PDA

View Full Version : World map making

Blacksky
2014-01-02, 06:34 PM
0k, I wasn't sure where to post this but basically I am looking for a very cheap or free cartography program (something like City Designer 3) to design a world for a book and was wondering if the RPG crowd might be able to help me since you guys must use this kind of thing all the time. I have Photoshop already but I really don't want to spend months drawing a city by hand when all I really want is a personal reference that I can send to a publisher later on to be redrawn professionally. As long as you can basically lay out a city and country side and import custom buildings (and it isn't made up of tiles or squares) I am happy.

Does anyone have any suggestions? :smallsmile:

sumkidy
2014-02-03, 10:40 AM
Campaign Cartogropher 3 and Dundjinni are 2 of the most liked ones. I'd check further on the cartogrophers' guild website, they have lots of suggestions.

Cealocanth
2014-02-03, 07:19 PM
I second the CC3 recommendation. Anything else I have tried doesn't allow for as much potential. It's a bit expensive, but it's a one time purchase, unlike many programs out there nowadays.

Alias
2014-02-03, 07:58 PM
I want to figure out how to get custom map data into this...

http://www.outerra.com

ShadowySilence
2014-03-11, 01:08 AM
I third CC3, they even have a tutorial on their website which makes starting up with it very easy! :smallsmile: