PDA

View Full Version : Princess Doom vs. Alif (The Crowd Calls for Blood)!

OMG PONIES
2014-01-03, 08:35 PM
The crowd is in an uproar as the two contestants are brought into the arena and unshackled in their opposing corners. The gigantic gates behind each of them would usually close with a deafening din of metal and stone, but any sound the gates would make is drowned out by those seeking entertainment. Both of them knew to expect this, but actually experiencing it was something else entirely. As the two fighters prepare to defend their lives, Princess Doom is the first off the blocks.

However, rather than seeing her opponent all she can make out in his corner of the arena is a swirling, drifting bank of snow. Likewise, the crowd can't seem to peer within the whiteout. A hush falls over the crowd, waiting to see what Princess Doom will do.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9969/bpqh.jpg

A_S, you're up! Failure to respond by 1/8/14 will result in holding your initiative. If you can't get up an IC post by Monday, just check in to let us know.

A_S
2014-01-03, 08:52 PM
In the southwest corner of the arena stands a tall human woman with black hair. She's dressed in a suit of light armor that seems to be woven from leaves. For a moment, the spectators almost think they see writhing snakes woven into the fabric, but closer inspection reveals them to be merely vines.

Her hands are gloved in matching steel gauntlets, which have rather nasty-looking spikes extending from the knuckles. She wears a blank white porcelain mask that obscures the top half of her face, but a birthmark or tattoo can be seen extending down the left side of her jaw and neck. In her right hand, she brandishes a long, straight spear.

As the match begins, she takes off at a dead run straight toward the cloud of swirling snow, levelling the spear at her opponent's presumed location with deadly intent. She disappears into the edge of the cloud and...

Scroll 1: [roll0] vs. DC23
Scroll 2: [roll1] vs. DC25

*edit* Neither of my consumables go off. That actually means my initiative modifier was incorrect, though it doesn't make a difference here. Sorry, I should have realized that needed to be done first. On subsequent fights, my init will be +10.

*edit 2* I have updated my sheet to reflect the fact that these didn't go off.
Full round action: Run to S2.

I have darkvision and can see invisibility. What do I see?

This does not conclude my actions.

OMG PONIES
2014-01-04, 02:10 PM
As Princess Doom runs into the cloud of white, she realizes she may have underestimated the impact of the weather. Her bones are chilled and she shivers off the freeze, but she has to stop running as she can no longer see in front of her face.

@A_S: You can't use the run action if you can't see where you're going. Since the snow obscures all sight (including darkvision) beyond 5 feet, you can only run 5 feet into the snow (the first space inside the border of the snow). Please pick the square you are running to.

A_S
2014-01-04, 10:33 PM
Haha, well that's embarrassing. I even went and reread the rules on running 'cuz I never use it, and found the stuff on hampered movement costing double (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm)...but the "can't see" bit is in the other rules on the Run action (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#run).

Derp.
I'll end my movement in P5. That conclude my actions.

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-04, 11:13 PM
A high, unearthly cackle comes from deep within the snow, a cold sound that pierces the frozen winds. Then the snow begins to shift, to move, to drift. Soon it is all around Princess Doom, surrounding her on all sides, plunging her into its icy depths.

A flash of darkness appears briefly behind Princess Doom, a wispy, nebulous form, but against the white snow it shows up starkly. The form seems to be of a man, or perhaps only the shadow of a man. It reaches a ghostly hand forward, passing through Princess Doom's armor, and its shadowy fingers grasp at her heart.

Move to R3, snow moving with me. (Move action)
Summon a shadow into O6, shadow summoned this round can perform one standard action. (Standard action.)
Shadow's action: attack Princess Doom.

Touch attack (enemy should also be denied Dex due to running unless she has the Run feat): [roll0], [roll1] Strength damage
--Crit confirmation, if needed: [roll2] [roll3]
Miss chance due to snow concealment (20 or below is a miss): [roll4]

A_S
2014-01-05, 01:04 AM
Interesting.

When you say "behind", you mean her shadowy assailant is in O6?

DM, are there any spellcraft or knowledge checks I might make that would help me learn the nature of the attack? If you feel the check itself could be a spoiler, you are of course free to make it for me in secret.

*edit* Also, I may have actions in response to this stuff, so no next round update until I have a chance to post them, please!

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-05, 09:22 AM
Sorry, yes, O6.

A_S
2014-01-05, 01:19 PM
Thanks, that's enough to determine my action.

-----

As the darkness reaches for the Princess' heart, she blinks momentarily out of existence, and reappears in the only safe place available to her: Even deeper into the snow storm (Q4).

Immediate Action: Abrupt Jaunt to Q4.

I have no further actions this round.

*edit* Can I see anything from my new position?

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-05, 01:31 PM
Please let me know if the previous action was anything that either triggered an AoO (Princess Doom was within my threatened area) or something that can be identified via Spellcraft or Knowledge (arcana).

