PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly: TENTACLES! (and bites and gores and claws and monk attacks)

GhengisConrad
2014-01-04, 12:23 AM
Everything and anything except Unearthed Arcana is on the table here. But we are pure RAW. When in doubt, it's not legal.

Don't worry about magic items and the such, as those are not a 'baked in' quality, and its only the classes, races, and feats you're in control of here.

I would love some advice! Thoughts, comments. Glaringly obvious omissions of must-have abilities.

The whole idea is to sneak or otherwise bullrush myself into a position to just drop down on people, and then unleash a fury of attack death upon them.

Oh, and also to be tough as nails to boot.

Kind of like a catapault filled with invisible smart bomb... tanks ... .... title and analogy still WIP

Also, I had hoped to use unarmed swordsage instead of martial monk so I could wear light armor, but in the end decided the bonus feats and flurry of blows outweighed whatever light armor item I might receive. And that if I was going to hold out hope for good items, monks have 'armor bonus' items available....

I really need just one extra BAB before becoming 20th level, so I can have that extra iterative attack.

The whole idea is for me to be all sneaky, come within distance, riding on a dire bat, and then BAMPF! A brazilian natural attacks. Then BAMPF! I'm off the bat, and the other side of you, flanking you and destroying you.

I am not above reworking the whole thing.

note: the number after the class is the BAB gained, and the things mentioned after it are HD feats, or bonus feats/abilities of note/key to my build concept.

Anthropomorphicic Bat
1) Feral / 0
2) Half Minotaur / 0
3) ACF* Ranger/ 1 / Stealthy / Mourning Mutate
4) Totemist / 0
5) Totemist / 1 / Wild Cohort
6) ACF* Ranger / 1 / Multiattack
7) Chaos Martial Monk/ 0 / Mounted Combat
8) Crinti Shadow Marauder/ 0 / Inhuman Reach
9) Crinti Shadow Marauder/ 1
10) Crinti Shadow Marauder/ 1
11) Crinti Shadow Marauder/ 1 / DeepSpawn
12) Crinti Shadow Marauder/ 0 / ShadowPounce
13) Incarenate / 0
14) Umbral Disciple / 0 / Open Chakra Shoulders
15) Umbral Disciple / 1
16) Umbral Disciple / 1 / Hide in Plain Sight / Full Concealment
17) Incarnate / 1 / Shape Soulmeld (Totem Avatar) / Totem Avatar Shoulder Bind
18) Fighter / 1 / Combat Reflexes
19) Binder / 0
20) Binder / 1 / Improved Binding

* Ranger Variants: Dragon #310, Trade Track Feat for Stealthy Feat; Complete Champion pg 50 Spiritual Connection, Use 'speak with animals' and 'speak with plants' as caster level equal your ranger level up to 3 times per day; Champions of Valor pg 41 Fangshields Ranger; Replace Combat Style with Multiattack feat, improved animal companion for ranger - one half ranger level plus 2

GhengisConrad
2014-01-04, 12:28 AM
At first blush, I really could stand to lose umbral disciple... though somehow shadowpounce without a concealment or hide in plain sight or sneak attack seems... wrong...

Metahuman1
2014-01-04, 12:41 AM

Um, am I going crazy, or didn't this topic exist before this and I gave input on it?

GhengisConrad
2014-01-04, 12:43 AM
Different build. Different Thread.

Many key aspects have changed.

Namely, switching pounce and battlejump out for ShadowPounce.

Metahuman1
2014-01-04, 01:43 AM

Ok.

If it's for the same DM, here's an idea.

Take Leadership, get a stealth focused Bard Cohort. Silverbrow Human. With Sub-sonics, Darkstalker, Pumped Hide/Move Silently, 2 levels of seeker of the song, Immunity to None-leathal damage anyway you can get it (Maybe if all else fails by being a Warfordged Silverbrow Human), Optimized inspire courage, and a dragon heritage that get's you the most observe and hardest to resist/be-immune too damage type you can get. Maybe with a custom researched spell via spell craft to by-pass resistance and immunity to that spell.

When you go, he goes, and hides, and actives his music, both inspire courage and dragonfire inspiration.

And you get a rock solid bonus to hit and a massive bonus to damage that get's nightmarish to face with all those attacks.

Coidzor
2014-01-04, 01:56 AM
You have Totem Avatar as a soulmeld from your levels in Totemist, so you don't need to get it from the Shape Soulmeld feat unless you're intending to bind it to a chakra from a non-Totemist class, and it appears that you're taking a feat to open up your shoulder chakras rather than having them opened up by Incarnate or a PrC progressing Incarnate.

