PDA

View Full Version : "Ability to cast arcane spells without preparation"

GhengisConrad
2014-01-04, 10:53 AM
So... trying really hard to pick up a bite attack

This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127463) was cool, but didn't really shake anything loose for me.

Except.

Dragon Disciple. Now THAT's pretty nifty. Unfortunately, need to have "Ability to cast arcane spells without preparation", and my build is tight enough as it is, and can't afford another dip...

was thinking of throwing gnome in some how... but that just doesn't even fly in 3.5 anymore! plus its a glut of other headaches.

I'm feat starved, I'm dip starved. I don't even think it can be done for me, but, hey, worth a try?

Bonus points if you can think of a clever way for me to gain a bite attack that isn't Warshaper (too much abuseability, banned at my table too)

sepchan
2014-01-04, 11:14 AM
Your post doesn't mention which rules you play by or what content is allowed other than your line about gnome in 3.5. If you use Pathfinder there are several ways to gain a bite attack. For example, you could use an alternate racial trait to be a "Toothy" Half-Orc with a 1d4 bite attack instead of orc ferocity.

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-04, 11:20 AM
It doesn't answer your question about casting arcane spells without preparation, but as far as getting a bite attack without spending levels or feats...

Fanged Mask? That gives you a bite attack and just costs some GP, no feats or dips. Alternatively, domain draughts of the Hunger domain will temporarily give you a bite attack - cheaper in the short term, far more expensive in the long term.

There is probably a graft that gives you one as well, but I'm coming up empty for now.

(Also, seriously, there are very few diptastic builds that wouldn't benefit from a cloistered cleric dip, and in that case you can pick up Knowledge Devotion, the Hunger domain for a bite attack, and a third useful domain or devotion feat.)

Nettlekid
2014-01-04, 11:22 AM
What's the rest of the build? We can probably slip some sort of ACF in somehow, or use a better PrC than Dragon Disciple, if we know what else you're going with.

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-04, 11:24 AM
Also, considering that your build has a bunch of eldritch abomination flavor already, have you looked into devoting yourself to an Elder Evil? You can find the information on page 10 of the Elder Evils sourcebook. Doing so gives you a bonus [Vile] feat every five levels, which you can use to pick up Willing Deformity -> Deformity (Teeth).

GhengisConrad
2014-01-04, 11:27 AM
hunger domain! yes! perfect. now. any non tier 1 classes that give that hinger domain ability? preferabley with a fighters bab? id settle for a martial theme.

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-04, 11:35 AM
Hmm. Good question. Divine Crusader will do it, but it requires feats to qualify for, so if you're feat starved it may not be the best choice. Same with Sovereign Speaker (and that doesn't even have a martial flavor). Maybe OA Shaman? But that might count as tier 1...

Nettlekid
2014-01-04, 11:37 AM
hunger domain! yes! perfect. now. any non tier 1 classes that give that hinger domain ability? preferabley with a fighters bab? id settle for a martial theme.

To be thoroughly uninteresting: take one level of Fighter, get the bonus feat, then do the Dark Chaos Feat Shuffle to switch it out for Planar Touchstone, linking to the Catalogues of Enlightenment, and choosing the Hunger Domain as your domain.

GhengisConrad
2014-01-04, 12:17 PM
dark chaos too cheezy to be legal at my table.

any deities with claw or unarmed strike as their favored weapon? whats their alignment?

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-04, 12:19 PM
Several, but none that I can think of with the Hunger domain. Ilsensine, the patron deity of mind flayers, seems like the closest match for what you're going for.

Nettlekid
2014-01-04, 12:25 PM
What is your build?!

GhengisConrad
2014-01-04, 12:28 PM
im actually on the road right now. cant google so well. apparently adepts in eberron get a domain? is this a viable option?

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-04, 12:39 PM
im actually on the road right now. cant google so well. apparently adepts in eberron get a domain? is this a viable option?

The religious adept from Eberron gets the spells from one domain added to its list, but I don't think it actual gets the domain granted ability, which is what you want here.

That said... if you really don't want to dip a tier 1 class, can't afford a feat for Planar Touchstone, and really want the Hunger domain, I'd go with a Divine Crusader of the Dark Six. They grant the Hunger domain, and have a kama as their favored weapon. Why is this relevant? Because the scorpion kama, found in Magic Item Compendium, deals damage equal to your unarmed strike.

Nettlekid
2014-01-04, 12:44 PM
*sigh* The absolute easiest thing you could do would be to make a custom magic item, a continuous item of Jaws of the Moray. Get it made by a Sorcerer or Wizard with Precocious Apprentice to give it a CL of 1, thus the price is 2*1*2000*2=8000 gold for a bite attack. 2*3*2000*2=24000 to get it made just normally at CL 3.

If you're okay with mandibles, get the Grasping Mandibles graft from the Illithid Graft section in the Fiend Folio.

If you aren't locked into your race, why not be a Longtooth Shifter? Or if you have access to Faerun, be an Elf or Human from the right region and take the Magical Training feat which gives you the ability to cast three 0 level spells, which gets you the non-prep arcane casting you originally asked about.

Honestly, if you're willing to spend two levels on Dragon Disciple to get a bite attack, then one level of Cleric to get the Hunger domain shouldn't be a huge issue.

GhengisConrad
2014-01-04, 01:03 PM
is there a way to get planar touchstone as a bonus feat?

Nettlekid
2014-01-04, 01:05 PM
is there a way to get planar touchstone as a bonus feat?

As far as I'm aware, there's no class that says "You gain Planar Touchstone as a bonus feat." However, anything that gives "a bonus feat" which can be anything, could get it. This includes things like like Human, Strongheart Halfling, the Human Paragon PrC, Chameleon, etc.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-04, 01:36 PM
If you already prepare arcane spells, you could do Alacritous Cogitation.

What is your build?!

Some kind of ridiculous feral half-minotaur strongheart halfling monstrosity which he's been working on for months.

Draken
2014-01-04, 01:38 PM
If you can spare two levels, Totemist is probably your best bet for getting a bite.

You can pick the flavor of the bite too. It can come with extra acid damage and armor, extra electricity damage and electricity resistance, a bonus on intimidate checks and an enhancement bonus, climbing bonus, poison and an enhancement bonus, flanking immunity plus two bites plus a gore attack, hide and move silently plus a bite with enhancement bonus.

And if you can change between all of those on a daily basis.

Plus all the other cool stuff totemist 2 will give.