PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Pounce, Pounce Pounce, and my dirty little fetishes

GhengisConrad
2014-01-02, 11:46 PM
Alright. So. I spent a lot of time building shadowpounce builds... I hated feeling hamstrung by the requirements and/or levels needed to be sunk in.

Now I'm building battlejump pounce attacks with flight... I'm actually reasonabley happy. But the idea that there is a group of people who don't interpret Battle Jump the same way I do... makes me feel... dirty inside...

What I like, is the idea of being all "BOOM! FULL ATTACK" with a brazilian different attacks and natural weapons and nifty abilities (which are baked in).

Is there anything else which will grant me such awesomeness? Any... other optional abilities and or powers that may simulate and or grant what I'm looking for?

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-02, 11:53 PM
Have you tried out the Mage's Full Attack?

GhengisConrad
2014-01-03, 12:00 AM
http://bit.ly/JN6ZIn

no, what is that?

http://bit.ly/JN6ZIn

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-03, 12:05 AM
You chain all you spells into arcane fusions containing celeritys containing metamagic reduced twined force orbs. Pew pew!

Mailmaning is basically like a Mage version of a shadow pouncer doing several full attacks in one round.

Nettlekid
2014-01-03, 12:08 AM
You chain all you spells into arcane fusions containing celebrities containing metamagic reduced twined force orbs. Pew pew!

Mailmaning is basically like a Mage version of a shadow pouncer doing several full attacks in one round.

Celebrities??
I've heard similar but cheesier where you use Sanctum Spell Arcane Fusion to make Arcane Fusion count as a 4th level spell, and then stick it into an Arcane Fusion. Do the recursively and you can use an arbitrarily high number of 1st level spells in a single standard action. Works better by doing the same thing to Greater Arcane Fusion to get an arbitrarily high number of 4th level spells.

GhengisConrad
2014-01-03, 12:10 AM
You chain all you spells into arcane fusions containing celeritys containing metamagic reduced twined force orbs. Pew pew!

Y'all got Sauces?

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-03, 12:12 AM
Hehe I'm posting on my phone and sometimes it gives me fun autocorrections.

But yeah putting celerity into the top half of arcane fusion and a super metamagic reduced orb spell in the lower half. Repeat until you run out of spell slots or until you've amassed a satisfying number or hadoukens to shoot out.

Edit: sauces?

Kennisiou
2014-01-03, 12:13 AM
Wildshape ranger/momf is a nice way to full attack with tons of attacks. Totemist as well. Both tend to pounce, but don't always.

You could also always try out a gish/divine gish build. DMM Cleric with travel devotion full attacks super well, as does DMM Chameleon with travel devotion (although they have to actually burn a feat on it, usually, since it's generally better for them to take planning and undeath domains for their free bonus feats).

Also, the mailman:

http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1765181

On the subject of the mailman - I've never played a sorceror and I'm sure something in the post would clarify if I knew more about Sorc feats/acfs, but spontaneous casting with metamagic is a full round action or longer by RAW. How does the mailman get around this?

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-03, 12:14 AM
Edit : ninja vanish!

Sorry about that.

GhengisConrad
2014-01-03, 12:16 AM
about what? Surely nothing I would give a f*** about, because I don't believe in *n*e*l*c*u*l *r*p*r*y.

But what I *DO* believe in, is not getting banned from this FABULOUS site.

Kennisiou
2014-01-03, 12:24 AM
Hahaha, I also just noticed that he says he uses the fast metamagic ACF in exchange for his familiar instead of using the rapid metamagic feat.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-03, 12:28 AM
I fear I have tangled this thread into oblivion!

Aliek
2014-01-03, 12:33 AM
There's an ACF on the PHB2 I believe, where you trade your familiar for faster spontaneous metamagic, but limited in use IIRC.

But what really shines is Arcane Spellsurge.

It forces your spells to become 1 'step' faster, up until swift actions. Thus, standard action spells become swift actions, and full-round spells become standard. Thing is, it isn't optional. They just get faster. And you still only have one swift action per round.

Sorcerers however, can just cast a spell as a swift action, then a metamagic'd one as a standard. In one buff, the action economy just exploded.

There are overall stronger stuff around, with spell matrix and such, but that's just simple, elegant, deadly.

Edit: Just remembered, if you want 'pounce, but different', there's this pounce from Magic of Incarnum that only works with natural weapons. It's the chakra bind from the Sphinx Claws.

Might not be what you're looking for, tough. Battle jump's uncapped full attacks per round seems a bit broken at the very least.

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-03, 12:34 AM
I once asked for a raptoran build and got a very interesting answer which quickly turned into something pretty nifty.

Raptoran Monk of DOOM

(start chaotic/neutral neutral, change into lawful neutral, then go back to chaotic neutral.. or take fighter levels, or have your DM waive monk reqs, or take chaotic monk.. meh). (if your DM doesnt apply multiclass penalties, go Barb 3/Monk 2/Ranger 1 for the trapsmashing epic win ACF, keep survival maxed either way. gotta add some flavour lol)

Barbarian 2/Monk 2/Ranger 1/Fighter 1/Stormtalon 7/Black Blood Cultist 7

Barbarian get swhirling Frenzy variant.

this arent any cheesy martial monk feats, just some feats it would get at a later level. Sadly the dm will probably throw a book at you, but at least not a 50 kg encyclopedia.