Maybe if all else fails by being a Warfordged Silverbrow Human

Err, what? :smallconfused:

Crake
2014-01-04, 01:58 AM
and then BAMPF! A brazilian natural attacks.

If you want a brazilian natural attacks, you might wanna go to a waxing parlor.

Jokes aside though, if you really wanna get an absolute boatload of natural attacks, and your group is pure raw: Go changeling unarmed swordsage 6/warshaper 1

At this point, you can start growing infinite natural attacks, one per move action you spend to be correct. If you get a hat of disguise, you can illusion away the hundreds of tentacles slam attacks that have now grown out your back, and voila, next time an enemy gets within full attack range, arbitrarily high number of attacks, ho!

GhengisConrad
2014-01-04, 09:54 AM
You have Totem Avatar as a soulmeld from your levels in Totemist, so you don't need to get it from the Shape Soulmeld feat unless you're intending to bind it to a chakra from a non-Totemist class, and it appears that you're taking a feat to open up your shoulder chakras rather than having them opened up by Incarnate or a PrC progressing Incarnate.

Thats because the feat "Open Chakra" does not also grant you the epic feat "Extra Chakra Bind" as a bonus feat. And I need the Behir Gorget for a 1d8 + 1d4 lightning damage bite attack.

But you do bring up an interesting point anyway. If I could snatch a bite attack from elsewhere, it would save me a feat and get me that shoulder bind earlier....

CIDE
2014-01-04, 11:06 AM
Go changeling unarmed swordsage 6/warshaper 1

At this point, you can start growing infinite natural attacks, one per move action you spend to be correct.

No, you really don't. That's not how Warshaper works. It's not how it's ever worked. Warshaper entry and Illithid Savant entry seem to be the most widely misread entries with the misinformation somehow accepted.

You are limited to the number of natural attacks you can make. There is no X number of Tentacles+X number of claws+X number of gores where X=rounds of prep. You get one natural attack of that type. So you spend a move again to make a tentacle attack. Next round you try to make another tentacle and it fails and instead it automatically increases the existing tentacle a size category. Presumably this process halts at Colossus in size. You repeat it with a claw attack (this gets iffy if 2 claws is "one" attack as some monster entries treat it). Same thing for every time you attempt to make another one.

It's still an awesome ability in the right hands. Especially on a changeling since you can hold it forever and constantly run around with half a dozen Colossal sized natural attacks in addition to whatever unarmed strike/manufactured weapon you can carry. That said it's still a long shot from Pun-Pun style infinite attacks shenanigans that everyone seems to think it is.

Mithril Leaf
2014-01-04, 11:53 AM
Wouldn't you really rather just be doing absurd damage with every unarmed strike rather than having the hassle of tons and tons of natural attacks? If not all I can offer is Person Man's Exceptional Guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7066595).

Crake
2014-01-04, 03:21 PM
No, you really don't. That's not how Warshaper works. It's not how it's ever worked. Warshaper entry and Illithid Savant entry seem to be the most widely misread entries with the misinformation somehow accepted.

You are limited to the number of natural attacks you can make. There is no X number of Tentacles+X number of claws+X number of gores where X=rounds of prep. You get one natural attack of that type. So you spend a move again to make a tentacle attack. Next round you try to make another tentacle and it fails and instead it automatically increases the existing tentacle a size category. Presumably this process halts at Colossus in size. You repeat it with a claw attack (this gets iffy if 2 claws is "one" attack as some monster entries treat it). Same thing for every time you attempt to make another one.

It's still an awesome ability in the right hands. Especially on a changeling since you can hold it forever and constantly run around with half a dozen Colossal sized natural attacks in addition to whatever unarmed strike/manufactured weapon you can carry. That said it's still a long shot from Pun-Pun style infinite attacks shenanigans that everyone seems to think it is.

The infinite attacks thing should have been in blue, sorry.

CIDE
2014-01-04, 11:31 PM
The infinite attacks thing should have been in blue, sorry.

I gotta apologize too. My response to Warshaper stuff when serious (I.E. in black vs blue) is also kind of a knee-jerk reaction. I see it and I get tunnel vision and jump on it like a dog. Doesn't help that discussions of infinite natural attacks has gotten the class banned and no matter what I did could I reverse it; they had it stuck in their mind. So any time part of the game is ruined for me such as with this awesome flavorful class I get a little miffed.