PDA

View Full Version : New race: A strange take on Gnomes

The Cats
2014-01-03, 10:39 PM
Hello! I don't know what PEACH means but judging from examples I assume it's short hand for 'Help me make this better' so I'm being all PEACHy here!

I have found myself unemployed (booo) and so, with all this time on my hand have decided to get world-creaty. These Gnomes (or heck, you could call them Shmeerps if you want. They don't have much to do with traditional Gnomes) are one of the palyable races in my not-even-close-to-finished world. They're not very central but I sort of fixated on the idea so decided to whip them up in detail.

Note: I'm new to homebrew. This is my first ever attempt. I decided to go for it because of the whole unemployed thing. (booo) I don't actually expect this to get played, it's purely for fun to stretch my imagination muscles. That said, I'd still like it to be playable (and not horribly unbalanced) if the opportunity ever comes up. Oh yeah, this is made for Pathfinder, by the way.

So, I present to you: Gnomes, but different.

History
Gnomes are the living extensions of Antonal, God of Life, Fertility and Nature and began to appear all over the world shortly after Antonal’s spontaneous creation. The original Gnomes, coming into life spontaneously, just as their Divine Father did, emerged from the forests of ancient world in the midst of a peaceful golden age. The Gnomes were created from a Life God and so they spread life wherever they went, causing population surges worldwide and were welcome with open arms by all civilized races of the time. For 180 years the Gnomes enjoyed this freedom until the Daemon Invasion shattered their golden age.

In an attempt to create a weapon to stave off the fiends, the Eloi captured a large group of Gnomes and performed arcane experiments on them, warping them into the bestial, sub-human goblinoids. Antonal raged at this affront to his very being and withdrew his blessing from the Eloi. No Gnome was to set foot within their lands. This caused the Eloi population, already dwindling from Daemon siege, to plummet, but it also meant the Gnomes had to abandon the only nation that could have protected them from the fiends. The Daemon army rampaged freely through their population, and Gnomes became all but extinct.

Almost 1000 years later, after the fall of the Daemons and the coming of Dragons, Mankind rose to prominence, and with their rise came the return of the Gnomes, walking happily out of the forests as though they had always been there.

Appearance
Gnomes are varied as wildly as life itself and come in a plethora of different breeds. The only commonality between these types of Gnomes is their small size and general humanoid shape. Few Gnomes are taller than three feet but their weight varies depending on their breed. Avians have been known to weigh as little as 15lbs fully grown while Deeps and Draconics can get up to 55lbs.

Most Gnome breeds appear as anthropomorphic animals or very small humanoids. The two most human Gnomes in appearance are the Common and Deep Gnomes.
Common Gnomes regularly resemble miniature versions of the humans they live among while deep gnomes are hairless and pale, adapted for living in sunless caverns.
The less human types of Gnome include Vulpine, Feline, Amphibious, Serpentine, Verminous, Simian, Boreal, Avian and Draconic.

There are eleven known modern breeds but rumours abound that countless others live in the unexplored wilderness.

Society
Gnomes have no central government or Gnome-exclusive settlement. They live wherever life abounds, except those places shunned by Antonal, and are generally welcome by all benevolent races, though the more disturbing breeds like Verminous and Boreal are less welcome than others.

While the first Gnomes were created by Antonal from whole cloth, this is by no means their usual method of creation anymore. Gnomes make sure they are great examples of the fertility they spread through the world and proliferate rapidly. While some spontaneous creation still occurs in the wild places of the world, most Gnomes are born naturally. Their gestation is not much shorter than that of humans but twins births are very common for Gnomes and, once birthed, the parents waste no time on working on the next couple. A single child in a Gnome family is very much an oddity.

A Gnome’s parents’ breed is of no concern in determining that of their offspring. The manner of the child’s conception is the sole deciding factor. Usually this relies on the child being conceived in a certain location, but there are some other factors, like a specific event occurring immediately prior to the act.

While Antonal made his Gnomes prolific, they are not long-lasting. A Gnome comes to maturity at the age of 12 and few live past 50 years without arcane assistance. As such, they are always busy, trying to get as much living into the short years they have.

A Gnome is always up for an adventure and will leap at any chance for excitement. Once Gnome children fully mature they are urged by their parents to travel, to live life to the fullest. When coming to a fork in the road, a Gnome will wonder why he is bothering with roads and head off in a random direction through the bushes.

Alignment and Religion
All Gnomes are borne of Antonal and all naturally worship Him through the proliferation of their race, but few are active in spreading his word otherwise. Oddly enough for a race of such obviously divine origin, Gnomes are not an overly religious folk. Most believe making children and urging others to do so is service enough for their patron, and in this they are correct. Antonal is not a demanding God.

Gnomish clergymen are rare and as likely to be preaching the word of Antonal as that of any other deity. This is not out of disloyalty but out of the Gnomes’ skewed perspective of priorities: “Antonal is Life, Life is everywhere. This other God is good too, but he is not nearly as everywhere as life! I’ll help him out.” Despite this odd point of view, the idea that their worship is an act of altruism for the deity, Gnomes who find religion do so with the same fervor they treat anything else in life.

Being creations of life and nature, those are values all Gnomes hold highly and it would indicate something truly wrong with a Gnome for him to promote the ideals of any God of destruction, pestilence or death.

Most Gnomes are chaotic neutral, leaning to good.

Names
Gnomes traditionally ask a neighbor who is either with child or trying to become pregnant to name their children so Gnomish names can come from any culture of any race the Gnomes are living among.

Crunch

I built the race using this guide. (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2knsd?PF-Race-Building-Guide#1)

Gnomes
Small Outsider (Native)
20 ft speed (-4)
Language: Common, Sylvan. A character with a high intelligence score can choose any language except for outsider or elemental languages and secret languages as bonus languages.

