PDA

View Full Version : Gaining traits per level, Type or Class?

MobiusHero
2014-01-04, 03:00 AM
I was curious, if you make a character who has a type (such as Outsider) that gives a higher number of skill points per level than your class. which number do you take?

For example if i make a Paladin normally i get 2+int Skill points per level. However an Aasimar gets 6+int skill points per level. which one would an Aasimar Paladin take?

Same question for BAB progression. Outsiders get fast progression, but a wizard gets slow progression. Which takes priority?

Greenish
2014-01-04, 03:02 AM
Racial HD gives you BAB, skills, etc. based on your type. Class levels give you class HD (with associate BAB, skills, etc.).

Coidzor
2014-01-04, 03:07 AM
You take your skill points and class skills based upon the kind of hit die that you're gaining, so any Racial Hit Dice you might gain would be whatever type you are, Humanoid, Outsider, Magical Beast, whatever, unless specified otherwise(Like Lycanthropes and Emantothropes gaining Animal or Vermin RHD as part of the template), with the size of the hit dice, the number of skill points they give, and the way the save progression being whatever is appropriate for the Type of the creature.

Unless you're talking about a substitution level for Aasimar Paladins, you take the 2+int skill points each time you take an additional Paladin level because you're gaining a Paladin HD, not an Outsider HD.

You only get BAB progression from your Type if you have Racial Hit Dice. You only get BAB progression from your class for your levels in that class. You add together the BAB progressions from both RHD and class levels to get your character's actual BAB. So, say, a Dragon with 4 RHD and 2 levels of Sorcerer would have a BAB of 5, and if they had racial sorcerer casting as a 2nd level Sorcerer, they would cast as a 4th level Sorcerer and have access to 2nd level spells due to the racial sorcerer casting combining with the class levels in Sorcerer.

Urpriest's Monster Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207928) may be of use to you.

MobiusHero
2014-01-04, 03:16 AM
Ah, thank you for clearing that up! ^_^