PDA

View Full Version : Best MTV Unplugged Session?

Amotis
2007-01-20, 01:26 AM
I would say these...

1. Nirvana (w/ the meat puppets). The standard. If you can't reconize the passion and emotion the entire band puts into a performance just months before Kurt's death, if you don't like this session, you're just trying too hard.

2. Bob Dylan. Vocals, music, session musicians, everything is spot on. And it helps that he churns out his best (and all time best) version of Knockin' on Heaven's Door during this set. A complete masterpiece, only second because Dylan isn't as assesaible then Nirvana. A random side note: Awesome lighting too.

3. Alice in Chains. Layne, looking like all Hell, putting on a beautiful show. Listen to the first track, Nutshell, and you will just be drawn in by everything that screams and flows from this set.

4. KISS. Yeah, I may not like them, but thier show was bloody awesome that people still talk about today.

5. Eric Clapton. Again, may not like him, but it was a great show and some very good and very memoriable versions of his songs.

Runner Up(s): Tie between REM and Utada Hikaru. Both were kinda out of the blue and very very good.

TinSoldier
2007-01-20, 01:29 AM
The only two that I'm familiar with are Nirvana and Eric Clapton. I would have a hard time choosing which one was better as they were both excellent.

Amotis
2007-01-20, 01:33 AM
Oh, another side note. Broken Social Scene, though not putting an official unplugged session, had a full acoustic concert for a french radio show. It would be in my top 5 if it was official.

General Leitmann
2007-01-20, 12:31 PM
I will say Eric Clapton ftw, then probably R.E.M. for the runner up.

smellie_hippie
2007-01-20, 03:35 PM
Un-Ledded. Led Zeppelin unplugged. It was monumental enough to have the name of the program changed. Zep... FTW.

Amotis
2007-01-20, 03:44 PM
It was okay, but Plant's storytellers' session was awesome. Much better then their unplugged session. His version of Tim Buckley's Song to the Siren is wonderful.