PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder: SoulKnife question.

Kin Silvion
2014-01-03, 02:54 AM
I have a quick question about a potential build for Pathfinder.

This is mostly a low-mid power campaign, with medium character progression, so I decided that the most efficient way to go about getting a decent amount of gold worth of items would be to make a Soulknife.

Now, I know Sk is Tier 4 or so, but since this isn't going to be world breaking in terms of plot I decided that a Soulknife would be both fun and refreshing.

So my character right now is...

Sion, Level 1 Human Soulknife (Armored Blade)

Str 20
Dex 17
Con 13
Int 15
Wis 13
Cha 16

My feats currently are

Power Attack
Wild Talent
Fortified Armor Training (Cancel crits for a move action the next round? Yes please)
Dodge

My plan is to pick up Mobility and Spring attack as well as Unlocked Talent to give me access to a First level Power for the Elocator PrC.

In the end it will be Soulknife 7/Elocator 2/Soulknife 11

My question is, do you guys think that's worth it? I'm going to be two handing the Mind blade, with Power attack and such. Should I just forgo the Elocator class, or look into another PrC?

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-03, 03:10 AM
Well the pathfinder soulknife is remarkably better than the 3.5 version. But are you really sure you want to have a psionic character named Scion?

That's like having a spellcaster name Sorcero Wizardberg.

Kin Silvion
2014-01-03, 03:14 AM
Actually it's pronounced She-on, not Scion. Though I can't say I didn't see the resemblance when I wrote the name.

That being said, I definitely have to name my next spellcaster Sorcero Wizardberg.

Thalnawr
2014-01-03, 03:19 AM
Enhanced Talent
Where can this ability/feat/blade skill be found? I've searched the PFSRD as well as my copy of Ultimate Psionics, and neither contain this particular term.

As far as the build, it'll be reasonably effective, however you may want to consider if you want Psychic Strike, or to take the Gifted Blade archetype (which is stackable with Armored Blade), instead, and gain a power progression.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-03, 03:21 AM
I would drop the Elocator levels. That prestige class is incredibly cool but not quite worth what you're losing. Spring attacking tends to be less useful when you're a tough class like the PF soulknife.

Take a look at the archetype that gives you actual manifesting. I think it's only up to 4th level powers but powers like hustle and psionic lions charge can let you full attack AND pull out of combat better than spring attack would.

Edit: soulknifed on the gifted blade advice.

Kin Silvion
2014-01-03, 03:28 AM
Where can this ability/feat/blade skill be found? I've searched the PFSRD as well as my copy of Ultimate Psionics, and neither contain this particular term.

As far as the build, it'll be reasonably effective, however you may want to consider if you want Psychic Strike, or to take the Gifted Blade archetype (which is stackable with Armored Blade), instead, and gain a power progression.

Sorry, the ability was Unlocked not Enhanced. My bad. I'll edit the OP.

And the idea behind the Elocator was that I only really drop 1 bonus from the Soulknife for a ton of Class abilities that make any kind of movement easier. A main reason behind this idea was because I know we'll be in an ice related campaign, so acrobatics will be something required.

As well, a reason behind not taking the Gifted Blade Archetype was because of missing out on the Psychic Strike bonus damage for more utility. I'm mostly going to be the group's fighter, so the damage would be more useful to my character than the utility.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-03, 03:33 AM
Psychic strikes damage is gonna pale compared to was you can generate with full attacks, especially when combined with psionic lion charge and offensive prescience.

Kin Silvion
2014-01-03, 03:41 AM
It might late-game, but even if you look at the first 5 or so levels, charging it with a swift action for expending Psychic Focus, as well as the Blade Skill that recharges it on a critical hit makes it really strong if I go with a Crit-Fishing feat tree. If not, still, it offers a decent amount of bonus damage that would be useful to the party.

I might just be staying away from the Powers because I'm also playing a Summoner in a different campaign, and I have to do a lot of micromanaging with my Eidolon and my own character.

Thalnawr
2014-01-03, 03:44 AM
As well, a reason behind not taking the Gifted Blade Archetype was because of missing out on the Psychic Strike bonus damage for more utility. I'm mostly going to be the group's fighter, so the damage would be more useful to my character than the utility.
To be honest, on a 2hander build, I'm not sure that Psychic Strike will add all that much in the way of extra damage. It consumes your move action to recharge (at least till you hit 10th level Soulknife and can get Reaper's Blade). I guess you could swift action charge it by expending focus, however that still eats up a full-round or move action next turn if you want to have it available again.