OMG PONIES
2014-01-06, 07:26 AM
As Princess Doom feels around in the snow, she is surprised to notice a dark shade of a creature behind her. She tries to connect the warped visage to something--anything--in her mind, but can't manage to identify it. There is no time for study, anyway, as the creature reaches out to attack her! Luckily, she is not so surprised as to lose her instincts. With a mere thought, Princess Doom teleports away from the creature.

Mere feet away, somewhere in the snow, she reappears in front of another creature. This one, however, is not warped and dark. Instead, it is the face of her competitor: Alif! He seems just as surprised as she is by the coincidence. Meanwhile, in the crowd some begin to heckle as they can't see a single thing going on inside the blizzard.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/4886/ab8b.jpg

Note: the creature that tried to attack Princess Doom is still somewhere in the snow storm--just not currently visible to her.

A_S, you're up in Round 2!

@A_S
Please be sure to track uses of Abrupt Jaunt on your sheet, and remove one.

A spellcraft check could let you know about any ongoing spell effects you're seeing, and a Knowledge: religion check would allow you to identify the creature. For convenience, I'll roll Spellcraft for you:

[roll0] for first effect
[roll1] for first effect

Sorry, due to some abysmal rolls you can't identify either spell effect in place. Since you have no ranks in Knowledge: religion, you can't identify the creature, either.

@Piggy:
The ability Princess Doom used does not trigger an AoO, as it is a supernatural ability. Since it thus has no verbal or somatic components, it cannot be identified at the time of use. You can, however, identify its effect with a Spellcraft roll of 20+spell level to determine the effect after it's already been cast. I'll roll for you.

Spellcraft Roll (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16734902#post16734902)

From the short-distance teleport and lack of components, you can tell that Princess Doom has used Abrupt Jaunt.

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-06, 08:39 AM
The sudden appearance of Princess Doom next to him causes Alif to start for a moment, but then he grins, a small flash of teeth just barely visible in the swirling snow. His armor is heavily banded in well-worn steel, the edges going to rust. In heavy, gauntleted hands he grips a plain-looking spear.

A_S
2014-01-06, 01:19 PM
The Princess smiles back.

"There you are!"

The spear being unwieldy at such close range, she raises her gauntleted left hand for a crushing blow...but instead of striking home, her grin suddenly gets even wider (and crazier), and she shouts at the top of her lungs:

"Boo!"

It's hard for anyone to put their finger on exactly why, but the sound makes the crowd's blood freeze in their veins. As for Alif...

You are being demoralized! If you are vulnerable to this form of attack, you need to roll (1d20 + HD + Wis bonus + bonus vs. fear) against a DC of [roll0] or cower in fear for one round, then be shaken for one additional round.

*edit* Further actions depend on the outcome of this one.
Move action: Demoralize.

Further actions depend on the outcome of this one.

*edit* My Abrupt Jaunt counter has been added to my sheet under Special Abilities.

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-06, 01:44 PM
Alif freezes in fear, cringing away from Princess Doom, looking with wild eyes and choking out a cry to his shadow for assistance.

Rolling for the sake of form, but I can't best that check: [roll0]

Alif is cowering.

When exactly am I no longer cowering and instead just shaken? As it lasts for one round, I'm mostly interested in whether I can take AoOs (or use an immediate action) during Princess Doom's next round of actions, if any are triggered.

EDIT: Also, can I still speak or direct my shadow while cowering? I assume that it will continue trying to attack since that was its last command, but can I direct its actions?

EDIT2: What kind of an action is it to close my eyes?

A_S
2014-01-06, 10:41 PM
The Princess giggles a bit as she sees Alif begin to tremble. She takes a quick step to the side, then makes a quick, complicated gesture with her left hand. Otherworldly, multicolored flames spring from her gauntleted fingertips toward Alif.

Not an action: 5-foot-step to Q3.
Standard Action: Use a spell-like ability.

[roll0]
[roll1] (if needed)
[roll2] (1-20 misses)
[roll3]

This concludes my round.

*edit* Apparently multi-word rolls don't need quotes :P .
I can't find rules for using Spellcraft to learn anything about an SLA that doesn't mimic a spell...should I treat Eldritch Blast as a spell of its equivalent level? It does have somatic components, after all, which obviates the reason SLA's usually can't be identified as they're cast.

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-06, 11:17 PM
Still paralyzed with fear, Alif trembles in place even as the flames wrack his body.

Without new direction, the shadow glides noiselessly back to Alif, hovering above him. Then it reaches its cold and formless hands toward Princess Doom once more, but grasps only air as Princess Doom disappears further into the snow.

Shadow flies to R3, 5' in the air (the space immediately above Alif), then makes a touch attack against Princess Doom. Taking the most direct route, the shadow will provoke an attack of opportunity from Princess Doom when moving through her threatened area, which will of course resolve first - I'll edit in the details of that AoO if Princess Doom chooses to make it.

Touch attack: [roll0]
--Crit confirmation (if necessary): [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Miss chance (1-20 misses): [roll3]

Retconned.

Alif cowers and can take no other actions.

A_S
2014-01-06, 11:28 PM
As before, the Princess teleports away just in time to avoid the attack (to P3).

