PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorm - Need help designing upcoming battle

Dreadgrim
2014-01-03, 06:10 PM
Given that I still feel a newbie at mastering, I would like some feedback on an upcoming battle that my players will face on Monday. It's pretty much done, to the point that I am running simulations, but I feel like getting different angles at this point of my 'career' as a DM will shape my style in useful ways, much more than getting insight in the future, after I get used to do stuff my way. With this in mind, I apologize if such kind of self-centered discussions are perceived as boring in this forum. If you are interested, here is some crunch..

The party:
Human Barbarian 4/Warblade 1 -> Charge and smash things
Dwarf Barbarian 4 -> Charge and smash things, sometimes use Halberd
Warforged Fighter 4/Barbarian 1 -> Tank
Human Ranger 5 -> TWF and occasional archer
Changeling Factotum 4 -> I really don't know what this does in combat
Kalashtar Psion (Kineticist) 4 -> 20 Int, 31 PP 11 AC 17 hp Blastah :^)
Changeing Druid 5 -> Usually do stuff like sphere of flames, hope that the newly increased level will see some Wildshape and cool spells XD

Enemy party, all Warforged (the two parties are already face to face and ready to fight, so I can't remove any member from here)

Fighter 1/Warblade 4/Wf Juggernaut 1 (boss) -> Sorta of a martial art guy, lieutenant of the Lord of Blades
2x Warrior 1/ Warblade 3 -> His disciples
Soulknife 5 -> Novas with Psionic Weapon and Psychic strike, (for 2d8+2d6+5) then goes to sleep
Fighter 1/Barbarian3 -> Teh greatsword CE pain, also has nasty bite attack. Has a beef with party's Barbie Warbie, will ragecharge and take AoOs, but also keep on hitting him should he fall.
Artficer 4 -> Help needed here

The direct questions: Do NPC Artificers get normal equip or more considering their craft reserve?
How can i make 85% sure that the boss can leave?

They are in a big underground square room in a lava-powered factory (Almost no lava in this room). I was thinking about some pressure elevator that springs really fast but it's slow to put back into position, so they will have a hard time chasing (but if they are smart they will use that scroll of Flight..)

If I put the boss in a higher position (like, on top of 2 or 3 stairs) to avoid him being charged, would this allow him to charge anyway (by jumping down the stairs)?

I was thinking about giving the Artificer a wand of Hold person to help the leader run but then he should use it in combat and that seems a little too beastly. I actually don't know what to do with the guy, I guess assume that he already used infusions to buff his friends
and maybe go around and heal a little with what it's remaining? This is unexciting, there should be better with this beastly class.

As they are now they don't die in the simulations I run, but also I don't tackle their blaster at the first round, also, I don't use Artificer at full power.

Basically it would be ok to have a couple PC die as a wake up call, but if they play smart they all deserve to go away on their feet.

Thank you!