PDA

View Full Version : PCs & Other Planes

Grayson01
2014-01-03, 09:17 PM
Okay when PCs are travling to other planes can the be dismissed with the dismissal Spell?

Flickerdart
2014-01-03, 09:37 PM
Yes - all creatures become (Extraplanar) when travelling on a plane that's not their home plane.

Grayson01
2014-01-03, 11:51 PM
is it D@@@ move as DM to use that on PCs?

Slipperychicken
2014-01-04, 12:07 AM

Depends. Tell us more about the game. Things like what level the PCs are, what builds they're using, what the campaign is like, optimization level, and so on.

If they have easy/cheap access to planar travel, and they're facing enemies who could plausibly cast it, then it makes sense (and is basically a more forgiving Save-or-Lose spell).

Zanos
2014-01-04, 12:13 AM
If every person they encounter happens to be walking around with dismissals prepared in all their slots, that can seem a little arbitrary.

As long as it makes sense it should be fine, and fifth level spells is the level where save-or-lose effects usually come into place anyway. I'd rather get sent back to the material than be turned to ice or whatever.

Of course if your PC's aren't of the level where planar travel is easy and they just finished a big quest to find a portal/get a plane shift and they get sent back immediately than that's different.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-04, 12:35 AM
If every person they encounter happens to be walking around with dismissals prepared in all their slots, that can seem a little arbitrary.

As long as it makes sense it should be fine, and fifth level spells is the level where save-or-lose effects usually come into place anyway. I'd rather get sent back to the material than be turned to ice or whatever.

Of course if your PC's aren't of the level where planar travel is easy and they just finished a big quest to find a portal/get a plane shift and they get sent back immediately than that's different.

I'm pretty sure level 1 is where save or lose spells come into play. Like sleep and color spray.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-04, 12:47 AM
You can block being dismissed as long as you don't mind giving up the ability to teleport. Dismissal is a form of dimensional travel so anything like dimensional anchor will keep you in place. There's also a feat that allows you to count as a native of whatever plane you happen to be on and the horizon walker class feature.

Vaz
2014-01-04, 07:36 AM
I'm pretty sure level 1 is where save or lose spells come into play. Like sleep and color spray.

But there's rarely the optimization available to make it "Just Lose". A Cleric BBEG (assuming 10th level vs 8th level, say), can easily get himself an impressive DC for Dismissal that makes weak Will Save targets easy to remove from the equation; even an optimized Cleric can be forced to make a 50/50 chance of saving against such an effect, which can be achieved consistently.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-04, 02:02 PM
That's a good point.

Brookshw
2014-01-04, 02:12 PM

No more so than throwing plane shift at them on the plane, maybe slightly less so. You've split the party and thrown in a logistics headache. Personally I wouldn't do it unless the party had access to sending, scry, greater teleport x2 + planeshift x2, or greater planeshift x2. Ie, they can regroup after the fight. Alternatively maybe if I planned on dismissing them all though that's pretty ham fisted.

Grayson01
2014-01-04, 06:57 PM
It was more of a general question no current game at the moment, I acctaully can't find any 3.5 players a DMs.