Immediate Action: Abrupt Jaunt to P3
Do you have any other actions you can take or clarifications you need before we continue? If not, I think we can get through the next few rounds pretty quickly without DM intervention, because I won't be doing anything secret, just burning resources trying to outlast your shadow's duration.

*edit* Oh yeah, did the touch attack hit Alif?
*edit 2* She also foregoes her attack of opportunity.

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-06, 11:40 PM
Sorry, yes, the touch attack hit. I'll edit that in.

I am waiting on one clarification - basically, if I can perform a free or immediate action in response to a renewed demoralization attempt. I'm not sure how the overlap works, if there's an instant where I'm only shaken before the cowering takes effect again. If the answer is no, then we can basically trade Abrupt Jaunts and rounds off my shadow's duration, because I can't beat that Intimidate check even with a natural 20 versus a natural 1. If the answer is yes, I do have additional actions I'd like to perform.

A_S
2014-01-06, 11:47 PM
Understood, we'll wait on PONIES for that.

OMG PONIES
2014-01-07, 07:38 AM
@Both: Let's pause here for a quick moment. There are a few questions I'd like to clarify, and the response to one may involve a minor retcon.

@Piggy:
How does the shadow know to come to Alif's space? It can't see where Alif is and doesn't have other senses. It will continue attempting to follow the last command (attack Princess), but since it can no longer see Princess Doom and she disappeared from in front of it, returning to a caster it's never seen seems a bit of a stretch.

The way I'm thinking of ruling is this: the creature knows it needs to move, but doesn't know where. It has a random 1/8 chance of moving in the right direction (as 8 squares surround it). Otherwise it will take a move action in a random direction specified by a die roll.

In regards to cowering, it ends right before A_S' next turn, so you can take immediate actions on Princess' initiative or AoOs next round. A cowering character can take no actions, including free actions like speaking or directing your summon. As far as shutting your eyes, we can call it an immediate action, based on the idea of averting your gaze from an enemy's gaze attack. That text mentions closing your eyes.

It can't be done while cowering (since you can take no actions of any kind), but can be done afterward and would impose the blinded condition on yourself. Also, just to be clear: Princess Doom can still intimidate you even if you can't see her...she just has to be threatening you and able to see you. Sometimes, closing your eyes doesn't make the monsters go away.

@A_S:
I think that the Complete Arcane errata clarified that:

An eldritch blast is the equivalent of a 1st-level spell. If you apply a blast shape or eldritch essence invocation to your eldritch blast (see page 130), your eldritch blast uses the level equivalent of the shape or essence. Any other references to eldritch blast being something other than the equivalent of a 1st-level spell should be disregarded.

Based on that, an opponent could make a Spellcraft check at DC 21 to identify an unmodified eldritch blast, assuming they can see or detect the effects. Since it is an SLA and thus has no components, opponents could not make the DC 16 check to identify a spell being cast. Also, please keep in mind that, as an SLA, Eldritch Blast provokes attacks of opportunity unless used defensively.

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-07, 08:45 AM
Actually, that's not the case. Per the rules for demoralizing:

You can intimidate only an opponent that you threaten in melee combat and that can see you.

(If it was the other way around, I'd actually be fine, as Princess Doom is more than 5' away from me right now and therefore can't see me.)

Regarding the shadow, that's why I had him cry out to the shadow for assistance as a response to being fear-locked, but I can understand if specifics such as where to approach are too much. I'll go with however you want to resolve it.

OMG PONIES
2014-01-07, 09:16 AM
I think all questions have been resolved. Minor retcon on this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16740080&postcount=15): the shadow does not come back into view, and thus does not attack Princess Doom. She has thus only expended one use of Abrupt Jaunt for the day and remains in Q4.

Princess Doom's spell-like ability stings as it connects with Alif, damaging the man who has no response but remaining frozen in fear. As Princess Doom begins to act again, Alif gathers his wits about him. He is still shaking with fear, but he is able to will himself to fight through it.

Beginning of Round 3: Princess Doom is up and Alif's cowering ends, replaced with the shaken condition.

@Alif (Spellcraft DC 21 to open):
The spell-like ability Princess Doom used was an eldritch blast. Since you were cowering at the time of its use, it provoked no attack of opportunity.

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/554/rbz0.jpg

@Piggy
Of course I read the rules backwards. :smallredface: Closing your eyes to avoid being demoralized doesn't make total sense, but it's there in the rules. In regards to the shadow, I thought "choking out a cry" was just flavor text that you were trying to call out but found yourself unable. You can't do anything in response to being demoralized since it leaves you cowering. Your shadow will move in a random direction, with 1 being diagonally up and to the left, numbers moving clockwise around its square until reaching 8 due left.

[roll0] The shadow moves due north to O1, retcon in effect as it does not see Princess Doom. Please edit post #15, linked above.

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-07, 10:18 AM
Spellcraft: [roll0]

Well, to be fair, it was intended as flavor, but I thought making some noise could also help attract the shadow. It was a long shot, though. I'll edit the original post.

If I can close my eyes as an immediate action, then I'll hang on to that immediate action to do so if Princess Doom attempts to demoralize me this round.