Many Forms: Gnomes come in many shapes. Choose one Gnome Type (see below) to determine your appearance, ability scores and additional racial traits.

Life Loving: Gnomes get a +2 racial bonus to saves vs. negative energy, death effects and constitution checks to stabilize when under 0 hp (2)

Gnome Shifting: Choose one other Gnome type besides Ancient Gnome. You can change into that Gnome type once per day. While in that shape you lose all racial traits specific to your gnome type and benefits of feats that require your gnome type as prerequisites and gain all racial traits specific to the chosen gnome type. This includes ability score bonuses and penalties. (if your second form is common gnome, choose which ability score and skill to put the +2 bonuses into at character creation. This bonus doesn’t change) Lasts 1min/character level. You can choose to revert back to your natural form any time before the duration expires. Any physical features not specific to your Gnome type carry over to your shifted type and people familiar with you can recognize you when you are shifted. Shifting is a full round action that provokes an attack of opportunity. Reverting back is a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity. (5)
These are the general stats and traits that all breeds of Gnome share. (The numbers after the traits indicate the point cost using the guide linked above. General traits cost 3 points, each Breed's specific traits cost 7)
Thoughts: I really don't know if shifting is worth only 5 points. It seems like a pretty powerful ability. I recognize it makes things complicated. Pretty much necessitates keeping two separate character sheets, but the idea of changing between breeds is one of the things I really like about the race. Any thoughts on streamlining or what the actual point cost would be?

Common Gnome
Common Gnomes are called as such not because they are the most numerous type of Gnome but because they are the type most often seen living in human communities. They result when a Gnome is conceived in or near a populated center or inside the home of a human.
The specific appearance of a Common Gnome can be as varies as the Humans they emulate, with skin color ranging from pale pink to dark brown and hair from red and curly to straight and black.
Most communities welcome Common Gnomes as they are believed to bring good luck.

+2 racial bonus to an ability of your choice. Common Gnomes are as varied as the humans they live alongside.
Low light vision (1)
Lucky: +1 racial bonus to all saves (4)
Skilled: +2 racial bonus to one skill of your choice (2)
10 pts

Notes:Based on humans, obvious from their variable ability bonus.

Vulpine Gnome
Vulpine Gnomes are small, anthropomorphic foxes. They result when a Gnome is conceived at a particularly strong junction of the planet’s leylines.
They are a rare breed of Gnome with a strong affinity for arcane magic.

+2dex +2cha -2con. Vulpine Gnomes are nimble and friendly, but lack endurance.
Low light vision (1)
Natural attack: bite 1d4 (3)
Love of Magic: Any beneficial arcane spell cast on Vulpine Gnomes with a duration other than instantaneous has it’s duration increases by 1 unit (rounds, minutes, 10 minutes, etc). This increases by 1 unit at 3rd level and again every two levels thereafter. (2)
Bushy Tail: A Vulpine Gnome’s tail is so bushy, she can hold it close to her body to gain a +2 racial bonus to saving throws vs. negative effects of cold weather. She can also use her tail as a bedroll and blanket(1)
10 pts

Notes: Based on Kitsune. I was thinking of making the Love of Magic bonus increase each level but that might be too much at low levels. Bushy tail I just though was fun.

Amphibious Gnome
Amphibious Gnomes vary in appearance. Most look decidedly frog-like but there are some who look more like a slimy-skinned lizard or salamander. When a Gnome is conceived in a swamp or underwater, an Amphibious Gnome is the result.

+2dex +2wis -2str. Amphibious Gnomes are quick and intuitive but have slight frames.
25’ swim speed (2)
Darkvision 60ft (2)
Camoflauge: +4 racial bonus to stealth when in marshes and forests (1)
Amphibious: Can breathe both air and water (2)
Prehensile Tongue: Amphibious Gnomes have a tongue with a range of 10 feet. They may pick up light objects (5lbs) make slight of hand checks, perform steal or disarm combat menuevers, or make melee touch attacks with their tongues. (4)
Cold Blooded: Vulnerable to cold (-4)
10 pts

Notes: Verrrry loosely based on Grippli. Prehensile tongue is cool on paper. Anyone know how well it actually works? If it's too good I'll likely replace it (or just drop it and the cold vulnerability to balance)

Serpentine Gnome
Serpentine Gnomes have scaly skin and yellow or violet eyes. Their limbs often have hidden joints, allowing them to bend at odd angles.
Serpentine Gnomes are a very rare breed and are only born when conceived by a gnome who has recently overcome a venomous snakebite.

+2str +2cha -2int. Serpentine Gnomes are powerful and have a confidence borne of ignorance.
Low light vision (1)
Serpentine senses: +4 racial bonus to perception for detecting noises and aromas, +2 racial bonus to sense motive (2)
Immune to poison (2)
Constricting limbs: +4 racial bonus to CMB when grappling, +4 racial bonus to CMD vs grapple (2)
10pts

Note: I thought it'd be based on Nagaji but turned out nope. Is the +4 CMB and CMD to grapple worth the 2 points?

Verminous Gnome
Verminous Gnomes, also known as Rodent Gnomes, look like anthropomorphic rats or mice. They are not often welcome in human settlements as they are believed to bring plague and infestations with them.
Verminous Gnomes are conceived in areas of filth, such as landfills or sewers.

+2 dex +2 int -2 str. Verminous Gnomes are quick and clever but physically weak.
Darkvision 60ft (2)
Sharp Nose: Verminous Gnomes have the scent ability. (4)
Skulk: +2 racial bonus to stealth (1)
10 pts

Notes: Ratfolk. Thoughts on scent?

