PDA

View Full Version : Feral Dragonmarked House

GhengisConrad
2014-01-03, 10:59 AM
Would it be kosher and RAW for a memeber of the house of House Orien to fall deep into their own tribe, perhaps lost in the wilderness, and become 'feral' humanoids, but still bare (bear?) the mark of passage?

OldTrees1
2014-01-03, 11:38 AM
Yes. Those marks are tied to lineage.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-03, 11:43 AM
Yes. Those marks are tied to lineage.

They are and they aren't. If a human is dragonmarked and has a half-elf kid I don't think that kid is eligible to manifest the human fathers dragonmarked.

OldTrees1
2014-01-03, 11:57 AM
They are and they aren't. If a human is dragonmarked and has a half-elf kid I don't think that kid is eligible to manifest the human fathers dragonmarked.

I would be so much easier if the Campaign Setting told the DMs what the answer to the mystery was.

It could be recessive
It could be inherited only if both parents had one
It could be random

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-03, 12:10 PM
DMs need to be creative. Eberron was built to allow them to answer these questions in whatever way worked best for their campaign.

That said, I really think you should ask you're DM whether feral disqualifies you for a dragonmark in his or her game.

GhengisConrad
2014-01-03, 03:09 PM

do you have sauces? id love them.

my table is kinda persnikety. but you can do a lot with the flimsyist of RAW.

Greenish
2014-01-03, 03:39 PM
I would be so much easier if the Campaign Setting told the DMs what the answer to the mystery was.

It could be recessive
It could be inherited only if both parents had one
It could be randomDragonmarks are tied to the draconic prophesy. It's magic, not genetics.

Dragonmarks can only be inherited by a member of the relevant PHB race who is of the relevant bloodline. Only marks of Finding (humans and half-orcs) and Death (elves and half-dragon elves) can cross between races, and even then, it's only happened with the aforementioned races.

So if your parents are a human and an elf, you won't be manifesting any true dragonmark.

do you have sauces? id love them.PGtE pg. 46-47. The sidebar on subraces on page 47 may or may not be relevant to inherited templates.

OldTrees1
2014-01-03, 04:52 PM
Dragonmarks are tied to the draconic prophesy. It's magic, not genetics.

Tied to draconic prophesy? Yes
Magic? Probably
Not genetics? Answering that would require you to know the prophesy. However since dragonmarks appear in groups that are linked (by blood, race and family) it is possible that the lineage/genetics were part of the prophecy.

Invader
2014-01-03, 08:02 PM
Dragon magazine allowed for someone with a dragon mark to be reincarnated as another race and still retain the mark. All problems solved... :smallbiggrin:

Greenish
2014-01-03, 08:28 PM
Not genetics? Answering that would require you to know the prophesy. However since dragonmarks appear in groups that are linked (by blood, race and family) it is possible that the lineage/genetics were part of the prophecy.So Cataclysm Mages learn to change their DNA daily?

It's established that bloodlines can hold magical power in D&D. There is no reason to speculate on genetics, let alone trying to decide whether dragonmarks are recessive (as if that'd be controlled by a single allele). Occam's +1 Keen Razor.

GhengisConrad
2014-01-03, 08:55 PM
Dragon magazine allowed for someone with a dragon mark to be reincarnated as another race and still retain the mark. All problems solved... :smallbiggrin:

sauce on that?

Greenish
2014-01-03, 08:57 PM
sauce on that?There's this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20051024a) article on the website, but I don't think it's technically RAW, even if it happens to be written by the guy who created Eberron. :smalltongue:

GhengisConrad
2014-01-03, 09:02 PM
There's this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20051024a) article on the website, but I don't think it's technically RAW, even if it happens to be written by the guy who created Eberron. :smalltongue:

Yeah, that's cool stuff. I was afraid that's what was being referred to. Its neat, but not acceptable for my table's builds, because you are counting on a second party (the reincarnating druid) to take care of you.

Marnath
2014-01-03, 09:18 PM
So Cataclysm Mages learn to change their DNA daily?

It's established that bloodlines can hold magical power in D&D. There is no reason to speculate on genetics, let alone trying to decide whether dragonmarks are recessive (as if that'd be controlled by a single allele). Occam's +1 Keen Razor.

There is no reason to speculate, true. But that's because of the introduction to the Heir of Siberys which states: "Siberys marks are clearly related-visually, thematically, and genetically-to the other marks in their house."