PDA

View Full Version : Who's played the D&D demo at wizards.com?

Xartyve
2007-01-20, 12:23 AM
If you havent here it is! (http://www.wizards.com/playdnd/playdnd.asp)

So who's played it? I have and I gotta say, 13 AC for Aramil. And only 7 hit points. Also the voice actor for chris was kind of... okay it sucked. Sorry bout such a stupid thread but I just wanted to see what others thought

Divides
2007-01-20, 12:56 AM
That... was... PAINFUL!!!

Ok... except for the "Is it a really big kobold?" line. That was kind of amusing :-p.

The_Pope
2007-01-20, 12:59 AM
"I nail it for 5 points!"

I swear, I wanted to punch that guy in the jaw and steal his lunch money.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-20, 01:08 AM
That may very well be the one reason the nerd/geek stereotype gets such a bad name.

Scorpina
2007-01-20, 01:24 AM
...agh, that was... terrible...

Rex Idiotarum
2007-01-20, 01:25 AM
Flash Rocks! helping nerds become nerdier since the invention of newgrounds.

Druid
2007-01-20, 01:59 AM
What kind of DM ends an adventure like that?

Scorpina
2007-01-20, 02:01 AM
...the same kind who tells you the enemies AC?

Amotis
2007-01-20, 02:05 AM

You play at Comic Con? At the wizard's booth? It was horrible, absolutely horrible. We apparntly had to walk a undead dog (he picked a figure randomly) and were attacked by goblins for no reason. The ending was... "you killed the goblins, you walked the dog and got money from it's owner." The DM was trying to be funny...I think, he kept cracking stupid jokes about how the dog wasn't eatting enough or something. It was lame.

WTF? I mean, as if people weren't turned off by D&D already, make THAT your first experiance? Huh?

'Course we had fun by pretending that we didn't know D&D.

Linda (Me) - "I attack Regdar."
Regdar (friend) *snickers*
DM - "You can't attack Regdar, he's your friend."
Linda (Me) - "No, I want his sword. I attack Regdar."

daggaz
2007-01-20, 02:11 AM
OMG they are actually trying to reinforce the DnD is only for geeks stereotype!

Did you notice how the DM's voice betrays the presense of a retainer?? She sounds alot like Shelly from SouthPark. LAME.

Amotis
2007-01-20, 02:12 AM
Spares? Spears, you mean?

Rex Idiotarum
2007-01-20, 02:28 AM
I've got to end adventures like that.
"Now that I've had you play a session of Zombies ate my Homework, go out and buy any D&D, D20 Modern, or any other Dice-based RPG."

mikeejimbo
2007-01-20, 02:36 AM
And here I was hoping it'd be over when I killed the second Kobold...

AmoDman
2007-01-20, 02:39 AM
Oh God, I've played it before, and I couldn't bear to play it again after loading it up. It is sooooo bad. If you want to play a real PC rpg, then play a real PC rpg...not this pseudo pen & paper trash.

Divides
2007-01-20, 02:42 AM
Oh God, I've played it before, and I couldn't bear to play it again after loading it up. It is sooooo bad. If you want to play a real PC rpg, then play a real PC rpg...not this pseudo pen & paper trash.

Well, duh! It's ment primarilly as a demonstration for people that want to see what the game is like, not to be a game in and of itself.

Now, the fact that it SUCKS as such... well, that's another matter :-p.

Druid
Everytime it told me I could do anything in DnD I was wondering "why can't I attack the elf?"

mikeejimbo

To be fair, this isn't a PC RPG, it's a short flash video that's supposed to teach you the basics of D&D. And it pretends to be interactive, too.

JimmyDPawn
2007-01-20, 02:44 AM
Ow. >_-

This would be the point where I makes some sort of lame joke about losing HP from that, or something.

Divides
2007-01-20, 03:01 AM
Ow. >_-

This would be the point where I makes some sort of lame joke about losing HP from that, or something.

Or, in my case, "Aaand I take ANOTHER point of wisdom damage."

Rex Idiotarum
2007-01-20, 03:03 AM
AHHHHH!!!! I have no more Sanity points left! I mean it's a good thing I don't play by those variant rules.

Xartyve
2007-01-20, 03:23 AM

...the same kind who tells you the enemies AC?

Hey, you're right!

Skyserpent
2007-01-20, 03:36 AM
They need to invent new adjectives for pain.

Suffering no longer cuts it.

Matthew
2007-01-20, 07:32 AM
I don't know what you guys are on about. That demo is great. I laughed my ass off the first time I saw it, which was some years ago.

You obviously don't remember the horror that was the Dragon Strike Hyper Reality Video or First Quest Audio CD.

Ikkitosen
2007-01-20, 08:28 AM
Sooooooo baaaaaaaaaaaaaad.......

clarkvalentine
2007-01-20, 09:37 AM
Yeah, it's kind of cringeworthy for experienced players, but how would you design a flash demo of tabletop D&D intended for people who have no idea how it works?

Rex Idiotarum
2007-01-20, 12:36 PM
By actually creating a game. Although there are so many variables...Maybe a simpler version.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-20, 12:41 PM
You know I've had trouble convincing somebody to join my weekly D&D sessions entirely because he played this? It doesn't matter that he knows I'm a great storyteller, he's mortified with the belief that all D&D games are like that.