Simian Gnome
Simian Gnomes are covered in thick fur and their facial features appear unevolved. They are normally only found in the deep jungle or woodland where they must be conceived and rarely bother with human notions like clothing or good manners.

+2 dex -2 Cha (-2) Simian Gnomes are agile but often annoying.
30’ climb speed (4)
Low light vision (1)
Prehensile tail (4)
10 pts

Notes: Vanarans.

Feline Gnome
Feline Gnomes are graceful, anthropomorphic cats with slitted pupils and soft fur. They are often accepted into human society because of their strange, graceful beauty.
Feline Gnomes are another rare breed and only result when two Gnomes come together in an area of woodlands or plains to after an adrenaline-filled event like a great battle or chase to conceive them.

+2 dex +2 cha -2 wis. Feline Gnomes have fast reactions and quick wit but rarely think things through
30’ movement speed (4)
Low light vision (1)
Natural Hunter: +2 racial bonus to perception, stealth and survival (3)
Curious: -2 penalty to will saves vs compulsion to open things (-1)
10 pts

Notes: Catfolk. I think Curious is hilarious.

Avian Gnome
Avian Gnomes are covered in feathers that can have multiple hues and speak through a small beak that always results in a slight lisp. The beak can be an advantage though, as it doesn’t show much emotion, and, combined with their shap, small eyes, give Avian Gnomes some of the best poker faces around.
Avian Gnomes must be conceived at a dizzying height or on a precarious perch.

+2 dex +2 wis -2 con Avian Gnomes are fast and observant but fragile
Low light vision (1pt)
Glide: Avian Gnomes can use their feathered arms and legs to glide. They can make a DC 15 Fly check to fall safely from any height without taking falling damage, as if using feather fall. When falling safely, they may make an additional DC 15 Fly check to glide, moving 5 feet laterally for every 20 feet he falls(4)
Keen eye, clever tongue: +2 racial bonus to perception and bluff (2)
10pts

Notes: Tengu.

Draconic Gnome
Draconic Gnomes are one of the newer breed and, sadly, are often ignored or disdained by the creatures that had a hand in forming them. While they lack the mighty claws, wings and maws of their namesake, Draconic Gnomes maintain their dragon ‘sires’ energy affinity and scale color.
Whenever a gnome is conceived in any proximity to a dragon, a Draconic Gnome will be the result.

+2 dex -2 con -2 str (-4) Draconic Gnomes are fast but weak.
Darkvision 60ft (2)
Dragon scales: Choose a color for your scales. Gain resist 5 of the corresponding energy type. Black or copper: acid. Blue or bronze: electricity. Red or gold: Fire. White or silver: Cold (4)
Dragon Breath: Choose 15’ cone or 30’ line. Deal 2d6 energy damage of the same type chosen with Dragon scales with the chosen target type 1/day Reflex DC 10+character level+con mod for half(4)
Draconic Hatred: +1 racial bonus to attack vs evil outsiders (1)

Notes: Kobold. Breath weapon at first level, too much?

Boreal Gnome
Boreal Gnomes are a curiosity in that they cannot be conceived. Instead, they randomly spring forth from the undergrowth when the body of a deceased Gnome is buried in a heavily forested area. They rarely have dealings with other races, or even other Gnomes and can often be found living a hermit’s life, deep in the woods that birthed them.
Their appearance is based entirely on the vegetation surrounding the corpse they were fathered from. Some could appear as bark-skinned folk with twigs and foliage about, others may look like a humanoid mass of briars.

+2 dex -2 cha (-2) Boreal Gnomes are swift but strange and unnerving.
Darkvision 60ft (2)
Cannot Speak: Boreal Gnomes cannot speak. Their only starting language is Sylvan, which they understand but cannot verbalize. They gain bonus languages as normal. (but still cannot speak them) They cannot cast any spell that has a verbal component. (-4)
Plantlike immunities: Immune to mind affecting effects and sleep (6)
Plantlike body: DR 3/slashing or bludgeoning (4)
Camoflauge: +4 racial bonus to stealth when in thick vegetation (1)
10 pts

Notes: Vegepygmy. No idea what immunity to mind affecting effects is actually worth. Ditto DR. Slashing and bludgeoning is common, but still. Cannot speak requires any caster to take silent spell asap. (and improved silent spell, a homebrew feat I'll show you later)

Deep Gnome
Deep Gnomes are believed to be the youngest of the breeds. They began to appear just a few years after the allied Humans, Dwarves and Chromatic Dragons discovered the Deep Caves and started using them as a penal colony.
Deep Gnomes appear similar to Common Gnomes but differ in that they are completely hairless and have gray, mottled skin, adapted for living in sunless caverns.
It’s expected that Deep Gnomes result when a gnome is conceived near a human settlement in the Deep Caves but that is not certain, as the only Deep Gnomes to come forth so far have been of the spontaneous creation variety.

+2 wis -4 cha (-4) Deep Gnomes are insightful but surly and unpleasant.
Darkvision 120ft (3)
Spell Resistance 11+class level (6)
Deep Dweller: +2 racial bonus to stealth and survival. These bonuses increases to +4 when the Deep Gnome is underground. (3)
Light sensitivity (-1)
10pts

Notes: Watered down Svirfneblin

Ancient Gnome
Ancient Gnomes date back to a time before Antonal shunned the Eloi for twisting his Gnomes into goblinoid abominations. Their appearance and characteristics are based on those of the Eloi, the long dead progenitor race of the Elves.
No new Eloi Gnomes have been created since their race’s affront to Antonal and the Ancient Gnomes that still exist do so through prodigious use of arcane magic. They are rare in number and dwindling, usually hidden away somewhere they can sustain themselves with the longevity granting spells they need to survive.