A_S
2014-01-07, 01:39 PM
The Princess keeps circling around Alif (to R2), and laying down the fear. This time, she points to her own eyes, then to Alif's, and repeats the gesture several times, making the universal sign for "I'm watching you, punk." It's terrifying. Then she continues the eldritch barbecue.

Minor correction: The Princess had already taken a 5-foot step to Q3 before the retcon (here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16739901&postcount=14)), and starts her round there, not in Q4.

Actions:

Not an action: 5-foot step to R2.

Standard action: Pew pew!
[roll0]
[roll1] (if needed)
[roll2] (1-20 misses)
[roll3]
[roll4] (if needed)
PONIES, I'm assuming your spoilers to Mr. Knowles contain your answer to his question about the intimidate lockdown, which is also relevant to my actions. Assuming he is capable of doing something about it as an immediate action, can he break the lockdown on my turn?

Also, if I use an immediate action in response to his immediate action (on my turn), whose action will take precedence/resolve first?

-----

This bit doesn't matter for the fight, I'm just quibbling:

re: Eldritch Blast, it does provoke AoO's, but not from cowering characters, I believe. The shadow was still out of reach when I used it.

And, unlike most SLA's, EB does have somatic components (CArc p7), which is why I thought it might be identifiable as cast.

The errata clarifies what spell level equivalent I would use in any spellcraft check that is made to identify it, but I still don't see any rules that say (for instance) "You can make a Spellcraft check against a DC of 10 + the SLA's spell level equivalent to identify it" or something like that, which seems like it would be needed.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Piggy knows I'm using Eldritch Blast anyway, so this is all a bit navel-gazey.

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-07, 01:55 PM
Still terrified and visibly shaken, Alif squeezes his eyes shut against the intimidating form if Princess Doom. Unable to see her, he breathes slightly easier, though beads of sweat prickle his skin despite the cold.

Unable to see to avoid the blast, Alif is again wracked by eldritch fire.

Immediate action: Alif closes his eyes. Unable to see Princess Doom, she can no longer demoralize him. However, he remains shaken, and is now flat-footed against her attack, which hits.

A_S
2014-01-07, 02:04 PM
Haha, so that's the immediate action you can take to avoid the lockdown? Welp, I guess it says so right in the description :P .

Gotta wait for another ruling from PONIES before we can continue, I might have some counter-nope up my sleeve.

OMG PONIES
2014-01-07, 02:37 PM
OOC: Your opponent has to be able to see you in order to be demoralized. Based on the rules regarding gaze attacks, I've ruled that Alif can close his eyes as an immediate action when his cowering condition ends right before the beginning of Princess Doom's actions. Thus, Princess Doom cannot demoralize him while his eyes are closed. It's wonky, but it's RAW. Is there another ruling we're awaiting that I've missed?

A_S
2014-01-07, 04:17 PM
Whether an immediate action I take in response to Alif's immediate action preempts it. I want to Lesser Celerity > demoralize in response to his attempt to close his eyes.

OMG PONIES
2014-01-08, 09:27 AM
@A_S:
Cheeky monkey! Yes, you can interrupt his immediate action with one of your own. However, this would mean that you do not have a swift action available on your turn, just a heads up.

A_S
2014-01-08, 01:19 PM
Alif tries to shut his eyes and pretend the Princess isn't there, but she's just too fast for him! The afterimage of that creepy white mask is already burned onto his retinas.

Alif doesn't notice any spell components, but he might recognize his opponent's burst of unnatural speed as the effects of...
Lesser Celerity, using the granted move action to demoralize Alif.
The Princess has taken an immediate action that prevents Alif from closing his eyes in time to avoid being demoralized. The rest of the round proceeds as previously indicated here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16743318&postcount=23).

Alif is up, he's still cowering, and his eyes are still open.

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-08, 02:15 PM
Alif continues to cower, unable even to shut his eyes to block out Princess Doom's terrifying mien.

Spellcraft: [roll0]

Does Alif still take damage, since presumably Princess Doom is dazed until the end of her next round?

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-08, 02:20 PM
Only five directions the shadow can go from here, so I'll do a d5. 1=due east, 2=southeast, 3=south, 4=southwest, 5=west.

[roll0]

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-08, 02:25 PM
The shadow, moving slowly throw the snow, comes upon the fell form of Princess Doom. Once again it reaches out to grasp at her with its cold hands of mist.

The shadow appears in Q1 and, seeing Princess Doom, attacks!

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Miss chance (1-20 misses): [roll2]

(Sorry for the triple post, but I can't edit in rolls, so I don't have much choice. Alif's turn is done.)

A_S
2014-01-08, 03:58 PM
Alif does still take the damage. Although your knowledge of the spell suggests Princess Doom should be dazed, she shows no signs of it.
Princess Doom looks frustrated to see the shadow make another appearance. Fortunately for her, she is able to avoid its rather lackluster attack...this time. It's going to get another try, though, as she backs out of its sight into the snow.

At this point, fear of fear itself starts to do the Princess' job for her, and all it takes is some crazy eyes to keep Alif trembling.

