PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Vivisectionist + Carnivalist = ? (or, "An Army of Arbiters")

beforemath
2014-01-04, 12:28 AM
I was reading around and found the Carnivalist Rogue class, a class that trades sneak attack damage for a familiar who can sneak attack. This led me to look for a class better at sneak attack (for multiclassing), and I found the Vivisectionist Alchemist, which traded bombs for sneak attack. I found that the text mentioning that Alchemist levels stack when determining the level of your familiar was curiously absent from the Tumor Familiar ability, indicating that you could possess the Tumor Familiar as an additional familiar.

I then decided that I needed a character with an army of sneak attacking Arbiters (or Augers).

I thought starting out would look something like this:

Vivisectionist 1 -- sneak attack (1d6), feat (?), trait (magical knack: Alchemist)
Carnivalist 1 -- familiar
Carnivalist 2 -- feat (evolved familiar: reach), sneak attack (2d6, familiar sneak attack), bardic performance
Vivisectionist 2 -- discovery (tumor familiar)
Vivisectionist 3 -- sneak attack (3d6), feat (extra familiar (3p))
Vivisectionist 4 -- discovery (?)
Vivisectionist 5 -- sneak attack (4d6), feat (improved familiar)
Vivisectionist 6 -- discovery (?)

Now, a liberal (fair?) reading of the Improved Familiar feat states that I'm able to gain an improved familiar at any time that I'm able to gain a new familiar Assuming that you'd have to pay to replace your familiars once you get the improved familiar feat, it would cost 7*200*3 = 4200gp to replace your familiars with Arbiters (have hands, can regenerate) at level 7.

Since your Arbiters are tiny, you should cast Enlarge Person on them (with your Share Spells ability) and make it permanent on all three for 7500gp so that they can flank easily.

Why I'm approaching you, dear readers, is that I'd like to take this idea to its logical conclusion so that I can leave this idea as theory and never be tempted to actually play it/annoy my DM with it.

So, what do you think?