PDA

View Full Version : cart blanche bonus feat bonus

GhengisConrad
2014-01-04, 01:49 AM
I want to work on a build that is just a mess of Aberrent characteristics, I'm in love with most abberant feats. Thing is, racial hd feats come so few and far between, and we don't allow flaws...

Any way I can get more feats? Any classes that give you cart blanche feats, or feats that are racially motivated or anything?

JaronK
2014-01-04, 01:54 AM
Cheese method: Play as an elf, to get all those racial weapon proficiency feats. Now use the Dark Chaos shuffle to turn them into useful feats.

JaronK

OldTrees1
2014-01-04, 02:06 AM
Bonus feats that allow any feat:
HD
Human/"Human"/Strongheart Halfling
Chameleon (Races of Destiny)
Human Paragon (Unearthed Arcana)
Generic Classes (Unearthed Arcana)
Flaws (Unearthed Arcana)

GhengisConrad
2014-01-04, 02:18 AM
"human"?

also, you have to be human to get into chameleon? no anthro entry? itd be pointless to take human just to burn a feat on starspawn...

Gadora
2014-01-04, 02:26 AM
On the off chance that delaying a feat might be useful, you can take Skill Focus: Dipomacy, and follow it up with a level of marshal. It's a handy way to scoot around skill ranks or BAB prerequisites.

OldTrees1
2014-01-04, 02:54 AM
"human"?

also, you have to be human to get into chameleon? no anthro entry? itd be pointless to take human just to burn a feat on starspawn...

"Human" is all those races that are related to Human, are not subtypes of Human and yet retain the Human racial bonus feat.

Chameleon requires Human or Doppelganger, not really useful for your situation.

GhengisConrad
2014-01-04, 09:47 AM
yeah, I'm not against human or doppelgänger per se. But if I need baked wings, they cost at least one feat otherwise... although maybe there are some wing granting classes so I could sneak in as a human... hmmmm.....

Rubik
2014-01-04, 12:09 PM
Well, you have flaws, of course, and any feat you can use the Dark Chaos Feat Shuffle on can basically be whatever you want.

That means:
Flaw feats
HD-based feats
Racial bonus feats
Class bonus feats
Magical location feats
And items granting feats

Are all fair game.

I managed to get several hundreds of feats using 20th level WBL and adding as many feats onto weapons and armor as I could find, and then DCFSing all of them.

Gemini476
2014-01-04, 12:42 PM
Bonus feats that allow any feat:
HD
Human/"Human"/Strongheart Halfling
Chameleon (Races of Destiny)
Human Paragon (Unearthed Arcana)
Generic Classes (Unearthed Arcana)
Flaws (Unearthed Arcana)

There's also the Thrall of Orcus, but that's a bad class that requires three bad feats to enter. Although you can get those feats from Elder Evils by level 15, so yay?

There's also some "humans" that don't get carte blanche feats, like the Vasharans from BoVD that are limited to [Vile] feats. So keep an eye out for that.

The Viscount
2014-01-05, 10:41 AM
Savant 2 gives you a bonus feat with no restrictions.

GhengisConrad
2014-01-05, 10:58 AM
Savant 2 gives you a bonus feat with no restrictions.

NICE!
Many thanks to you sir, and your efforts.

The Viscount
2014-01-06, 11:10 AM
You're very welcome. I always want to see Savant getting more play.

T.G. Oskar
2014-01-09, 10:06 AM
"Human" is all those races that are related to Human, are not subtypes of Human and yet retain the Human racial bonus feat.

Chameleon requires Human or Doppelganger, not really useful for your situation.

Actually, Changeling is allowed if you're using the PrC on Eberron, since the Changeling is a race that blends Human and Doppleganger traits. It's explicitly mentioned, after the class features section (not sure if in the Adaptation section or strictly afterwards).

If stretching the term, you can also play as a Vasharan, which is explictly stated as an "evil human", but a human nonetheless. Likewise, Azurins are "humans imbued with incarnum", and Aventi are "aquatic humans"; all three technically qualify as humans because of the strong implications that they're human variants, but unlike the Changeling they aren't explicitly mentioned. That goes without mentioning that you could also play as an Ethereal Doppleganger, which is to a Doppleganger what a Vasharan, Azurin or Aventi is to a human.

