PDA

View Full Version : Spacebase DF-9 - I just realized it's a pun on DS9 and Dwarf Fortress

Cikomyr
2014-01-02, 09:43 PM
Hi there, anybody is playing that game still in Alpha? The basic idea is pretty simple: you are sent to recliam a part of space by building a space station, and trying to have a somewhat viable and self-sustaining piece of real estate. Apparently, the game also features abandonned space hulks that you can explore to gain.. stuff. No idea what exactly.

My first game ended up with all of my astronauts dying of asphyxia because I asked them to build too big a first room.

The second game ended because of some rotten luck; a parasite bursted from one of my immigrants and killed all of my spacebasers one by one.

My third game is going pretty strong so far! I have been going strong, fighting off raiders pretty successfully and none of my colonists have felt so depressed he wanted to eat the barrel of a phazor. I have diversified my Life Support rooms so no asteroid rain can destroy a single room.

I am just wondering how I can start doing the "fun" stuff of exploring the space hulks? Can I build anything more than the rooms I start off with? Beside the totally useless reactor room, I have residences, pubs, gardens, fitness rooms, life support, refineries and airlocks. What else is there to build?

Grinner
2014-01-02, 10:06 PM
I have the prototype of this game. I squealed a little on the inside when I saw that Doublefine had decided to develop it. Alas, financial circumstances deem it unwise to purchase the alpha. (Isn't that always the case? :smallsigh:)

Anyway, to get to the space hulks, don't you just build a corridor out to them and then destroy the hull?

Hiro Protagonest
2014-01-02, 10:13 PM
Well, for my murderous frontier civ sim that's in alpha, I'm currently working my way through Dwarf Fortress (next step: learn how to make carpenter's workshop), so I might pick this up when it gets into at least beta.

Gnoman
2014-01-02, 11:46 PM
Well, for my murderous frontier civ sim that's in alpha, I'm currently working my way through Dwarf Fortress (next step: learn how to make carpenter's workshop), so I might pick this up when it gets into at least beta.

b-w-c gets you a carpenter's shop, if you have a dwarf with the Carpentry skill enabled.