PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Death Knight-like Magus

Muktidata
2014-01-04, 02:54 AM
Here's my race:

Forsaken

+4 Strength, -2 Charisma, -2 Dexterity

Undead: The Forsaken are undead. As such they have the following features:
Undead have no Constitution score. Undead use their Charisma score in place of their Constitution score when calculating hit points, Fortitude saves, and any special ability that relies on Constitution (such as when calculating a breath weapon's DC).
Undead have the darkvision 60 feet racial trait.
Undead are immune to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, morale effects, patterns, and phantasms).
Undead are immune to bleed damage, death effects, disease, paralysis, poison, sleep effects, and stunning.
Undead are harmed by positive energy and healed by negative energy. An undead creature with the fast healing special quality still benefits from that quality.
The Forsaken are affected by "spells" that restore them to life, they return to life as Forsaken, as their spirits have become used their new state of undeath.
Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep, unless they want to gain some beneficial effect from one of these activities. This means that an undead creature can drink potions to benefit from their effects and can sleep in order to regain spells, but neither of these activities is required to survive or stay in good health.

Languages: Forsaken begin play knowing Gutterspeak. If they have a wisdome score of 12 or higher they retain the knowledge of how to speak Common. Furthermore, members of this race with high Intelligence scores can learn any languages they want (except for secret languages).

Prior Race: All Forsaken were once living beings. The vast majority were either Human, Dwarfs, or High/Blood Elves. When making a Forsaken character please note on your character sheet which you were - and remember your Forsaken self will still be recognizable of originally being that race.

Since I can choose my former race (before I turned undead), I can probably qualify for racial traits and feats and just work them into my background.

I'm only ECL 1, but let's go ahead and sketch a build shall we?

I'm trying to capture the elements of a Death Knight from the World of Warcraft MMORPG. I figured this was my best bet at doing that in PF besides Anti-Paladin. I'm planning to go STR-based and focus on [Cold] spells/abilities. Any advice?

I read the only Magus Handbook in existence and didn't really get much out of it since the writer seemed to recommend and cater to the Dex-based Magus.

Which Archetypes are better? What feats/traits/general direction do you think I should go in?

Sources:
- www.d20pfsrd.com
- any published WoW RPG d20 material

- PS, I've never played the WoW MMO. So.. Yeah, you will probably think of a lot of stuff I haven't.

BWR
2014-01-04, 05:44 AM
If you really want to play a Death Knight (I assume the WoW DK is bascially the old D&D DK), play the PF Graveknight (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/bestiary3/graveknight.html#_graveknight)

Sure, it has +2 LA but it's got some nifty abilities, including coming back from the dead so long as your armor is not destroyed.

Muktidata
2014-01-04, 11:27 AM
I cant change my race.

JHShadon
2014-01-04, 11:45 AM
It's a template. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/graveknight-cr-2)

Muktidata
2014-01-04, 01:20 PM
I have to stay vanilla Forsaken for campaign reasons.

Anyway, is there anything else in PF that stands out as overly Death Knight (from WoW) other than the +2CR Graveknight template and Anti-Paladin?

I wonder if Cleric could be turned into a pseudo-DK.

Sayt
2014-01-04, 02:59 PM
-2 Charisma on an undead race is nasty in pathfinder, welcome to not many HP.

Anyway, Bladebound Magus is very 'Arthas Menethil'. Magic intelligent sword, gives powers, etc.

Oracle of Battle/Anscestors could be built as a Death Knight with the right revelation/curse choices, and a Cleric could do so as well, especially if you're foreseeking mostly living enemies and go Channel Smite (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/channel-smite-combat), but you'd want to put some points in charisma due to channels/day and channel DCs, besides the fact that you're sourcing your HP from Cha as a member of the Differently Alive.

From there, you might want to have a look at the (un)Holy Vindicator (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/holy-vindicator), which gives you martial weapon prof, Heavy armour, 7/10 casting and full bab. That said, I'd ask your GM about a few of the class features of Holy Vindicator: Ask if it's Faith Healing can be the afflict spells, and ask you the Vidicator's stigmata works with your immunity to bleed. (A very/too lenient GM might have it work as if you're taking the bleed for the benefits but not take the damage, a more reasonable GM might rule that the Stigmata breaks through the bleed immune.)

Muktidata
2014-01-04, 05:46 PM
Okay, I think I'll give the Bladebound Magus a try. Is there anything useful that can be bought with 1050 starting gold?

I am thinking of making a case for the unerrata'ed Heirloom weapon and roleplaying an Arthas-style character. Comes from a wealthy background, noble, etc, turned Forsaken. Seeks vengeance against those who destroyed his family's legacy.