+2 cha +2 int -2 wis -2str -2con (3) Ancient gnomes are forceful and intelligent but are filled with hubris and are physically weak.
Low light vision (1)
Skilled shifter: Choose one additional Gnome type. You can use your Shape Change ability to change into that gnome type as well. (4)
Ancient Magic: Ancient Gnomes have the following spell like abilities: 3/day Mage hand, 1/day Detect magic, light, prestidigitation (6)
Ancient Enmity: +1 attack v Strix and Evil Outsiders (2)
19 pts
Notes: More powerful than the other breeds. Probably won't be playable but make a neat Gnome BBEG?

So yeah. Ideas, comments, constructive criticism? I am wholly expecting this to turn out to be not even close to the clever, balanced creation I imagined I was making, so have at me!

I'll post some race and breed specific feats in the next chunk.

The Cats
2014-01-03, 10:40 PM
Alternate Racial Traits

Fertile Healer: It is your joy to spread and maintain life wherever you go. Gain a +2 racial bonus on heal checks. When you have ten ranks in heal increase that bonus to +4. In addition, after residing in any community for at least one month, the pregnancy rate in that community doubles for the remainder of your stay. This trait replaces the Life Loving racial trait.

Swift Shifter: You can change your shape exceptionally quickly. It only takes you a standard action to transform into your alternate form and a swift action to revert to your original form with your Gnome Shifting spell-like ability. This trait replaces the Life Loving racial trait.

Mix and match Gnome: You are magically attuned to more than one aspect of Antonal. Choose two racial traits: Skilled: +2 racial bonus to a skill of your choice (common), Gain a bite natural attack that deals 1d4 damage. This is a primary attack.(vulpine), 25’ swim speed (amphibious), Immune to poison (serpentine), Darkvision 60ft (vermin), 20’ climb speed (monkey), 25’ movement speed (feline), Keen eye, clever tongue: +2 racial bonus to perception and bluff(avian), Dragon Breath: Choose either 15’ cone or 30’ line. 1d6 energy damage of the same type chosen with Dragon scales with the chosen target type 1/day Reflex DC 10+character level+con mod for half(draconic), Plantlike body: DR 2/slashing or bludgeoning(boreal), Deep Dweller: +2 racial bonus to stealth and survival (this bonus increases to +4 underground)(deep). You cannot choose a trait you already have. You gain the chosen traits. You gain a physical feature related to the chosen traits. For example, a Common Gnome with a 25’ swim speed and DR 2/slashing and bludgeoning would have webbed fingers and toes and thick, barklike skin. This trait replaces the Gnome Shifting spell-like ability.

Racial Feats
Expert Shifter
Prerequisite: Gnome, Gnome Shifting spell-like ability
Benefits: Choose one additional Gnome type that is not Ancient Gnome. You can use your Gnome Shifting ability to change into that Gnome type as well. You qualify for feats that require the gnome types you can change into and the traits gained while in those types as prerequisites, but only gain the benefit of those feats while changed into the required type. You must meet all other prerequisites for those feats.
Special: You can take this feat up to two times. Each time you must choose an additional Gnome type to change into. You must be character level 5th to take this feat a second time.

Notes: Ugh, the wording. You can turn into another gnome, and you can take that gnome and your other alternate gnome's specific feats, but you only get to use them when you turn into that gnome.

Improved Shifter
Prerequisite: Gnome, Gnome Shifting spell-like ability
Benefits: You can use your Gnome Shifting spell-like ability one additional time per day.
Special: You may take this feat up to three times.

Perfect Shifter
Prerequisites: Gnome with Expert Shifter x2 and Improved shifter or Ancient Gnome with Skilled Shifter racial trait, character level 15th
Benefits: You maintain your Racial ability score bonuses and penalties when shifted. Your shifted forms’ racial ability bonuses stack with your original racial ability bonuses but you do not gain your shifted forms’ racial ability penalties. In addition, if you have the following racial traits or feats in your natural form you can choose to not lose them in your shifted form: Lucky, Pass for Human(common), Bushy Tail, Magical Tail (Vulpine), 25’ swim speed, Toxic Skin (Amphibious), Immune to poison, Venomous Fangs (Serpentine), Scent, Rat Form, Swarm Form (Verminous), 30’ Climb Speed, Prehensile Toes (Simian), 30’ Movement speed, Black Cat, Nine Lives (Feline), Keen eye, Clever Tongue, Glide or Fully Feathered (Avian), Dragon Breath, Improved Dragon Breath, Greater Dragon Breath (Draconic), Plantlike Body, Plant Form, Improved Plant Form, Greater Plant Form (Boreal), Spell Resistance, Quick Digger (Deep), Ancient Magic (Ancient). Your shifted form gains physical features of your natural form relating to the traits or feats carried over. For example, a Vulpine Gnome would keep her tail in shifted form and a Feline Gnome would keep her fur.

Notes: Looks pretty powerful to me but takes three feats and 15 levels to get there

Extra Features
Prerequisite: Gnome, Mix and Match Gnome racial trait, must be taken at 1st level
Benefits: Choose a third racial trait from Mix and Match Gnome. You gain that trait and a physical feature relating to that trait.

Pass for Human
Prerequisite: Common Gnome
Benefits: You gain a +10 bonus on disguise checks to appear as a human child. In addition you act as though under the Cultural Adaptation spell, focusing on the culture of human you are disguised as, for the duration of your disguise. This is a divination effect.

Notes: The 'this is a divination effect' is to make sure it pings on detect magic.

Magical Tail
Prerequisite: Vulpine Gnome, Bushy Tail racial trait
Benefits: You gain a new spell-like ability, each usable twice per day, from the following list, in order:
disguise self
charm person
misdirection
invisibility
suggestion
displacement
confusion
dominate person.
For example, the first time you select this feat, you gain disguise self 2/day; the second time you select this feat, you gain charm person 2/day. Your caster level for these spells is equal to your Hit Dice. The DCs for these abilities are Charisma-based.
In addition, each time you take this feat the racial bonus provided by the Bushy Tail racial trait increases by +1
Special: You may select this feat up to eight times. Each time you take it, you gain an additional ability as described above as well as an additional tail.