Move: To Q4 via a circuitous path, starting by leaving the shadow's sight by moving southeast into S3, then moving west, south of Alif. This move provokes an attack of opportunity from the shadow.

Move: Demoralize Alif.

Assuming Alif attempts to close his eyes as an immediate action, Immediate Action: Lesser Celerity > Demoralize Alif.

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-08, 05:23 PM
The shadow reaches forward once more as Princess Doom winds around the form of Alif. Alif, too, sees a moment of opportunity, but rather than swinging his mailed gauntlets toward the elusive Princess Doom, he steps to the side away from the retreating figure and disappears into the swirling snow.

Shadowy touch attack of opportunity! [roll0]
Miss chance (1-20 misses): [roll2]

You also see Alif step away from you to the northwest as you move, before being fully concealed by the snow once more.

(If you do manage to find Alif this round and attempt to demoralize him, I do still plan to close my eyes in response to any demoralization - if nothing else, burning your immediate actions prevents you from Abrupt Jaunting...)

Use my AoO from Princess Doom's movement to take a 5' step to Q2.

A_S
2014-01-08, 07:21 PM
Ouch...that's what I get for posting in a hurry :(
The shadow's attack misses once again.

Can I use Never Outnumbered (1/day), get interrupted by Alif's eye-closing, then use it as an immediate action (because the first attempted use was interrupted and has not actually happened yet)?

I honestly have no idea if that's how immediate actions work :P .

Disregard this.

A_S
2014-01-08, 10:26 PM
Actions resume from Princess Doom's last valid completed action (the move to Q4):

Swift action: Abrupt Jaunt to P3.

Do I find anything?

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-08, 11:02 PM
As the mist clears, you find yourself once more facing down Alif the Unseen, misty before you in the swirling snow.

Alif is standing at Q2.

A_S
2014-01-08, 11:44 PM
Her Highness gives Alif a rather nasty glare from behind her mask, but is otherwise still, poised for action.

Standard action: Ready an action to demoralize Alif as soon as he does anything, including attempting to close his eyes.
This concludes my turn.

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-09, 08:44 AM
Alif signals Princess Doom's new location to his shadow, who glides forward to attack. Then he steps away, leaving himself open to Princess Doom's attacks for a brief moment before vanishing into the snow.

Shadow appears in P2 and attacks!
Attack: [roll0]
Miss chance: [roll2]

Alif steps away east to R2, where he disappears into the snow. This provokes an AoO from Princess. Further actions may be forthcoming depending on AoO results.

Move east to R2, then down to S5. Will conclude action based on Doom's response.

OMG PONIES
2014-01-09, 09:10 AM
As Alif raises an arm to signal his shadow, Princess Doom growls and puts tremendous fear in him once more.

[roll0] 1=East, 2=Southeast, 3=Southwest, 4=West

Paused: possible retcon in effect. Unpaused. Minor retcon described below, but affects only resource expenditure and not any other actions that have taken place thus far.

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-09, 09:15 AM
Moving southwest will have the shadow still encounter Princess at the same place, so the attack roll should hold.

Can I close my eyes as an immediate action response to the readied action, or does the readied action prevent me from taking an immediate?

OMG PONIES
2014-01-09, 09:19 AM
OOC: We've gotten to an area I can't find explicitly covered by the rules--can an immediate action interrupt a readied action? Doom's readied action triggered in response to Alif's signal to the shadow. The question that stands is whether Alif can close his eyes as that readied action begins, using an immediate action which consumes his swift action for his turn, which would commence after the readied action completes. We were already in a gray area with immediates interrupting each other, caused by my impromptu ruling that closing one's eyes is an immediate action. I'm going to have to do some research. Please pause.

If the triggered action is part of another character’s activities, you interrupt the other character. Assuming he is still capable of doing so, he continues his actions once you complete your readied action...When you take your readied action, your new initiative count changes to the one on which you acted. You act immediately before any creature whose activities triggered your readied action.

Emphasis mine. So Princess Doom's initiative count changes, and we are "completing" her turn in the same round it began. Thus, she is unable to use any immediate actions after her readied action as she has already "spent" her swift action on Abrupt Jaunt this turn. The question remains, though--has she interrupted Alif so much that he cannot respond with an immediate action?

...unlike a swift action, an immediate action can be performed at any time during a round, even when it isn’t your turn. Using an immediate action on your turn counts as your swift action for that turn. If you use an immediate action when it isn’t your turn, you can’t use another immediate action or a swift action until after your next turn.

Again, emphasis mine. So the question is, does "any time" trump "he continues his actions once you complete your readied action?" I believe it does. Thus, I'm leaning toward the following order of events:
Princess' readied action triggers as Alif begins to move his arm. Before he can complete that motion, Princess Doom attempts to demoralize him. Before she can complete that action, Alif closes his eyes and renders the demoralization attempt moot. Alif can now take his turn, albeit with the blinded condition imposed on him as he has shut his eyes.
However, since it is no longer her turn, Princess Doom may now take an immediate action on Alif's initiative and forego her swift action on her next turn. Alif has already "spent" his swift action for this turn by using an immediate action immediately before it to block Princess Doom's readied action in the same round; ergo he cannot respond if Princess Doom chooses to interrupt his turn with another immediate action. Granted, she cannot use an immediate action to demoralize as before unless he opens his eyes. If he keeps his eyes closed, he imposes the blinded condition on himself until he opens them again as an immediate action (no sooner than Princess Doom's next turn).

