PDA

View Full Version : Beguiler Character Development

Galathir
2007-01-20, 01:09 AM
Hey guys, I am a long time lurker, but might start posting a little more regularly. Anyway, I am interested in playing a changling beguiler in an upcoming campaign. We are starting at level 10 so I am planning to go beguiler 5/mindbender 1/beguiler4. I'm not really that interested in advice on the mechanical aspect of the beguiler, (though if you have any, feel free to share them) but I was wondering if anyone had played one and had any suggestions on roleplaying them. I don't really have any information on the campaign (homebrewed) yet so I can't really help you on that.

Here are some ideas I was thinking about.

I was thinking of him as a part-time con man, who has a semi Robin Hood complex, namely taking from the rich and giving to the poorer, namely himself. The character isn't evil so much, but more neutral, convincing himself that he is teaching his victims a valuable lesson for a small (or not so small) fee. He has never had any real lasting relationships, even on a professional basis which will make it interesting when he meets up with the rest of the adventuring party.

Anyway, do any of you have some ideas? Your input is much appreciated.

Hario
2007-01-20, 02:08 AM
Are you the Eberron Changeling or the MM2 Changeling, it matters one is a fey/elf race of abandoned people, the other change their appearence at will and are a subrace of dopplegangers. It's probably the eberron but you never know...

Galathir
2007-01-20, 02:28 AM
Sorry, it is a MM2 changeling.

Ashes
2007-01-20, 04:32 AM
Sorry, it is a MM2 changeling.

What Changeling is that? I've just checked my MMII and I saw no mention of any "Changeling"?

EDIT: Checked the MM, MM2, MM3, FF, MoF. Couldn't find the Changeling at all. Help?

Hario
2007-01-20, 07:51 AM
Its an elf type creature which has been replaced with a human child, basically they are elves with a weird elves, they are also in the quintessencial elf book I think but that's 3.0. I forget which MM its in but its one of them.

Mewtarthio
2007-01-20, 04:48 PM
You mean like the actual myths of Changelings? You know, children swapped out with fey duplicates?

jjpickar
2007-01-20, 05:14 PM
Dang, Beguilers are good. Whatever you use you'll probably be the most powerful character in the party.

Galathir
2007-01-20, 07:03 PM
Changeling is from page 24 of MM3.

Ashes
2007-01-21, 12:03 AM
I know *that* one. But you said you were talking about another one? The one in the MM3 is the same as the Eberron Changeling.

FdL
2007-01-23, 12:44 AM
I made a beguiler once. She was a playful woman who traveled around living by her wits and doing as she pleased. She ended up fitting into the power levels of the cities she visited by gaining important status, but not so much as to be dangerous for her. Anyway, whenever she got discovered, she simply left and reinvented herself, name, hair color and all.

I have a question regarding mechanics. For level 3 IIRC, with that feature that lets you learn an aditional spell, I chose one that makes an enemy flat footed. It seemed like a good adition to the mechanics of the class. Does it seem like a good idea to you?