On the other hand, with Gifted Blade, you can pick up Expansion, Lion's Charge, Inevitable Strike, and all sorts of accuracy/damage/defensive boosts to make yourself a better overall fighter.

Kin Silvion
2014-01-03, 03:48 AM
Hmm... I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Though I'm also partially unsure if I would be allowed. The DM is a bit uncomfortable with Psionic classes on a whole, and I figured a Sk would be a good way to introduce the idea to them in a controlled way.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-03, 03:49 AM
You gotta build your character in what ever way is going to be most fun for you to play but you asked for our advice and this is it: learn some psychic powers. It will seriously increase not only your damage but will free up loads of your actions in combat and might even give your character versatility outside of stabbing people.

Gifted blades really don't learn that many powers and they cast spontaneously. It should be a cake walk to manage it.

Kin Silvion
2014-01-03, 03:51 AM
You're right. Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely keep what you guys said in mind, and look into it.

Thank you, good sirs! :smallbiggrin:

Thalnawr
2014-01-03, 04:01 AM
You're right. Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely keep what you guys said in mind, and look into it.

No problem.

One thing to note. You can get a truly terrifying 2-hander crit fisher build going, by taking Emulate Melee Weapon [some 18-20 2hander], making it Keen, and taking Deadly Blow at 10th. Take whatever other appropriate feats you see fit and add Expansion on top of that, and you're really laying down the hurt...

Kin Silvion
2014-01-03, 04:06 AM
That would only be scarier if you could somehow make a Scythe or other x4 crit weapon at 19-20.

Imagine a Scythe crit for 5x damage. Throw in Power Attack, Bull's Strength, and Enlarge Person. Now THAT would be one of the most terrifying things I've seen in awhile.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-03, 04:06 AM

No problem. I hope your character turns out awesome. I'm glad to hear people are using Dreamscarred press' psionic stuff. It's really good and they essentially adopted the soulknife and raised him to be happy and well adjusted.

Thalnawr
2014-01-03, 04:13 AM
Falcata could be interesting with that, as well. 17-20 range and x4 modifier, and can be used with one or two hands for versatility and possible shield use.

Psyren
2014-01-03, 09:19 AM
Your build is kind of all over the place. You want to two-hand, which suggests a strength build and heavy armor, but your Dex score and Elocater say you want a quick mobile build with light armor. You have very good stats - can you reassign them at all?

Psychic Strike is for TWF or SaB builds. If Gifted Blade is an option for your 2-hander, I suggest you take it, much better damage in the long run.

Person_Man
2014-01-03, 09:51 AM
My question is, do you guys think that's worth it? I'm going to be two handing the Mind blade, with Power attack and such. Should I just forgo the Elocator class, or look into another PrC?

My opinion is no. While the PF versions are superior to the 3.5 versions, there's really nothing "there" that makes either worth playing. Dodge->Mobility->Spring Attack is particularly bad, especially at high levels.

Having said that, there are many many homebrew solutions that you might want to consider (including my own). Or you could just play a strait Magus or Paladin with the right Archetypes, and get superior mechanics with a very similar feel.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-03, 11:09 AM
My opinion is no. While the PF versions are superior to the 3.5 versions, there's really nothing "there" that makes either worth playing. Dodge->Mobility->Spring Attack is particularly bad, especially at high levels.

Having said that, there are many many homebrew solutions that you might want to consider (including my own). Or you could just play a strait Magus or Paladin with the right Archetypes, and get superior mechanics with a very similar feel.

There's the blade skill that lets you sub wis for str for attack and damage. That plus manifesting off of wis is a huge leap towards SADness.

Throw in a monks belt, the inertia armor power and the shield blade skill and your ac is gonna put paladins and magi to shame.

Not to say that this makes them better than either class. Just that use can be derived from it.

Edit: wow, no monks belt in pathfinder and the monks robe is a huge pile of garbage.

stack
2014-01-03, 11:22 AM
I don't think PF has a monk's belt, so you would have to be using some 3.5 stuff. The pathfinder monk's robe explicitly doesn't grant WIS to AC. Dipping monk and stacking it with focused defense will give you amazing AC, however.