PDA

View Full Version : Wands and Alternate Spell Lists

zabbarot
2014-01-03, 01:19 PM
So I was going through some older threads about wands and saw someone specifically mention making a wand out of a spell that is 4th level for paladins but 5th for clerics. That got me thinking, what sort of good spells could you get on wands going through the more unusual spell lists?

For example, Trapsmith gets Greater Dispel Magic as a 3rd level spell, which by RAW means a Trapsmith Artificer could put it on a wand right?

If that works, what other unusual wands can we come up with?

Thayan Slayer gets Greater Command as a 3rd level and Sequester at 4th for example.

Captnq
2014-01-03, 02:03 PM
The problem is the sheer SIZE of the project. For example:

Go to my sig, get the EVD.
Go to Spells.
Go to The spell book v4.05

Search ^p^pCure Light Wounds

Level: Adept 1, Apostle of Peace 1, Bard 1, Beloved of Valarian 1, Blackguard 1, Bone Collector (3.0) 1, Champion of Gwynharwyf 1, Cleric 1, Druid 1, Emissary of Barachiel 1, Healer 1, Healing Domain 1, Hunter of the Dead 1, Kitsu School 1, Knight of the Middle Circle 1, Knight of the Weave 1, Merchant Prince 2, Nentyar Hunter 1, Order of the Gentle Rain 1, Paladin 1, Paladin of Slaughter 2, Paladin of Tyranny 2, Ranger 2, Shaman 1, Shugenja 1, Soldier of Light (3.0) 1, Urban Adept 1

See? It's 1402 PAGES. This is ONE spell.

Although my Spellbook is complete. It has every spell list cross refferenced, so, feel free to make a list. PM me is you ever finish. Nobody else who started this project ever did.

zabbarot
2014-01-03, 02:22 PM
How about we work it from the other end. Instead of starting with the spell list start with the classes and work that way.

Most of these spells will come from the spell lists of prestige classes that have their own casting and unique spell list. Doing a quick filter there are ~400* classes that either grant spellcasting or advance a previous class. Still need to narrow it down, but that's already sounding easier to get through.

*Only using 3.5 sources and haven't filtered duplicates yet.

Edit: Spells is a default part of the page apparently, so 400 is about all of the prestige classes I guess. That helps I guess.

Edit 2: Refined my search. 222 items returned that grant or advance spell casting.

zabbarot
2014-01-03, 03:06 PM
So far these are all the classes that I can find which have their own separate spell progression and spell lists. I am fairly certain that it is incomplete, so if anyone can think of one to add it would be appreciated.

Apostle of Peace
Assassin
Beloved of Valarian
Blackguard
Champion of Gwynharwyf
Court Herald
Cultist of the Shattered Peak
Death Delver
Disciple of Thrym
Emissary of Barachiel
Fatemaker
Hoardstealer
Holy Liberator
Hunter of the dead
Justice of Weald and Woe
Knight of the Chalice
Knight of the Weave
Merchant Prince
Prime Underdark Guide
Shade Hunter
Slayer of Domiel
Sublime Chord
Suel Arcanamach
Trapsmith
Vadalis Beast Keeper
Vassal of Bahamut
Vigilante

Gemini476
2014-01-03, 03:24 PM
So far these are all the classes that I can find which have their own separate spell progression and spell lists. I am fairly certain that it is incomplete, so if anyone can think of one to add it would be appreciated.

Apostle of Peace
Assassin
Beloved of Valarian
Blackguard
Champion of Gwynharwyf
Court Herald
Cultist of the Shattered Peak
Death Delver
Disciple of Thrym
Emissary of Barachiel
Fatemaker
Hoardstealer
Holy Liberator
Hunter of the dead
Justice of Weald and Woe
Knight of the Chalice
Knight of the Weave
Merchant Prince
Prime Underdark Guide
Shade Hunter
Slayer of Domiel
Sublime Chord
Suel Arcanamach
Trapsmith
Vadalis Beast Keeper
Vassal of Bahamut
Vigilante

You should take a look at some of the base classes as well. Healer gets some good healing spells levels before anyone else, for instance.

Oh, and while Ur-Priest gets spells at the same levels as the Cleric, he also has less CL and makes 'em cheaper.

Actually, isn't there a guide somewhere for Artificers to find the lowest version of spells? I distinctly remember one.

Delorien
2015-01-24, 08:20 AM
Actually, isn't there a guide somewhere for Artificers to find the lowest version of spells? I distinctly remember one.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12661.0

ace rooster
2015-01-24, 08:47 AM
One of my favorites and worth remembering is the BoVD demonologist. They can make wands of planar binding and greater curse! Cheap magic circles are also very nice. It is also not too much of a stretch to believe that a demonologist would take craft wand, as wizard 5 entry is pretty standard, so it does not even need artificer tricks or strange NPC builds to exist (what paladin takes craft wand?).

They are very useful NPCs for a DM, as being able to drop a cl5 lesser planar binding scroll can give the PCs some help if a PC has died unexpectedly early with no easy means to introduce another character ("Instead of sitting around for the next 3 hours, you are playing a Quasit." DM fiat the scroll to already have the demon's name on it).

Chambers
2015-01-25, 09:55 AM
Mod of the Broken Pattern: Thread Closed. Please don't raise dead threads back to unlife.