PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Theurge build

Gamereaper
2014-01-03, 01:23 PM
I was going through trying to find effective ways to mix Battle Sorcerer and Warlock.

I was thinking of mixing Enervation and Utterdark Blast, but I found out that I will need metamagic to increase the spell level of Enervation.

How does metamagic work for Sorcerers?

Asrrin
2014-01-03, 01:47 PM
I was going through trying to find effective ways to mix Battle Sorcerer and Warlock.

I was thinking of mixing Enervation and Utterdark Blast, but I found out that I will need metamagic to increase the spell level of Enervation.

How does metamagic work for Sorcerers?

Applying metamagic to a sorcerer's spontaneous spell casting causes it to take more time to cast. Standard > full round typically. There is a sorcerer ACF that lets you use Rapid Metamagic Int +3 times per day, and there is also a feat that lets you do the same.

Psyren
2014-01-03, 01:56 PM
It also raises the spell level. So you will need a higher-level spell "slot" available to use a Heightened Enervation. There are ways to reduce this too, like Easy Metamagic and Arcane Thesis.

(Eww, Battle Sorcerer? Why?)

Snowbluff
2014-01-03, 02:06 PM

Yeah, that makes no sense unless you're taking a ton of sorcerer levels. I don't even remember which fighting sorcerer that is. They're both terrible at multiclassing.

Gamereaper
2014-01-03, 03:13 PM

Not as squishy, a better BAB, and easier prestige into Abjurant champion, which vastly improves my survivability.

Yeah, that makes no sense unless you're taking a ton of sorcerer levels. I don't even remember which fighting sorcerer that is. They're both terrible at multiclassing.

Warlock will be my secondary, I'm picking mostly utilitity invocations

I'm getting the one that lets me see in any darkness and the darkness one. Concealment anytime.

Gamereaper
2014-01-03, 04:19 PM
It also raises the spell level. So you will need a higher-level spell "slot" available to use a Heightened Enervation. There are ways to reduce this too, like Easy Metamagic and Arcane Thesis.

Why would I try to lower the metamagic level if I'm trying to purposely raise it?

Asrrin
2014-01-03, 05:04 PM
Why would I try to lower the metamagic level if I'm trying to purposely raise it?

If you use Earthen Spell with Heighten you can cast a higher level spell out of a lower level spell slot. so you get the +DC from heightening the spell, but without having to use up your highest level slots that can be repurposed for your other spells.

Psyren
2014-01-03, 05:07 PM

Because you get the DC increase without the higher price tag.

Gamereaper
2014-01-03, 05:42 PM
Because you get the DC increase without the higher price tag.

That still doesn't help me, I need to increase the level of Enervation to a 5th level to meet the prerequisites for the Eldritch Theurge ability to mix spells and invocations.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-03, 05:56 PM
Not as squishy, a better BAB, and easier prestige into Abjurant champion, which vastly improves my survivability

Abjurant champion is a fun prestige class but it's hard to see how stunting how many spells you both know and can cast a day is gonna increase survivability

Gamereaper
2014-01-03, 11:13 PM
Abjurant champion is a fun prestige class but it's hard to see how stunting how many spells you both know and can cast a day is gonna increase survivability

I'm sacrificing a couple spells for:

A D8 in my primary class.
A D10 in my other prestige that I just level up to qualify for.
5 levels of full BAB, which is good for rays.
Augmented and Quickened defensive spells.
Light Armor use.

I think that makes up for the D6 from the Warlock and Theurge.
As for the limited spells, I have Eldritch blast as a last ditch effort, but that's only after I run out of spells AND if I have to use up the spells that power my reserve feats that I'm taking.