years. Don't make them take feats to do that sort of thing - just let them do it. My game worked because I let the PCs get away with all sorts of cinematic stunts - just have them make balance checks, reflex saves, and that sort of thing, then make failure as much action-movie-fun as success.

This is, of course, assuming that you want to have a cinematic game (which most pirate/swashbuckling settings tend to be).

Geneticist
2007-01-20, 07:48 PM
Depending on what kind of pirate you want to create, a barbarian might not be bad. I mean, let's look at it.

Pirates were generally not the brightest bunch
Barbarians tend to have low int, and are unable to read/write
pirates of the norse variety were definitely one of the inspirations of the berserker idea

I personally think that it would be cool to be defending against a boarding action with your stylized swishy rapier-type sword, and then suddenly find yourself confronted by 6'3" of muscular pirate berserker goodness.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-20, 07:56 PM
Pirates be rogues over water, matey. Be ye a rogue, get ye a ship an' crew, and set sail fer treasure! Arrgh!

clarkvalentine
2007-01-20, 08:06 PM
Depending on what kind of pirate you want to create, a barbarian might not be bad.

Barbarians rock as pirates. One of the most memorable PCs from our Carribean pirate campaign was a huge Moroccan barbarian with a falchion. Two-handed power attack against largely unarmored foes. He was a terror.

Plus, it was great watching him roleplay his Muslim pirate try to resist engaging in the drinking and carousing his shipmates indulged in. :smallbiggrin:

Amphimir Míriel
2007-01-20, 09:21 PM
Pirates of the norse variety were definitely one of the inspirations of the berserker idea

I personally think that it would be cool to be defending against a boarding action with your stylized swishy rapier-type sword, and then suddenly find yourself confronted by 6'3" of muscular pirate berserker goodness.

I can totally imagine a longship full of barbarians (viking raiders), with their Bard (skald) leader singing at the prow:

Aaaaaaaaah, ah!! Aaaaaaaaah, ah!!
We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
The hammer of the gods
Will drive our ships to new lands,
To fight the horde, singing and crying:
Valhalla, I am coming!

Is that a Inspire Greatness & Inspire Courage +4 or what?!!