Does this make sense? Do either of you have any questions before we unpause?

A_S
2014-01-09, 01:29 PM
OOC: Your ruling about whether an immediate action can interrupt a readied action is clearly correct: Any time is any time. If an immediate action can interrupt another immediate action, it can interrupt a readied action.

However, I believe the Princess should be able to take an immediate action, as the readied action triggers when it is no longer her turn. From the description of the ready action (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialInitiativeActions.htm#ready):
The ready action lets you prepare to take an action later, after your turn is over but before your next one has begun.
Her initiative count does indeed change, but there's no indication I see that this means the action is a continuation of her previous turn; it just affects the order in which she will take actions on subsequent turns.

Is there text I have missed somewhere that indicates otherwise?

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-09, 01:49 PM
OOC: For what it's worth, I believe A_S is correct about being able to take an immediate action despite using Abrupt Jaunt earlier, since even if the conclusion if the readied action counts as the continuation of P. Doom's turn, the immediate action would resolve prior to its trigger, which would still be Alif's turn. But at this point, we're deep enough into the rabbit hole that I will happily go with whatever you declare as DM.

Just let me know when things are resolved to your satisfaction, so I know to add Alif's actions or lack thereof.

OMG PONIES
2014-01-09, 02:56 PM
OOC: You're both in agreement and you both make sense. Barring anything else, then, I guess Princess Doom can still take an immediate action after her readied action. I always thought your turn resolved at your new initiative, then your initiative changed starting with your next turn...I don't see that in the rules. I can see it now, folks using immediate action abilities once on their turn and then readying an action every turn just to get a second immediate action on their new initiative...:smallfrown:

However, I said barring anything else above. I asked in the RAW thread what kind of action eye closing is, and here's Curmudgeon's response:

A 312 A free action.
Each character within range of a gaze attack must attempt a saving throw (which can be a Fortitude or Will save) each round at the beginning of his turn.

An opponent can avert his eyes from the creature’s face, looking at the creature’s body, watching its shadow, or tracking the creature in a reflective surface. Gaze attacks aren't strictly attacks in the standard D&D sense, because they don't happen on the "attacker's" turn. Averting or closing your eyes to avoid a gaze attack happens only when it's your turn. An action which takes negligible time but is performed on your turn is the characteristic of a free action. Immediate actions, by contrast, have a strict limit of one use per round, and there's no such restriction here; you can avert your eyes from multiple gaze attacks, and doing so does not prevent you from taking swift/immediate actions later in that turn.

Based on that, Alif should only be able to close or open his eyes on his turn, as many times as he'd like. Granted, Princess Doom could still use an immediate action to interrupt him or ready an action to go off before he closed his eyes, but since it's still his turn he could use another free action to close them again. Princess Doom is then out of immediate actions and thus cannot use another against Alif, whose eyes are closed. If his eyes are open when it becomes Princess Doom's turn, he cannot close them in response to her demoralization attempt. Thus, my ruling in round X was incorrect and Alif should not have been able to close his eyes on Princess Doom's turn.

Based on all of the above, Alif cannot close his eyes in attempts to block Princess Doom's readied action, since upon triggering the readied action it becomes her initiative. He also could not use an immediate action to block her demoralization attempts in prior rounds.

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-09, 03:04 PM
OOC: Hm, not sure I agree with Curmudgeon's reasoning on that last one (the bolded text actually refers to when you make a save from a gaze attack, not when you shut your eyes), but I wasn't actually able to find anything that lists its action type, so who knows - free action makes as much sense as anything. If that's what we are going with, how would you like to resolve the previous round, where Alif closed his eyes and forced the Lesser Celerity use?

OMG PONIES
2014-01-09, 03:40 PM
OOC: If it's all well and good, I'd like to credit Princess Doom back the resource expended and continue on from here with her readied action triggering upon Alif's signal to the shadow. Princess Doom explicitly stated that her readied action would go off if Alif started to do anything, including shutting his eyes. Therefore, there was no time when he was not cowering that happened to be on his turn, affording him the opportunity to shut his eyes. The rest of the actions already listed still would have happened as indicated; the only difference is that Alif could not use an immediate action to close his eyes and thus Princess Doom did not need to use an immediate action to ensure her demoralization attempt was successful.

More relevant rules text, for the curious:

Each creature within range of a gaze attack must attempt a saving throw, which can be a Fortitude save or a Will save, each round at the beginning of its turn. The DC usually equals 10 + 1/2 the gazing creature’s HD + its Cha modifi er. A potentially affected creature can avert or cover its eyes to gain a better chance to be unaffected by the gaze attack.

Interestingly, the above mentions only covering and averting--there is now no language about closing, but it can be assumed to be covering via eyelids :smalltongue:. The language makes it sound like this choice is made at the same time as the saving throw--the beginning of the affected creature's turn.