Gemini476
2014-01-09, 10:20 AM
Actually, Changeling is allowed if you're using the PrC on Eberron, since the Changeling is a race that blends Human and Doppleganger traits. It's explicitly mentioned, after the class features section (not sure if in the Adaptation section or strictly afterwards).

If stretching the term, you can also play as a Vasharan, which is explictly stated as an "evil human", but a human nonetheless. Likewise, Azurins are "humans imbued with incarnum", and Aventi are "aquatic humans"; all three technically qualify as humans because of the strong implications that they're human variants, but unlike the Changeling they aren't explicitly mentioned. That goes without mentioning that you could also play as an Ethereal Doppleganger, which is to a Doppleganger what a Vasharan, Azurin or Aventi is to a human.

Don't forget Silverbrow Humans, Karsites, and pretty much anything else with Humanoid(Human).

Races of Destiny is probably the best source as to what counts as human and what doesn't. There's a sidebar and everything.

Zweisteine
2014-01-16, 08:18 PM
If you want wings, Unseelie Fey is the template for you! Free wings, neat SLA-ish abilities, and other good stuff to boot! Combine with Magic-blooded for even more charisma and even more fun (apply magic-blooded first, though, so you can have both dark- and low-light vision).

If you don't want to have as many feats, playing a Winged Warforged works, and having someone cast Incarnate Construct on you to remove the LA. Sadly, it's a rather expensive spell to buy a casting of (I believe it has a not-tiny experience cost).

GhengisConrad
2014-01-16, 09:04 PM
If you want wings, Unseelie Fey is the template for you!

My understanding is that this template cannot be used on playable characters. Thus the level adjustment of -- (which is not zero, but n/a, because its for NPCs only).

OldTrees1
2014-01-16, 09:14 PM
The sample creature (unseelie fey gnome) is LA +0.
However wings are random and might not exist/be non functional.

Zweisteine
2014-01-16, 09:40 PM
I see "select the wings or roll randomly."

There is not a level adjustment of –, but rather a lack of level adjustment listing at all. The +0 comes from the example creature, an Unseelie Fey gnome, which has no level adjustment. Gnomes have no level adjustment. Unseelie Fey Gnomes have no level adjustment. Therefore, Unseelie Fey has no level adjustment.

GhengisConrad
2014-01-16, 09:42 PM
this seems... like cheating.

Seriously. Its *too* good, no?

iron vulnerability... is it that troublesome? I mean, wings in exchange for iron vulnerability... really?

OldTrees1
2014-01-16, 10:05 PM
this seems... like cheating.

Seriously. Its *too* good, no?

iron vulnerability... is it that troublesome? I mean, wings in exchange for iron vulnerability... really?

What is the default metal in Studded Leather?

However I agree that taking the most beneficial option on the random charts is definately *too* good for a template already listed as a Tier 1 template.

GhengisConrad
2014-01-16, 10:11 PM
Well, especially at higher levels. Wings, ALWAYS a plus. Later on, no one uses Steel or Iron anyway!

I gues, for me, the question is, why isn't everyone an unseelie fey?

OldTrees1
2014-01-16, 10:15 PM
Well, especially at higher levels. Wings, ALWAYS a plus. Later on, no one uses Steel or Iron anyway!

I gues, for me, the question is, why isn't everyone an unseelie fey?

Since every build can be improved by unseelie fey, not everyone will stoop to make their build include unseelie fey.

Zweisteine
2014-01-16, 10:22 PM
I guess, for me, the question is, why isn't everyone an unseelie fey?

The same reasons not everyone plays wizards, clerics, or druids, and a few more.

If you're playing a melee warrior, chances are you have some metal on you. Ouch for the Fey.
If you're playing an Incarnate, you don't want to lose Con.
If you're playing anything unoptimized, you're trying not to optimize.
If your DM bans it or shoves an LA on it, that's a reason (and not unrealistic, either). I'd probably peg it at +1 LA without wings, or +2 with wings (but I'd bump maneuverability up to good). Might still be low, but the people who are already overpowered (primary casters) won't want it so much, because of the lost casting, and other classes benefit a bit less, because you need more metal the further down the tiers you go (yes, that's a generalization, but it's clow enough for my purposes). An unseelie fey fighter is still a fighter.