Feats
1 Power Attack
1 Extra Rage
1 Two-Weapon fighting (Get gloves that grant Improved TWF)
3 Reckless Rage
3 Monk autofeat - Improved Unarmed Strike
3 Monk Feat - Versatile Unarmed Strike
4 Monk Feat - Snap Kick
5 Track (Ranger)
6 -Floating Feat... Idk... - Combat Reflexes?
6 Fighter Feat - Improved bullrush
8 Stormtalon Feat - Multiattack
9 Shocktrooper
10 Stormtalon Feat - Improved flight
12 Greater Two-weapon Fighting
12 Stormtalon Feat - Flyby Attack
15 -Dunno- Robilar's gambit?
18 -Dunno...-

Now. to this build you add templates/grafts/etc to add more attacks. but just using the Base, at lvl 20 you would have...

17 BaB. 2 talon attacks from Stormtalon, 2 Claw and 1 bite attack from BBC, 2 extra attacks from flurry and snap kick, and 1 attack from whirling frenzy.

17 BaB = 4 attacks

4 + 3 extra (Snap, flur, frenzy) + 3 from TWF + 5 Natural attacks (your 4 limbs and your mouth)

for 15 Attacks on a full attack (and you can fly (ex) and have pounce)

Now add in grafted tentacles and other strange shenanigans... for even more attacks... preferably piercing ones.

Dont forget to Dive for x2 to dmg from shocktroopered power attack + normal dmg from all those attacks. (Make all your attacks piercieng via versatile unarmed strike).

Kennisiou
2014-01-03, 12:39 AM
To get it back on target:

Basically, if you really like full attacking with lots of attacks, there's generally only two ways to do this under RAW: pounce and swift movement.

Swift movement is available from several sources (maneuvers and travel devotion being the most common, with several magic items backing this up), while pounce is generally only available in two ways (barbarian dip or wildshaping into something with pounce).

From there it's a question of why you want to full attack. Piling on extra attacks is a good start. Whilring Frenzy variant barbarians, Sohei's Ki Frenzy (here listed above monk's flurry of blows because they don't stack and frankly Sohei's better at flurrying than monk), gaining natural attacks (wildshape, soulmelds, and iirc mantles are all good for this) and two weapon fighting are the main means of achieving this. And yeah, you could totally make a build that does all of these things. After that it's a question of how to make the extra attacks matter. Pounce builds can leapcharge power attack, but if you use another means of full attacking you generally need other sources of damage. Bonus damage dice, additional stats to damage, and on-hit effects like poison are your best bets here.

While I figure you already know this, I also figure you probably haven't really explored all of these options (I mean, for real... Sohei).

Snowbluff
2014-01-03, 12:52 AM
So I've been working on a new Teleportron.

Duskblade13/Totemist2/CrintiShadowMarauder5

Notable Feats:
Dimensional Jaunt (At Will teleport)
Twin Spell (For Stand and Vampiric Touch)
Arcane Thesis
Invisible Spell
Practical Metamagic (Twin Spell)
Practiced Spellcaster
Residual MM (For Twin spells)
TWF

Notable Abilities:
Blink Shirt (Move Action D Door)
Full Attack action Channel Spell
Shadow Pounce
Optional Claws and Tail from soulmelds if Dragonblood.

TWF some poison rings from the Dragon Compendium (Touch attack weapons), and grab Gloves of the Balance Hand. Teleport as Standard, twice as Immediate/Swift, and then as a move action. 4 x 6 = 24 attacks. Each Attack deals 1 + some Str + 4 (Greater Magic Weapon) + 56 (8d6 x2 Twin Vampiric Touch). I don't have the full build in front of me, but I think you can finagle the Thesis for a cost free Empower Spell. Of course, the rings can each have their own enhancements, and you can add some extra bonuses like collision.

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-03, 12:54 AM
How are you simultaneously a monk and a barbarian?

I said, start True Neutral, go into lawful, then go chaotic once you get your 2 monk lvls.

Ex-monks that change alignment retain all characteristics they had when they were lawful.

Heck, you can start as TN, move to LN theres various ways, including starting Chaotic neutral and using a alignment changing helmet for example... take it off once finished with 2 lvls of monk.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-03, 12:56 AM
Snowbluff, that is really cool. Now I want to build a guy who rides his phantom steed through D. Doors and shadow pounces with a lance into people while channeling vampiric touch

I said, start True Neutral, go into lawful, then go chaotic once you get your 2 monk lvls.

Ex-monks that change alignment retain all characteristics they had when they were lawful.

Heck, you can start as TN, move to LN theres various ways, including starting Chaotic neutral and using a alignment changing helmet for example... take it off once finished with 2 lvls of monk.

Yeah I just saw that. My bad.

Aliek
2014-01-03, 07:01 AM
I've been thinking, how about a Black Blood Cultist?

Its level 8 ability is basically full attacking with all your natural weapons on a successful grapple check. Pretty easy to qualify too!