PDA

View Full Version : need help, I want to build Inspector Gadget!

Deca4531
2014-01-04, 12:47 AM
the idea literally just popped into my head, creating a character with several hidden compartments and miscellaneous gadgets and tools for every occasion. At first glance I thought maybe a war forged artificer but there may be a better way to build it. Its far outside my normal go off character creation so I would love to hear some suggestions as far as some here or classes I could put this together.

geekintheground
2014-01-04, 12:53 AM
warforged seems agiven for fluff and ability reasons. and artificer WOULD make sense... but couldnt you do this with sorcerer and fluff it as mechanical abilities? when/if you run out of spells you could say your batteries ran out and you need to recharge them with rest.

Deca4531
2014-01-04, 01:28 AM
warforged seems agiven for fluff and ability reasons. and artificer WOULD make sense... but couldnt you do this with sorcerer and fluff it as mechanical abilities? when/if you run out of spells you could say your batteries ran out and you need to recharge them with rest.

that is a creative idea but I would prefer 2 use fluff as a last resort.

Vaz
2014-01-04, 08:21 AM
Warforged with Battlefiest, enchanted with the sizing and morphing enchantment to become a weapon of any size, and take the form of any. Have it take the form of a Masterwork tool of any kind as you will; it can take the form of an Improvised Weapon.

hamishspence
2014-01-04, 08:44 AM
Renegade Mastermaker from Magic of Eberron is a PRC that allows non-warforged to add components to themselves. By 10th level they are a Living Construct and can take warforged-only Feats.

Osiris
2014-01-04, 09:58 AM
Warforged artificer does make sense.

Have the Warforged have wand chambers in his FINGERS so he can have things JUST POP OUT OF HIS ARMS, FINGERS, ORIFICES, YOU NAME IT!

Krobar
2014-01-04, 12:28 PM
Tinker Gnome?

Deca4531
2014-01-04, 03:00 PM
Warforged with Battlefiest, enchanted with the sizing and morphing enchantment to become a weapon of any size, and take the form of any. Have it take the form of a Masterwork tool of any kind as you will; it can take the form of an Improvised Weapon.

that is a very inventive idea, kudos for extreme creativity. But does it stand up by RAW? I didn't see a mention of improvised weapons in the enchantment description.

unseenmage
2014-01-04, 06:06 PM
Warforged Embedded Components (ECS) can be slotless and can be any Magic Item (possibly any item at all) for x2 the gp.

Using the 'Constructs are Magic Items' rules interpretation you can embed smaller Constructs into yourself.

Make an Effigy (CAr) of something with lots and lots of arms and then embed it. Use it's arms as your own.

Embed ladders, weapons, and extradimensional spaces as well for that true 'gadget' feel.

------

I don't believe we ever get to see the good Inspector without his coat/clothes. It's hard telling if his actual body is the source of the array of tools or some sort of exoskeleton.

The Clockwork Armor is made with the Craft Construct feat and therefor possibly considered a Construct. Using the 'Combining Magic Items' guidelines (DMG, MIC) you could add your array of neat tools to it and wear it as a sort of Inspector Gadget exoskeleton.

You could also play a Construct and add other items to yourself the same way.

Captnq
2014-01-04, 06:16 PM
Actually, I got to thinking about this when I made the augmentation handbook.

Okay, So first, go to my sig, get the EVD. Go to augmentation. Go to Just grafts. Read the warforged grafts.

Start with a human, of course. Now replace his arms and legs with Warformed limbs.

Go back up to the previous folder. Look up Warforged componets. Now a whole punch of those will fit on your arms and legs.

Now, here's the problem... You have slots for warforged equipment, but if it doesn't occupy warforged slots, it won't work for you. No slotless items, as it were. So, how to handle the multiple items that inspector Gadget has.

The only thing I can think of is some sort of custom extradimensional space that lets you switch out "gadgets" with the Command word, "Go Go Gadget ____"

But yeah, I'd start there.

Captnq
2014-01-04, 06:19 PM
For mudane items, a simple permanent item spell on anything you want will suffice. Go Go Gadget Ladder, and the ladder returns to normal size. Command word to shrink it back down.

Nettlekid
2014-01-04, 06:21 PM
Go Go Gadget Shapesand! I'm surprised this wasn't already mentioned. Since it can take the form of any mundane item, just have pouches of it all over your body/inside your body (maybe get some Warforged Grafts and find something that gives you a hollow body compartment) and then shape it into whatever you want it to be when you call out your Go Go Gadget power.

EDIT: Psychic Warrior with Call Item also works a treat.

Captnq
2014-01-04, 06:22 PM
Go Go Gadget Shapesand! I'm surprised this wasn't already mentioned. Since it can take the form of any mundane item, just have pouches of it all over your body/inside your body (maybe get some Warforged Grafts and find something that gives you a hollow body compartment) and then shape it into whatever you want it to be when you call out your Go Go Gadget power.

Yeah.. I thought about that... but it really didn't strike me as Inspector Gadget. That's more like, Inspector Nanobot.

unseenmage
2014-01-04, 06:30 PM
Yeah.. I thought about that... but it really didn't strike me as Inspector Gadget. That's more like, Inspector Nanobot.

Not only that Shapesand is shaped in minutes not rounds. Makes it almost useless mid combat.

Nettlekid
2014-01-04, 06:30 PM

I guess so. The sand shifting into forms isn't much of the "sproing" gadget style. But how about that Psychic Warrior then? Get baggy sleeves, a hat, trenchcoat, and have ranks in Sleight of Hand. Call Item in your clothes, and whip it out with a Go Go Gadget Flourish!

Deca4531
2014-01-04, 06:55 PM

I looked at the sand shaper class and it takes 1 min x DC to make something. And the DC is a caster lv check too.

"Go go gadget magnifying glass. ... ok guys just give it about 15 mins and ill be ready. "

Deca4531
2014-01-04, 06:57 PM
I guess so. The sand shifting into forms isn't much of the "sproing" gadget style. But how about that Psychic Warrior then? Get baggy sleeves, a hat, trenchcoat, and have ranks in Sleight of Hand. Call Item in your clothes, and whip it out with a Go Go Gadget Flourish!

Well I was hoping to keep it more physical and less magical.

Nettlekid
2014-01-04, 08:49 PM
Well I was hoping to keep it more physical and less magical.

While it's a power that calls the item to you, the item itself isn't a magical construct, if that's any consolation. Think of it as having any item you can think of stored in special hammerspace that only you can access, but that you can access at will. Like Inspector Gadget.

If you don't like the summoning thing, then Captnq's suggestion about keeping tons and tons of random items with Permanent Shrink Item on them on your person is probably the best you can do. Perhaps in a Heward's Handy Haversack so you can find what you're looking for.

Deca4531
2014-01-05, 01:54 PM
While it's a power that calls the item to you, the item itself isn't a magical construct, if that's any consolation. Think of it as having any item you can think of stored in special hammerspace that only you can access, but that you can access at will. Like Inspector Gadget.

If you don't like the summoning thing, then Captnq's suggestion about keeping tons and tons of random items with Permanent Shrink Item on them on your person is probably the best you can do. Perhaps in a Heward's Handy Haversack so you can find what you're looking for.

Storing the items shouldn't be a peoblem, its finding a way of calling to use at will without just rifling through my pockets.

Maybe if I used the void mind template and kept a bag of holding in my hat that tge tentacle could just reach into and pull stuff out of on command.