PDA

View Full Version : is void mind worth it

12owlbears
2014-01-03, 03:07 PM
I was looking thorough a list of templates and I found the void mind template. It looks cool but the +3LA makes it seem like a bad choice. I don't understand the mechanics of dnd well enough too know weather the +3 actually balances out the bonuses from void mind or not. If I were to get rid of the tendril, the slime cone, the natural armor, and the bonus feats what LA would that be.

Fouredged Sword
2014-01-03, 03:18 PM
+3 is almost never worth it.

+1 can be worth it.

+2 can be worth it with LA buyoff in play, but you are best if starting mid levels where you are no more than 1 HD behind the party.

+3 barely sneaks in by level 18, and CAN be worth it during high level play where you can start with most of it bought off already.

+4 should be avoided. Almost nothing is worth it.

Necroticplague
2014-01-03, 04:53 PM
If in gestalt, LA can be a better deal, since you don't lose HD over it, so you can just compare benefits compared to what class they're replacing.

mregecko
2014-01-03, 05:13 PM
Void mind is a pretty great template to put onto monsters if you're a DM.

It's not great for players. Three levels in a good class is worth way more.

CyberThread
2014-01-03, 05:36 PM
Have you thoughto f similar flavored things like fiendish familar, and likewise addons that cost money instead of levels?

infomatic
2014-01-03, 08:46 PM
Plus, there's the bit about, you know, putting your character at the complete mercy of 3 Mind Flayers (read: The DM) whenever they (read: The DM) feels like it, with no save. Even if everything else in the template were worth it, that's a big no-go.

Osiris
2014-01-03, 08:52 PM
+3 is almost never worth it.

+1 can be worth it.

+2 can be worth it with LA buyoff in play, but you are best if starting mid levels where you are no more than 1 HD behind the party.

+3 barely sneaks in by level 18, and CAN be worth it during high level play where you can start with most of it bought off already.

+4 should be avoided. Almost nothing is worth it.

Pretty much all of that. If you play with LA buyoff (my DM's never do), then maybe 1 would be OK, but 3 is extreme. At your level, a +3 la template no classed guy, wizards beside you are casting 2nd level spells. LA is nearly never worth it, unless you have an OP combo which makes up for the LA, plus more.

CyberThread
2014-01-03, 09:18 PM
Ones worth the la half fey. Phenric. Stuff like that

Thurbane
2014-01-03, 09:24 PM
Even without the +3 LA, the template basically makes you a gimp/Renfield for a bunch of Illithids - I'd never take it as a PC myself.

As noted, it's a nice template for DM to throw on certain monsters.

Necroticplague
2014-01-03, 09:25 PM
Ones worth the la half fey. Phenric. Stuff like that

Yeah, not too many middle-ground templates. A lot of them are either way too powerful, or complete crap.

12owlbears
2014-01-03, 10:30 PM
Plus, there's the bit about, you know, putting your character at the complete mercy of 3 Mind Flayers (read: The DM) whenever they (read: The DM) feels like it, with no save. Even if everything else in the template were worth it, that's a big no-go.

and that's why I think the +3 LA is ridiculous the bonuses are definitely outweighed by the whole being a mind flayers stooge thing it should be a +2 LA at most

CyberThread
2014-01-04, 12:09 AM
There is non mind version if you look at the alignment section. With all it gets the la is probably fair