Each round, a creature that is averting its eyes has a 50% chance of not needing to make a saving throw.

An opponent can shut its eyes, turn its back on the gazing creature, or wear a blindfold. In these cases, the opponent doesn’t need to make a saving throw.

The saving throw discussed would normally happen at the beginning of its turn, lending credence to the idea that the choice to cover one's eyes occurs then as well. These quotations were all under "Passive Gaze Attacks," with the following under "Active Gaze Attacks."

A gazing creature can actively use its gaze as a standard action. The creature simply chooses a target that it has line of sight to and is within range, and that opponent must attempt a saving throw.
If the target has chosen to defend against the gaze as discussed earlier, the opponent has a chance to avoid needing to attempt the saving throw.

The inclusion of the language "If the target has chosen to defend against the gaze as discussed earlier..." makes it sound like the decision must be made prior to the time the gazer actively uses their gaze attack--namely, on the affected creature's turn. I know we're not dealing with a gaze attack, but since I used that earlier as precedent I feel it still fits.

Alif doesn't even get a chance to close his eyes, as it seems she had been waiting for him to move a muscle.

Princess Doom's readied action goes off, leaving Alif cowering for one round and shaken for one round thereafter.

As Alif cowers in fear at the Princess' catlike reflexes, the shadow attempts to find its foe within the snow. Luckily, the creature doesn't need Alif's signal to find Princess Doom; instead, it closes with the woman and attacks, sapping her strength as Alif merely watches, frozen in terror.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/9591/nw2z.jpg

Beginning of round 5: Princess Doom is up!

@A_S:
Gain one charge back on your wand of Lesser Celerity. The shadow's attack deals 4 STR damage to Princess Doom unless she is immune to ability damage or uses Abrupt Jaunt to avoid the attack.

@Piggy:
Sorry, no movement for Alif in round 4 due to Princess Doom's readied action. She stipulated that the action go off if Alif does anything, including closing his eyes.

A_S
2014-01-09, 04:14 PM
OOC: I also find Curmudgeon's reasoning on that unconvincing. But I can't find anything to indicate that it should be immediate, either. I think there's just no listed action type for closing your eyes in the rules.

If that is indeed the ruling:
The princess uses Abrupt Jaunt to avoid the shadow's attack, teleporting to Q4.

Once her turn begins:

Not an action: 5-foot step to R3.
Standard action: Use SLA.

[roll0]
[roll1] (if needed)
[roll2] (1-20 misses)
[roll3]
[roll4] (if needed)

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-09, 04:23 PM
Alif cowers in fear, but the shifting snow prevents the blast from landing true.

Unseen, the shadow stirs...

Alif cowers.

Starting with 1 as northwest and rolling 1d8 for the shadow's movement: [roll0]

That will put the shadow southwest beyond the range of the storm. Once it gets out of it, it can see that Princess Doom is nowhere to be found, so is it safe to assume it goes back into the snow? With an Int of 6 and a Wis of 12, it's no genius, but it's brighter than most ogres...

That concludes my (in)actions.

A_S
2014-01-09, 10:18 PM
Princess Doom is content in her current location. She opts for a suggestive eyebrow-wiggle to keep Alif from getting any ideas.

Move action: Demoralize Alif.

Standard action: Blast Alif.

[roll0]
[roll1] (if needed)
[roll2] (1-20 misses)
[roll3]
[roll4] (if needed)
*edit*

A gazing creature can actively use its gaze as a standard action. The creature simply chooses a target that it has line of sight to and is within range, and that opponent must attempt a saving throw.
If the target has chosen to defend against the gaze as discussed earlier, the opponent has a chance to avoid needing to attempt the saving throw.
The inclusion of the language "If the target has chosen to defend against the gaze as discussed earlier..." makes it sound like the decision must be made prior to the time the gazer actively uses their gaze attack--namely, on the affected creature's turn. I know we're not dealing with a gaze attack, but since I used that earlier as precedent I feel it still fits.
This is the most convincing thing I've seen so far. As you say, if there were a way to defend yourself that didn't need to have been done earlier (like closing your eyes as an immediate action), it seems like it would have been mentioned here. Lacking anything better to go on, I'm sold.

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-09, 10:52 PM
The shadow continues to travel through the mists, unable to find the wily form of Princess Doom. Alif trembles in fear, unable to move except to mouth out one tremulous word:

"Mercy...."

If the shadow is only traveling along the cardinals and intercardinals, there is actually no chance it can run into Princess Doom at her current location before its duration expires.

As my only immediate action abilities are defensive in nature, there is nothing I can do to break the fear lock, so no point prolonging the inevitable. Thanks for the match, A_S. Kick some butt in future rounds.

A_S
2014-01-09, 11:04 PM
Understood; thanks for the match.

PONIES, does concession end the match, or do I need to throw out a bunch or rolls to figure out how many rounds it takes to whittle Alif down to -10?

Also, I've got a bit of housekeeping to do on my sheet before my next fight; expect a PM shortly.

