PDA

View Full Version : Ooze like creature

PraxisVetli
2014-01-04, 12:28 PM
Ok, So I made a thread a while back looking to make a sort of "quick" ooze. Something that didn't have 5 AC and could move fast enough to be an avid predator. The results were mostly underwhelming.
Then I found this baby, the Akalith in Fiend Folio.
Now, I was looking to get it to about CR 23-24.
It comes with the option to just advance it that far, but I was hoping to mix it up a bit.
Any good ooze-like templates out there?
Savage Species has Gelatinous, but that seems pretty lame, and it slows it down.
Suggestions?

PraxisVetli
2014-01-04, 01:13 PM
shameless self bump

Darrin
2014-01-04, 02:50 PM
Skitterhaunt (www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20021123a) could be fun, if you can find a fast enough vermin.

If you need it to be faster, try looking at the Spellwarped template (MM3). It's got this absorption effect that speeds it up if you cast a spell at it. Except they forgot to put a duration on it. So you could cast a bunch of spells on it, boost the speed up to about 6700', break the sound barrier when it moves.

Vedhin
2014-01-04, 03:08 PM
Also, try Bloodstained (http://wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/pg20011212b) if you want it to have an Intelligence score. Adding Sentry Ooze from Dungeonscape gives you a playable ooze!

Viros
2014-01-04, 03:36 PM
Also, try Bloodstained (http://wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/pg20011212b) if you want it to have an Intelligence score. Adding Sentry Ooze from Dungeonscape gives you a playable ooze!

Unfortunately that wouldn't create a playable character because Bloodstained doesn't have a listed LA, so PCs aren't eligible to use it.

PraxisVetli
2014-01-04, 10:03 PM
Skitterhaunt (www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20021123a) could be fun, if you can find a fast enough vermin.

If you need it to be faster, try looking at the Spellwarped template (MM3). It's got this absorption effect that speeds it up if you cast a spell at it. Except they forgot to put a duration on it. So you could cast a bunch of spells on it, boost the speed up to about 6700', break the sound barrier when it moves.
Skitterhaunt is wicked. Any good things to add to vermin to make em nasty?

Bloodstained is cool, doesn't help at all with this concept, but does beautiful things to another encounter I wanted (Monstrous Vampire Ruin Chanters, now with Demon-Possessed Bloodstained Ruin Elementals at their side! EXCELLENT)

Thurbane
2014-01-04, 11:45 PM
Large Monstrous Scorpion of some Giant Ants are 50 feet - there's probably faster out there though.

Throw Sentry Ooze (Dungeonscape) in there as well.

PraxisVetli
2014-01-05, 12:43 AM
Large Monstrous Scorpion of some Giant Ants are 50 feet - there's probably faster out there though.

Throw Sentry Ooze (Dungeonscape) in there as well.

Yeah, I was thinking something creepy, a Spider or Scorpion or something.
Maybe a homebrew Earwig.
I think that instead of the ooze running like the template says it should. I think it should be a "This isn't even my final form!" type of thing.

complete side note.
This Skitterhaunt template with a tweaked out Living Spell in a Devastation Scorpion.
run.

Gemini476
2014-01-05, 01:18 AM

Bloodstained Sentry Ooze doesn't work, since one of those needs an Ooze and the other needs Undead (or true elementals). I'm not sure if any templates exist to bridge the gap.

And for those commenting on them not having LA, there are some dumb rules on templates involving how everything not mentioned is the same as the base creature. Including LA, presumably.
For base creatures having no mentioned LA is LA -, however. The rules are weird like that.

Isn't there anything that will give me a Sentry Ooze Skitterhaunt Hairy Spider with Int 3+? There just isn't much out there that boosts the Int of Oozes.
Without changing their type, that is.

PraxisVetli
2014-01-05, 01:25 AM
Bloodstained Sentry Ooze doesn't work, since one of those needs an Ooze and the other needs Undead (or true elementals). I'm not sure if any templates exist to bridge the gap.

And for those commenting on them not having LA, there are some dumb rules on templates involving how everything not mentioned is the same as the base creature. Including LA, presumably.
For base creatures having no mentioned LA is LA -, however. The rules are weird like that.

Isn't there anything that will give me a Sentry Ooze Skitterhaunt Hairy Spider with Int 3+? There just isn't much out there that boosts the Int of Oozes.

Does Awaken work?

Vedhin
2014-01-05, 08:42 AM

That'll teach me to read better.

Since it's 3.0, the DM can assign a LA also.

Leveling up bonuses?

ShurikVch
2014-01-05, 10:02 AM
Ghaunadan from Monsters of Faerūn
Medium Aberration (Shapechanger)
5 HD
Speed: 30 ft.
AC: 19 (+2 Dex, +7 natural)
Special Attacks: Paralysis, charming gaze
Special Qualities: Change shape, disarm, DR 5/piercing or slashing, blindsight, immunities
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 16
LA +6

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mof_gallery/MonFaePG49.jpg

CrazyYanmega
2014-01-06, 02:38 PM
If you're looking for a High CR Ooze, and you're okay with MM2, I'd recommend the Teratomorph, and advance it. It has a fly speed of 50 ft, it's touch causes horrible transformations, randomly warps reality... it's a fun monster to throw at people. It even protects itself from physical damage with a 20% miss chance that can't be bypassed by True Seeing or True Strike.