Notes: Classic Kitsune feat. Just added the bushy tail bonus. Thought it was cute.

Toxic Skin
Requirements: Amphibious Gnome
Benefits: A number of times per day equal to your Constitution modifier, as a swift action, you can create a poison that can be applied to a weapon or delivered as a touch attack. Alternatively, you can smear the poison on your own body as a standard action, affecting the first creature to hit it with an unarmed strike or natural weapon. The poison loses its potency after 1 hour. you are immune to your own poison. Gnome Poison: Skin or weapon—contact or injury;save Fort DC 13 + 1/2 your character level plus your Constitution modifier; frequency1/round for 6 rounds; effect 1d2 Dexterity damage; cure 1 save.

Notes: Grippli toxic skin racial trait but improved a little.

Venomous Fangs
Requirements: Serpentine Gnome, Immune to Poison racial trait, character level 5th
Benefits: You gain a bite natural attack that deals 1 damage and inflicts Gnome Poison. This is a primary attack. If you already have a bite natural attack, use that bite’s damage. Gnome Poison: Skin or weapon—contact or injury;save Fort DC 13 + 1/2 your character level plus your Constitution modifier; frequency1/round for 6 rounds; effect 1d2 Dexterity damage; cure 1 save.

Rat Form
Requirements: Verminous Gnome, Character level 5th
Benefits: You can use your Change Shape spell-like ability to transform into a Rat. This functions as Vermin Shape II except you can only use it to become a tiny or small rat.

Swarm Form
Requirements: Verminous Gnome, Rat form, character level 9th
Benefits: You can use your Shape Change spell-like ability to transform into a Rat Swarm. Your strength and charisma reduce to 2 regardless of bonuses but your ability scores and hit points otherwise remain the same. You do not gain the filth fever special ability. All rats in the swarm must stay within the same 10 foot area except those that are killed. Your equipment melds into you and is unusable while in Swarm Form. The duration of your Shape Change spell-like ability decreases to 1round/character level when using Swarm Form.

Notes: I need help! I don't even know!

Opposable Toes
Requirements: Simian Gnome, must be taken at 1st level
Benefits: You can hold objects with your feet as though they are hands. If you are holding something in one foot your land speed is reduced by half and you take a -5 penalty to all dex based skills. If you are holding something in both feet you are considered prone. In order to make an attack with or otherwise use a weapon or other object wielded in your foot you must succeed a DC 10 acrobatics check to stay balanced on one foot, unless you are considered prone. If you fail this check you are unable to take that action and you fall prone.
Special: This feat qualifies a character for the Multiweapon Fighting feat.

Notes: It's a pretty big advantage, but I feel like the penalties balance it. That acrobatics check is going to be hard to hit with the -5 penalty at low levels.

Black Cat
Prerequisites: Feline Gnome
Benefits: Once per day as an immediate action, when you are hit by a melee attack, you can force the opponent who made the attack to reroll it with a –4 penalty. The opponent must take the result of the second attack roll. This is a supernatural ability.
Special: If you take this feat and don't already have all black fur, your fur turns completely black when you takes this feat.

Notes:Yet another anthropomorphic race's already made feat.

Nine Lives
Prerequisites: Feline Gnome, Black Cat
Benefits: Once per day as an immediate action, when you are hit with a critical hit, you can force the opponent who made the attack to reroll the critical confirmation with a -4 penalty. The opponent must take the result of the second roll. This is a supernatural ability. In addition, you automatically stabilize when brought below 0 hit points.

Notes: this time with a second level!

Fully-Feathered
Prerequisites: Avian Gnome, Character level 5th
Benefits: You gain a 60 feet (average) fly speed. Fly becomes a class skill for you. You get a +2 racial bonus on Fly checks.
Special: When you take this trait you lose the Glide racial trait.

Notes: This is probably a Tengu feat. I didn't check.

Mixed Scales
Prerequisites: Draconic Gnome, Dragon Scales racial trait, must be taken at 1st level.
Benefits: Choose an additional color for your dragon scales racial trait. You gain the benefits of both this color and the color you originally chose. This additional color also applies to your Dragon Breath racial trait.

notes: Just a Kobold feat, nothing to see here.

Improved Dragon Breath
Prerequisites: Draconic Gnome, Dragon Breath racial trait, character level 11th
Benefits: You may use your Dragon Breath breath weapon twice per day and the damage increases to 4d6 points of energy damage. You can choose whether to attack in a 15; cone or a 30’ line when you make a breath attack.

Greater Dragon Breath
Prerequisites: Draconic Gnome, Improved Dragon Breath, character level 17th
Benefits: Your can use your Dragon Breath breath weapon four times per day and the damage increases to 6d6

Notes: I have no idea what I'm doing.

Improved Silent Spell
Prerequisites: Cannot Speak racial trait, Silent Spell
Benefits: Spells cast with Silent Spell do not take up a higher spell slot or have a longer casting time.

Notes: Makes a Boreal Gnome spellcaster viable with a two-feat tax

Plant Form
Prerequisites: Boreal Gnome, character level 5th
Benefits: You can use your Change Shape spell-like ability to transform into a plant. This functions as the spell Plant Shape I.

Improved Plant Form
Prerequisites: Boreal Gnome, character level 11th
Benefits: Your plant Form ability functions as the spell Plant Shape II. You gain an additional use of Change Shape per day. You can only use Change Shape with your Plant Form ability with this additional use.

