PDA

View Full Version : Dextrity for Climb/Jump?

Malek
2007-01-20, 03:35 AM
Pretty much as in topic. Is there any feat that allows using Dextrity instead Strength for Climb and/or Jump checks? (I have a feeling i saw something like that but can't remember where so I figured I'd ask)

Lothorus
2007-01-20, 03:47 AM
Hum. At the DM's discretion, I guess it could work. For example, darting up a rubble-covered hill might require more agility rather than strength. But long-term climbing, like scaling a cliffside, might be more an effort of endurance and strength than agility.

Edit: Oh, right. Unfortunately, I don't remember seeing any feats or class abilities like this, although it might be worthwhile to take a look at the Swashbuckler class from CA.

Also, I seem to remember a mountain-climbing prestige class from Frostburn, but I doubt it has anything relevant.

Cybren
2007-01-20, 03:49 AM
honestly i'm not sure how useful a feat that did that would be unless that was just another benefit of an otherwise not related ability

Everyman
2007-01-20, 04:42 AM
I believe that feat exists somewhere. Check the feat lists at the WotC's website. They have complete lists of almost all their material (excluding recent releases), so it should be somewhere.

Ikkitosen
2007-01-20, 04:50 AM
Agile Athlete, RotW, does exactly what you want.

Macrovore
2007-01-20, 08:13 AM
http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Agile_Athlete,RW

Malek
2007-01-20, 10:07 AM
Ahh thanks both of you, I knew I saw it somewhere.

honestly i'm not sure how useful a feat that did that would be unless that was just another benefit of an otherwise not related ability

One word: Ninja - character that makes large use of Climb/Jump but often has little Str and high Dex

Ikkitosen
2007-01-20, 10:46 AM
Yeah, a feat that adds +6 to climb and jump would be pretty powerful, and yet this can do that for weak, dextrous characters.

Matthew
2007-01-20, 10:52 AM
Well, strictly speaking it doesn't add +6, as it is dependent on low Strength and high Dexterity and one replaces the other, rather than supplementing it. Still, potentially powerful.

Personally, I think Jump, Swim, Climb and Ride are all Skills that should be realted to both Strength and Dexterity by default.

Ikkitosen
2007-01-20, 11:29 AM
Well, strictly speaking it doesn't add +6, as it is dependent on low Strength and high Dexterity and one replaces the other, rather than supplementing it. Still, potentially powerful.

Personally, I think Jump, Swim, Climb and Ride are all Skills that should be realted to both Strength and Dexterity by default.

Lol, of course. My point is a feat's power is measured by the instance in which it is taken by someone who can make best use of it. So a Str 8 Dex 20 halfling gets an effective +6 to those skills, making it a powerful feat in that case. I would go so far as to say that no Str 20 Dex 10 half-orc is going to take this feat, but that doesn't make it weak.

After all, Leap Attack is a terrible feat when taken by the average Wizard...

Aximili
2007-01-20, 03:30 PM
I would say all skills should be related to two ability scores at the same time. Some would be related twice to the same ability, and others would be related once to each of two diferent abilities.

Vampiric
2007-01-20, 03:50 PM
I would agree with Lothorus, DM's discretion rules, depending on the type of climbing your character's doing, it should be str or dex - str for a straight or prolonged climb, and dex for difficult handholds, shimmying across ledges, etc...

krossbow
2007-01-20, 03:52 PM
Climb and jump are two of the most worthless skills in the game, unless your DM specifically tailors the setting to it. I personally don't think it's worth a feat. :p

Still, for things like swimming and such, I can easily see the dex being used.

Matthew
2007-01-20, 03:55 PM
That is how my Home Brew runs. Attributes aren't rigidly fixed to Skills, but a negative modifier always applies (i.e. you add the best positive modifier and the worst negative modifier).

Shisumo
2007-01-20, 04:27 PM
Climb and jump are two of the most worthless skills in the game, unless your DM specifically tailors the setting to it.

It's not always the DM who finds ways to make Climb or Jump useful. For example, when playing through Whispers of the Vampire's Blade, when the sky pirates attacked the Lyrandar ship, my 5th level duskblade used swift expeditious retreat to jump over to the skiff full of archers, and proceeded to play whack-a-mole by channeling shocking grasp through his longsword and preventing counterattacks with swift invisibility. Yes, a 5th level wizard could have just used fly, but my way was so much cooler...

Miles Invictus
2007-01-20, 06:48 PM
*reads Shisumo's anecdote*

That's awesome.