OMG PONIES
2014-01-10, 07:57 AM
As Alif chokes out his plea for clemency, the crowd starts to boo and jeer. "Come on, snowman--it's not even springtime yet!" one shouts. "Ah hells, he's already melting away!" cackles another. They didn't come here for an allegory of the struggle between revenge and forgiveness present in every soul; they came to see some blood and guts! If they wanted that other nonsense, they'd be sitting in a temple instead of an arena. The crowd calls for blood!

A helpless character is paralyzed, held, bound, sleeping, unconscious, or otherwise completely at an opponent’s mercy

OOC: At this point, the crowd demands that Princess Doom kill Alif. Since he has begged for mercy, we can say that Alif is "otherwise completely at an opponent's mercy," and therefore helpless. She can continue whittling him down as before, or she can attempt to finish him off via a coup de grace.

A_S
2014-01-10, 03:17 PM
The Princess shakes her head sadly. "Mercy!" Where do they come up with this stuff?

With a disturbingly businesslike demeanor, she begins the long, slow task of finishing what she started.

OOC: Since the Princess' damage with her gauntlets is pathetic, and delivering a coup de grace with her spear requires moving out of sight/intimidation range (and possibly into a square where the shadow could still find her), I'm going to avoid any potential ambiguity there and stick with what I've been doing. For the next X rounds, she uses her move action to maintain the lockdown and her standard action to blast Alif. Let me know how many rounds it takes for Alif to die:

[roll0]
[roll1] (if needed)
[roll2] (1-20 misses)
[roll3]
[roll4] (if needed)

[roll5]
[roll6] (if needed)
[roll7] (1-20 misses)
[roll8]
[roll9] (if needed)

[roll10]
[roll11] (if needed)
[roll12] (1-20 misses)
[roll13]
[roll14] (if needed)

[roll15]
[roll16] (if needed)
[roll17] (1-20 misses)
[roll18]
[roll19] (if needed)

[roll20]
[roll21] (if needed)
[roll22] (1-20 misses)
[roll23]
[roll24] (if needed)

[roll25]
[roll26] (if needed)
[roll27] (1-20 misses)
[roll28]
[roll29] (if needed)

[roll30]
[roll31] (if needed)
[roll32] (1-20 misses)
[roll33]
[roll34] (if needed)

[roll35]
[roll36] (if needed)
[roll37] (1-20 misses)
[roll38]
[roll39] (if needed)

[roll40]
[roll41] (if needed)
[roll42] (1-20 misses)
[roll43]
[roll44] (if needed)

[roll45]
[roll46] (if needed)
[roll47] (1-20 misses)
[roll48]
[roll49] (if needed)

[roll50]
[roll51] (if needed)
[roll52] (1-20 misses)
[roll53]
[roll54] (if needed)

[roll55]
[roll56] (if needed)
[roll57] (1-20 misses)
[roll58]
[roll59] (if needed)

[roll60]
[roll61] (if needed)
[roll62] (1-20 misses)
[roll63]
[roll64] (if needed)

[roll65]
[roll66] (if needed)
[roll67] (1-20 misses)
[roll68]
[roll69] (if needed)

[roll70]
[roll71] (if needed)
[roll72] (1-20 misses)
[roll73]
[roll74] (if needed)

[roll75]
[roll76] (if needed)
[roll77] (1-20 misses)
[roll78]
[roll79] (if needed)

[roll80]
[roll81] (if needed)
[roll82] (1-20 misses)
[roll83]
[roll84] (if needed)

[roll85]
[roll86] (if needed)
[roll87] (1-20 misses)
[roll88]
[roll89] (if needed)

[roll90]
[roll91] (if needed)
[roll92] (1-20 misses)
[roll93]
[roll94] (if needed)

[roll95]
[roll96] (if needed)
[roll97] (1-20 misses)
[roll98]
[roll99] (if needed)

[roll100]
[roll101] (if needed)
[roll102] (1-20 misses)
[roll103]
[roll104] (if needed)

[roll105]
[roll106] (if needed)
[roll107] (1-20 misses)
[roll108]
[roll109] (if needed)

[roll110]
[roll111] (if needed)
[roll112] (1-20 misses)
[roll113]
[roll114] (if needed)

[roll115]
[roll116] (if needed)
[roll117] (1-20 misses)
[roll118]
[roll119] (if needed)

[roll120]
[roll121] (if needed)
[roll122] (1-20 misses)
[roll123]
[roll124] (if needed)

*edit* Crossed out the auto-misses due to miss chance or natural 1's. Don't know Alif's AC, though, so I can't be sure on the rest.

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-10, 03:34 PM
After a solid minute of furious blasting, the terrified Alif falls dead.

The crit on round 8 sends him unconscious, and the 8 points on round 10 kills him.

A_S
2014-01-10, 03:45 PM
Princess Doom raises her spear in salute to her fallen opponent, then does a little dance on her way back to her corner of the arena, ready to face her next challenger.

OMG PONIES
2014-01-11, 10:02 AM
The crowd cheers as they force their marionettes to dance the dance of death. Princess Doom wins!