Greater Plant Form
Prerequisites: Boreal Gnome character level 15th
Benefits: Your plant form ability functions as the spell Plant Shape III.

Notes: Same as with the fire breath: I just don't know...

Quick Digger
Prerequisites: Deep Gnome, Deep Dweller racial trait, character level 3rd
Benefits: You gain a burrow speed of 15’. You can burrow through sand, dirt, clay, gravel, or similar materials, but not solid stone. You must be wielding a proper digging tool (like a shovel or pick) to burrow.

Notes: The feats I based this on had a prereq feat but the speed was 20', it left no trace and didn't require a tool so I think it's a fair tradeoff.

inuyasha
2014-01-03, 10:54 PM
Wow, this is an interesting (and creative) take on gnomes. They seem pretty balanced as far as I can see. I like the ancient 'nomes and yes I agree they would make a nice BBEG. and the other breeds seem pretty good too :)

Also, are fan made gnomes appreciated or would you rather not have those?

Altogether, very cool, very creative, very well done. :smile:

The Cats
2014-01-03, 11:01 PM
Hey thanks pal! Well like I said, this is all just for funsies so feel free to throw some of your own creations out there if you want. Just no promise if they'll ever get used!

inuyasha
2014-01-03, 11:05 PM
Hey thanks pal! Well like I said, this is all just for funsies so feel free to throw some of your own creations out there if you want. Just no promise if they'll ever get used!

Ok :)

And I never really expect my homebrew to get used (I mean, it's good, but even I've hardly used my own stuff) so don't worry about that :smile:

Here's one:

Aberrant gnomes
When conceived near an aberration, gate to a chaotic plane, or other abominable thing, the variety of the gnome gegnome (pardon the pun) tends to go haywire, creating an ugly, mottled, snot nosed...thing with twisted limbs and swirled hair. Aberrant gnomes are wild and weird, but not dumb as they appear, in fact they are smarter than most due to their minds being "opened" to the flows of chaos, granting bursts of knowledge when it is needed.

+2 constitution, +2 intelligence, -2 dexterity, aberrant gnomes are very smart, but their bones and flesh have taken weird shapes. And compared to other gnomes, aberrant ones are very hardy.

Immunity to fear, aberrant gnomes see weird things in their heads enough to where things don't scare them any more

Spell resistance 11+class levels

Light sensetivity

so how is it?

The Cats
2014-01-04, 05:41 AM
ewwwww! Neato. You could probably remove one of the ability penaltiesand add a bonus and it'd be more in-balance with the others.

Start with 10 points
+2mental +2physical -2either ability array costs 0.
Remove a +2 gives 2 points,
add a -2 gives 2 points
so +2mental -2physical -2mental array makes 14 points available.

Immunity to one type of effect is about equal to half a feat so costs 2 points.

Spell resistance of 6+ character level is a feat. An additional +5 SR costs half that so 6 points total.

Light sensitivity is a minor drawback so add one point.

Then take the three points from the universal Gnome traits

10+4-2-6+1-3= 4 points leftover, which gives you just enough to change the stat array back to standard.

Now I'm just wondering what Gnome was horny enough to diddle with a mindflayer around the corner.

Debihuman
2014-01-04, 10:36 AM
Hello! I don't know what PEACH means but judging from examples I assume it's short hand for 'Help me make this better' so I'm being all PEACHy here!

Welcome to our fold! Sorry to hear about your job woes but we're glad to help fellow homebrewers)

PEACH stands for Please Edit and Critique Honestly. I'll put my comments in red and please note that while I'm quoting you, I am also editing things.

Base speed for Small creatures is normally 20 feet and thus wouldn't incur a penalty. You need to fix your numbers based on this. 20 feet speed for a Medium character is slow so that's where the -4 would come from

General Traits

Gnomes
Small Outsider (Native)
20 ft. speed
Language: Common, Sylvan. A character with a high intelligence score can choose any language except for outsider or elemental languages and secret languages as bonus languages.

Many Forms: Gnomes come in many shapes. Choose one Gnome Type (see below) to determine your appearance, ability scores and additional racial traits.

Life Loving: Gnomes get a +2 racial bonus to saves vs. negative energy, death effects and constitution checks to stabilize when under 0 hp (2)

Gnome Shifting: Choose one other Gnome type besides Ancient Gnome. You can change into that Gnome type once per day. While in that shape you lose all racial traits specific to your gnome type and benefits of feats that require your gnome type as prerequisites and gain all racial traits specific to the chosen gnome type. This includes ability score bonuses and penalties. (if your second form is common gnome, choose which ability score and skill to put the +2 bonuses into at character creation. This bonus doesn't change) Lasts 1 minute/character level. You can choose to revert back to your natural form any time before the duration expires. Any physical features not specific to your Gnome type carry over to your shifted type and people familiar with you can recognize you when you are shifted. Shifting is a full round action that provokes an attack of opportunity. Reverting back is a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity.

These are the general stats and traits that all breeds of Gnome share. (The numbers after the traits indicate the point cost using the guide linked above. General traits cost points, each Breed's specific traits cost 7)

Thoughts: I really don't know if shifting is worth only 5 points. It seems like a pretty powerful ability. I recognize it makes things complicated. Pretty much necessitates keeping two separate character sheets, but the idea of changing between breeds is one of the things I really like about the race. Any thoughts on streamlining or what the actual point cost would be?

Unfortunately, I am not as familiar with PF as I am with 3.5. Shifting from one Gnome race to another isn't nearly that powerful. Do you shift into a same form each time? Can you use this ability to change gender?