Divides
2007-01-20, 01:19 PM
Yeah, it's kind of cringeworthy for experienced players, but how would you design a flash demo of tabletop D&D intended for people who have no idea how it works?

Well, for staters...

1: Not making the DM sound like she has a retainer (as has been mentioned above) for no good reason other than that you can.

2: Giving the people representing the DMs and PCs decent scripts ("WOW! I nailed it for 4 points!" makes the guy sound like a 5 year old, IMHO).

3: Having decent voices for the people being represtented (I understand that it's not supposed to be a massive, awe inspiring theatrical display... but still... the people there sounded like they were struggling not to die from boredom 2/3rds of the time).

4: Actually handling giving things a vague semblance to how it would go in the actual game? I mean, seriously, why were they skipping out on iniciative? It made things sound more arbitrary and silly than really should have been done. Also, what's-his-name should have been behaving like a sane spellcaster, and not a suicidal guy or a rogue... which means not running off on his own into the unknown room when the other door opened (actually, that's not the brightest course of action for most rogues either... but atleast there are SOME reasons it's likely to make sense for them... especially if they're playing the steriotypical thief type :-p). Also, the GM simply announcing what the creatures were was a little off... if they really felt it was necessary to let the audiance know what sorts of things were being encountered, she could have atleast said, "you recognize it as," but NOOOOOO...

I'm sure there are other things I'm not thinking of, but those are deffinetly some of the biggies.

Were-Sandwich
2007-01-20, 01:35 PM
Shoot me. please. My hope just died.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-20, 01:46 PM
*click click*

Just hold still. Bullets are expensive.

Orzel
2007-01-20, 02:01 PM
Aaarg!

*fails Will save*
It's real!! Nooooooooooo!

*makes Fort save*
Ouch. My brain.

*takes 9 damage*
Phantasmal Killer!

Matthew
2007-01-20, 02:30 PM
Believe me, it's got nothing on Hyper Reality: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/89738

Amotis
2007-01-20, 04:02 PM
Believe me, it's got nothing on Hyper Reality: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/89738

My God...the wizard...the wizard...

Xartyve
2007-01-20, 07:21 PM
Yeah it's pretty ba-
Oh who am I kidding it sucks! Sucks more than the Highlander sequel.

Shazzbaa
2007-01-20, 07:44 PM
*makes Will save*

*doesn't click on the link in the first place*

...I'm curious, but after hearing the screams of horror coming from those who tried, I simply can't bring myself to do it.

Yakk
2007-01-20, 07:44 PM
/shrug. I dunno about you guys, but when I stared playing, that wouldn't be too far off. We used to farm dragon turtles for their treasure. ;)

Of course, I was 7 at the time, and didn't have a beard.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-20, 07:51 PM
Just imagine the most horrible, painful thing you possibly can. Then amplify it by pi without putting the decimal point in.

Basically, infinite horrors.

Obtree
2007-01-20, 08:22 PM

Lol, that was my introduction to rpgs. I was the elf class. Man that game was awesome!

P.S.: check out the warrior's hair lol.

Druid
2007-01-20, 10:14 PM
I'm afraid to follow the link.

F.H. Zebedee
2007-01-21, 05:32 AM
You can't go through life nitpicking every little detail!

BONZAI!

I can taste my brain...

ghost_warlock
2007-01-21, 07:36 AM
I do fairly well at taking cheesy in stride so that aspect of it didn't bother me too much. At least Aramil didn't shoot a magic missile at the darkness. *sigh* The thing that annoyed me the most was that I couldn't charge the troglodyte. Apparently, it'd be too much to ask to actually use the Power Attack feat, too.

Saph
2007-01-21, 08:01 AM
*fails Will save*

Oh, god. That was awful. How can they take a game that's so much fun and make it so horrendously boring? The next time I have to explain D&D to a new player, I'll make sure they don't see it.

- Saph

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-21, 10:31 AM
That's for the best. They might not want to play the game ever if you let them see that.

Matthew
2007-01-21, 11:03 AM
Lol, that was my introduction to rpgs. I was the elf class. Man that game was awesome!

P.S.: check out the warrior's hair lol.

Yeah, we spent quite a lot of time laughing at the rather effeminate Warrior. It was actually quite a reasonable game. If they'd just dumped the Hyper Reality Video in favour of more models... but it was a time of fear with regard to technology and RPGs...

Tallis
2007-01-21, 11:08 AM
After watching that I'm considering quitting D&D.
God it was aweful.

InaVegt
2007-01-21, 11:17 AM
God it was aweful.

So, you were awed by it then? I personally think it is awful, but whatever floats your boat.

Suvarov454
2007-01-21, 01:23 PM
I think you're all looking at this wrong. *I* think that it was an homage to the Dead Alewives (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Alewives) classic sketch.

Matthew
2007-02-10, 09:32 PM
I was strongly reminded of that sketch as well, though the 8 Bit Theatre version (http://www.cybermoonstudios.com/8bitDandD.html).

[Edit]
I just found the DragonStrike video on YouTube and I thought it important to share: DragonStrike (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8LBpMuSTrQ)