Common Gnome

+2 racial bonus to an ability of your choice. Common Gnomes are as varied as the humans they live alongside.
Low light vision (1)
Lucky: +1 racial bonus to all saves (4)
Skilled: +2 racial bonus to one skill of your choice (2)
10 pts

Notes:Based on humans, obvious from their variable ability bonus.
I have no idea why you did this. Why base gnomes on human variable ability bonus? This bonus should add +1 point count to any race that isn't human.

Vulpine Gnome
+2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Con. Vulpine Gnomes are nimble and friendly, but lack endurance.
Low light vision (1)
Natural attack: bite 1d4 (3)
Love of Magic: Any beneficial arcane spell cast on Vulpine Gnomes with a duration other than instantaneous has its duration increased by 1 unit (rounds, minutes, 10 minutes, etc). This increases by 1 unit at 3rd level and again every two levels thereafter. (2)
Bushy Tail: A Vulpine Gnome’s tail is so bushy, she can hold it close to her body to gain a +2 racial bonus to saving throws vs. negative effects of cold weather. She can also use her tail as a bedroll and blanket(1)
10 pts

If her tail is long enough to wrap around her, it should give her a penalty to be grappled.

Amphibious Gnome
+2 Dex, +2 Wis, -2 Str. Amphibious Gnomes are quick and intuitive but have slight frames.
25 ft. Swim speed (2)
Darkvision 60 ft. (2)
Camoflauge: +4 racial bonus to stealth when in marshes and forests (1)
Amphibious: Can breathe both air and water (2)
Prehensile Tongue: Amphibious Gnomes have a tongue with a range of 10 feet. They may pick up light objects (5 lbs.) make slight of hand checks, perform steal or disarm combat maneuvers, or make melee touch attacks with their tongues. (4)
Cold Blooded: Vulnerable to cold (-4)
10 pts[/quote

Having a prehensile tongue also makes it vulnerable to sunder attacks.

[quote]Serpentine Gnome
+2 Str, +2 Cha, -2 Int. Serpentine Gnomes are powerful and have a confidence borne of ignorance.
Low-light vision (1)
Serpentine senses: +4 racial bonus to perception for detecting noises and aromas, +2 racial bonus to sense motive (2)
Immune to poison (2)
Constricting limbs: +4 racial bonus to CMB when grappling, +4 racial bonus to CMD vs grapple (2)
10pts

Note: I thought it'd be based on Nagaji but turned out nope. Is the +4 CMB and CMD to grapple worth the 2 points?

If Scent is worth 4 points shouldn't Serpentine senses be worth more?

This is all I have time for right now. Good luck.

Debby

inuyasha
2014-01-04, 01:07 PM
Ok I changed the -2 charisma to a +2 constitution :) does that work?

The Cats
2014-01-04, 03:29 PM
Welcome to our fold! Sorry to hear about your job woes but we're glad to help fellow homebrewers)

PEACH stands for Please Edit and Critique Honestly. I'll put my comments in red and please note that while I'm quoting you, I am also editing things.

Base speed for Small creatures is normally 20 feet and thus wouldn't incur a penalty. You need to fix your numbers based on this. 20 feet speed for a Medium character is slow so that's where the -4 would come from

According to the guide I'm using the reduced speed isn't built in. (Gnomes are listed as having -4 points due to their speed)

Unfortunately, I am not as familiar with PF as I am with 3.5. Shifting from one Gnome race to another isn't nearly that powerful. Do you shift into a same form each time? Can you use this ability to change gender?

You shift into the same form and don't change gender. You can use feats to add extra forms to your shifting. It gives access to a second set of traits and fiddles with your ability scores, so a Vulpine gnomes could spend a few minutes a day with a prehensile tongue. I suppose I was overthinking it a little. 5 points sound about right?

I have no idea why you did this. Why base gnomes on human variable ability bonus? This bonus should add +1 point count to any race that isn't human.

Because Gnomes reflect their surroundings, and an awful lot of them are surrounded by humans.
According to the guide, it's worth 0 points if the race is at least half human. Common gnomes are Antonal's reflection of humanity. Thus, kinda/sorta half-human. Alternatively I can remove low-light vision to balance but I don't think that's necessary.

If her tail is long enough to wrap around her, it should give her a penalty to be grappled.

Clever, but I'm not sure how this works. I wouldn't say the tail is exceptionally long, just a mass of bushy fur. In any case, how would that prevent grappling?

Having a prehensile tongue also makes it vulnerable to sunder attacks.

Ah! I hadn't considered that! Looks a lot less powerful now. Probably require some strong healing magic to put back together.

If Scent is worth 4 points shouldn't Serpentine senses be worth more?

Scent gives a whole new, additional form of perception while serpentine senses gives a situational bonus to one skill and a flat +2 to another. I don't think the two compare. No matter how good your perception is, it's still just a human(oid) nose. You could smell the traces of toxic gas in the air, you couldn't track a creature or smell one trying to sneak up on you. Unless he was dang stinky, of course.

6thEdition
2014-01-06, 05:55 AM
Hey, where's my illusion gnome? :smallannoyed::smallsmile:

The Cats
2014-01-08, 07:25 PM
Heeeey, I got a job! Two jobs actually! Woot woot!

So I got rid of boreal gnome's DR and gave it bonuses to DC against other things plants are immune to.

I also made a gnome summoner archetype and a gnome prestige class. Both are terrible, unbalanced, needlessly complicated and dumb. Check them out!

Antonal's Faithful (gnome summoner archetype)

Antonal’s Faithful (Gnome Summoner Archetype)

Alignment: Antonal’s faithful cannot be Lawful or Evil.

Deity: Antonal’s faithful must worship Antonal.

Divine Casting: Antonal’s faithful casts divine spells drawn from the Antonal’s faithful spell list. This otherwise functions as the summoner’s spells ability. (Antonal’s Faithful spell list will be similar to the inquisitor spell list. Haven’s put it together yet)

Limited Evolutions: Antonal’s Faithful’s Eidolon has access to a limited list of evolutions based on the Summoner’s Gnomish breed.

The following evolutions are available to all breeds of Eidolon:

1 point: Bite, Claws, Improved Damage, Improved Natural Armor, Low-Light Vision, Magic Attack, Mount, Pull, Push, Reach, Resistance, Skilled, Slam,
2 points: Ability Increase, Alignment Smite, Channel Resistance, Head, Limbs, Trample, Trip
3 points: Celestial Appearance, Sacrifice
4 points: Large

The following evolutions are only available to Eisolon’s with Summoners of the corresponding breed:

Common: 1 point: Climb, Hooves, Pincers 2 Points: Gore, Grab, Rend, Weapon Training 3 points: Blindsense, Damage Reduction 4 points: Fast Healing, Blindsight

Vulpine: 1 point: Basic Magic, Pounce, Unnatural Aura 2 points: Energy Attacks, Minor Magic, Rend 3 points: Frightful Presence, Major Magic, See in Darkness 4 points: Dimension Door, Incorporeal Form, Ultimate Magic
Special: Vulpine Eidolon’s gain the Tail evolution for free at 1st level.

Amphibious: 1 point: Gills, Pincers, Sting, Swim, Tail, Tail Slap, Tentacle 2 points: Grab, Poison 3 points: Damage Reduction, See In Darkness 4 points: Fast Healing

Serpentine: 1 point: Scent, Sting, Swim, Tail, Tail Slap 2 points: Constrict, Grab, Immunity, Poison, Rake, Tremorsense 3 points: Blindsense, Frightful Presence, Swallow Whole 4 points: Blindsight, Fast Healing
Special: Serpentine Eidolons must take the Serpentine base form. (Unless this is the Eidolon’s alternate form)

Verminous: 1 point: Pincers, Scent, Sting, Tail, Tail Slap, Tentacle, Unnatural Aura 2 points: Energy Attack, Immunity, Keen Scent, Poison, Shadow Blend, Shadow Form, Undead Appearance 3 points: Blindsense, See in Darkness, Web 4 points: Blindsight, Lifesense, No Breath

Simian: 1 point: Basic Magic, Climb, Pounce, Scent 2 points: Immunity, Grab, Minor Magic, Rake, Rend, Weapon Training 3 points: Damage Reduction, Major Magic 4 points: Fast Healing, Ultimate Magic
Special: Simian Eidolons must take the Biped base form. (unless thi si the Eidolon’s alternate form)

Feline: 1 point: Climb, Mount, Pounce, Scent, Tail, Tail Slap 2 points: Grab, Keen Scent, Rake, Rend, Shadow Blend, Shadow Form 3 points: Frightful Presence, See In Darkness 4 points: Dimension Door

Avian: 1 point: Mount, Pounce, Wing Buffet 2 points: Energy Attacks, Flight, Grab 3 points: Blindsense, Damage Reduction 4 points: Blindsight, Fast Healing

Draconic: 1 point Basic Magic, Mount, Sting, Tail, Tail Slap, Unnatural Aura, Wing Buffet 2 points: Flight, Gore, Immunity, Minor Magic 3 points: Frightful Presence, Major Magic, Swallow Whole 4 points: Breath Weapon, Spell Resistance, Ultimate Magic

Boreal: 1 point: Climb, Pincers, Unnatural Aura 2 points: Energy Attacks, Grab, Immunity, Poison, Tremorsense 3 points: Blindsense, Burrow, Damage Reduction 4 points: Blindsight, Fast Healing, No Breath

Deep: 1 point: Basic Magic, Pincers Scent 2 points: Energy Attacks, Gore, Keen Scent, Minor Magic, Rend, Shadow Blend, Shadow Form, Tremorsense, Undead Appearance 3 points: Blindsense, Burrow, Major Magic, See In Darkness, Web 4 points: Incorporeal Form, Lifesense, Spell Resistance, Ultimate Magic

Celestial Summons: Antonal’s Faithful cannot apply the fiendish template to any of his summoned creatures.

Shared Shifting: At 4th level, Antonal’s Faithful can, as a standard action, expend one use of his Gnome Shifting spell-like ability to shift his Eidolon into an alternate form. The Eidolon’s alternate form uses the same stats and base form as it’s original form but has it’s own arrangement of evolutions. The Eidolon’s alternate form’s evolutions are set at the same time the base form’s evolutions are set and can only be changed any time the base form’s evolutions can also be changed. The Eidolon’s alternate form’s evolutions are limited to those available to the Summoner’s alternate Gnomish breed. This transformation lasts one minute per Summoner level. The summoner can dismiss the transformation at any time before the duration expires as a swift action. This ability replaces the Aspect ability.

Shifting Master: Antonal’s Faithful gain an extra use of their Gnome Shifting spell-like ability at 6th level and every six levels thereafter. Antonal’s faithful can choose a second alternate Gnomish Breed he can shift into at 18th level. His Eidolon gains a second alternate form corresponding to the Summoner’s new alternate breed. The Eidolon cannot gain additional alternate forms in any other way. This replaces the Greater Aspect ability.

Twin Shifting: When using his Twin Eidolon ability, Antonal’s Faithful can choose to assume the shape of any of his Eidolon’s forms.

Antonal’s Faithful gain the following abilities at different levels than an ordinary Summoner: He learns Shield Ally at 6th level, Maker’s Call at 8th level and Transposition at 10th level.

Gnome Shifting Paragon (Gnome PrC)
Uh... how do you insert tables into messages?

Debihuman
2014-01-08, 09:06 PM
Having a bushy tail doesn't prevent grappling it makes it easier for someone else to grapple her. It's a penalty not a bonus.

Debby